Kitten Bites Everything!

yukipazookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

So this is Bandit, I adopted him at the beginning of July when he was about 2 months old. He's about to turn 4 months in about a week and he is a troublemaker. He literally bites everything. Loves biting electrical cords, feet, ankles, hands, bobby pins, pretty much anything laying around...

He runs around a lot and I play with him with his toys constantly so he'll be tired but he is relentless. I've lifted cords off the floor and tied them up so he can't get them but he always finds a way to get to them. I've tried wrapping tin foil around things, spray bottle with water, clapping, making loud noises, anything to make him run away but he's not scared of anything. He just stays there. I don't think he gets the concept of scolding.

Is this something he'll grow out of? Or is there something else I can do?

Whenever we are eating, I have to put him in a different room with the door closed because he will constantly jump on the table trying to get food (especially if it's anything dairy, he will not leave you alone).

My other cat used to bite too but she's a year now and she grew out of the biting habit.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I suspect he's teething. He's abut the right age. You need to go through the whole house and kitten proof it. [article="22410"][/article][article="22401"][/article][article="29642"][/article]

If Bandit is really determined about chewing electrical cords, I strongly suggest you get cord protectors on everything. The last thing you want is an electrocuted cat - not to mention the problems that can result from him swallowing non edible items.

Additionally, make sure Bandit has plenty of toys that ARE safe for him to chew on. Here are some ideas to get you started http://www.kittycoaching.com/equipment/kitten-teething-toys/

Whilst it's true that Bandit will grow out of the teething