Kitten Biting Kitten

bout3fitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First:

We're newbies - both to the site & to being kitten "parents". I grew up with a few cats but was never responsible for them. My wife never had a cat. If I am posting something that has been thoroughly discussed elsewhere on the site, my apologies & please point me at it. I've looked but there are a LOT of posts here & the VAST majority of biting issues are about cats biting people; not one kitten biting on the other.

Background:

Rocky the kitten came to us on 5/6 around 4 weeks old, 1.1 pounds & starving after being found in a stone yard where my step-daughter works. He is a biter & is extremely active. My wife & I both work but we are fortunate in that my wife works from home & I can most of the time so he has gotten plenty of attention. But, we thought it would be good to get him a playmate as he seems to need more attention than we generally are able to give during work hours at least. Plus, I'd like to start making a few more appearances at the office again...

Since shelters allow adoptions only at 8 weeks or later, we adopted Chloe at 8 weeks old on 6/7 so they'd be basically the same age. She is a very friendly, docile & well-socialized girl that had been given up with her mother & siblings. We learned too late that we ought to have gotten another high energy guy like Rocky. We live in a bi-level that Rocky had the run of upstairs. The lower/basement level had been blocked off more because of my lack of time to kitten-proof it than anything else so that (after the kitten-proofing) became Chloe's area when we brought her home. I slept down there for over a week on a couch & my wife & I have regular play & cuddle sessions with her. We did the "exchange smells" on washcloths, getting past his hissing at anything that smelled like her, graduating to footsy under the door at around 3 days & introduced them at 4 days.

The Biting:

Rocky initially bit hands & feet regularly. After a bit of a stutter-start (I played with him with my hands for exactly one day before getting corrected & then completely stopped. I tried squirt bottles with initial but quick-waning success.), he has largely stopped biting humans. If he is picked up & doesn't want to be he bites. But, if he bites us "unprovoked" we just tell him firmly "No biting!" & I ignore him for a few minutes.

Our problem/question area is kitten to kitten play time. We started putting them together 2 weeks ago. He - at nearly 4 pounds - is significantly larger than she is - about 2.75 - & since he is/was resident & male he is showing what appears to be dominance with a splash of territory defense & a large helping of "Mama didn't teach me better so I'm gonna bite the HECK out of you." This appears to me to be more than just standard play, but again this is all new to me. I've read a good deal - forum posts, web articles, books - on the subject & it appears the origin of the biting is his early separation from Mom.He just never learned not to. But, we're "Mom" now.

Lots of people say it's "normal" for them to rough-house & I get that. But, he regularly bites down hard enough on her to cause her to cry out. No blood yet, though. The chase/tackle/nip/scratch/paw each other thing I get. The chomping down hard enough for her to cry & hiss seems excessive to us. I've seen references to having them together until they groom each other. Will that really ever happen between a boy & a girl? I've seen other introduction advice in several places that says have them play together but supervise. Supervise for what? For too much intensity, right? Doesn't this qualify?

We are getting them together about 3 times a day for about a half hour or 45 minutes each time now. I have been trying "time-outs" for a week where I put him in a bathroom for 2 - 3 minutes for biting too hard after reading that advice somewhere to help for biting people. For a day or two, that seemed to have the desired effect. He'd come out mellower & not go after her as intensely. Now, it's like the penalty box in a hockey game. When the door opens, he flies out of there at full speed. He may or may not go right back to full-on hard biting. So, here we are a full 2 weeks into the introduction & she is still living in the basement with occasional visitation to the upper floor. We bring her up to hang out in the office with us while we work keeping him out several times a day so she isn't just "locked in the dungeon". We have dreams of them getting along without supervision. But, we are beginning to wonder when that will happen...

Am I over-reacting? Do we need to just let them have at it? It seems like that will result in her being hurt & that seems a little harsh for her. She is now biting more, too. There was initially almost none of that from her but she is adopting his behavior I think - which is understandable given that she needs to defend herself. She is almost always coming back for more (99% of the time) as opposed to hiding somewhere & not coming out until he's gone. Does that mean all is well?

Of Note:

The intensity seems a little bit higher in "his" (upstairs) territory than downstairs. They play in both areas but mostly did it downstairs initially.

After Chloe got here, Rocky began attempting to "nurse" on my wife. The wife has taken on the cuddling Mom role quite well & doesn't discourage him & it has largely subsided. Chloe is self-nursing. Both of these seem to indicate insecurity.

Any insight from those with experience would be much appreciated.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, everyone is going through changes. I think you are doing the right things; it may take Rocky a while more to "get" that biting is bad. I would venture to say a lot will change once he's neutered. They do calm down a lot after that. At four pounds, the vet may be willing to do that now. Talk to him. As you stated, you are mom and dad now, so their lessons will largely come from you.

We had three week old twins, a boy and a girl. He picked on her for the longest time, until one day she had had it. The look on his face was priceless and he still doesn't mess with her whe he's in that mood. I suspect Chloe will most likely chime in as she gets older anymore confident.

Thank you for helping them.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Play with him by himself with a fishing pole type cat toy like Da Bird, I've yet to see a cat that doesn't like them. Let him get his extra energy out on that at least 2x a day and especially before you put the kittens together. 

Having said that, it's sometimes hard to tell when you are new at cats what is play and what is fighting. It sounds like normal play to me. No one is actually getting physically hurt. Those noises can be warning to the other kitten that you went too far, and that is fine they learn from that. My litter of kittens play rough enough with each other that they all do that and sometimes a cat is more or a hisser or growler than others. That doesn't mean that they are automatically being more aggressive. I have an adult cat that is a growler and a year old one that is a hisser. Those are their default expressions when something isn't going the way they like. Neither of them are bullies and I've never had a cat fight. 

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lots of people say it's "normal" for them to rough-house & I get that. But, he regularly bites down hard enough on her to cause her to cry out. No blood yet, though. The chase/tackle/nip/scratch/paw each other thing I get. The chomping down hard enough for her to cry & hiss seems excessive to us. I've seen references to having them together until they groom each other. Will that really ever happen between a boy & a girl? I've seen other introduction advice in several places that says have them play together but supervise. Supervise for what? For too much intensity, right? Doesn't this qualify?
To me the key question is: Does he STOP when she cries out/hisses and back off, even if it is only for a little bit? Or does he continue full force? If he stops (even if he resumes in a few seconds without biting) he is getting the message, and you are overreacting.  My two cats still occasionally cry out when they play fight, and when one of them does, the other one is like 'oops my bad' and backs off before resuming play fighting.

If instead she cries out and he keeps biting just the same as he was before she cried out, that's not great, but as others have said he is in a learning phase.  What you have to do then is supervise and if he is not backing off after she cries out, you have to lift him off her and set him down far away or similar.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bout3fitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The nuetering is currently scheduled for 8/5. We'll talk to the Vet to see if accelerating that seems like a good idea to her at his size.

We have played with him more than her individually to a degree just purely because his energy level seems to demand it. An increase in that - especially, before a kitty get-together to lower his energy level - seems like a great idea. I put "Da Bird" in my Amazon bucket for the next order. We have some similar toys, but that looks like a good one to add.

Chloe does seem to be more vocal than he is. But, the "too hard" bites (thus, the cries) seem only to happen when he is particularly amped up. Sometimes he starts that way. Sometimes, they play for 20 minutes before it happens. Once in a GREAT while they make it through an entire session with zero incidents. I think that has happened twice...

As far as whether he stops when she cries out, it is mixed. He has reacted both ways. When I see him back off (somewhere around a third of the time) I have praised him or at least not given the time-out. But, I have often seen him not even take his mouth off her & just bite down again immediately.

Thanks all of you for your input! I feel a lot better knowing we're generally on the right track & will add some fine-tuning as suggested.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You sound like you're keeping a good eye on things... Those fights can look quite vicious and it's good to be watchful.

Keep us posted and let us know if you're worried about anything.

And if you would like to, come and introduce yourself and your two kitties at http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bout3fitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Follow up...

It took 6 weeks & maybe it didn't have to... depending... - but, we have peace in the local kitten world. I used a mix of all the suggestions - so, thank you all!

I did a little extra playing with him..., specifically - "Da Bird" is DA BOMB! How does ANY cat owner get away with not owning one of these???

The BIG difference was getting the FIX in, though. We accelerated that by a month based on this recommendation... After he got neutered, the difference was so big she was trying - even at a significant weight disadvantage - and successfully - to become the dominant one... He became MUCH more docile.

So, it can happen... :)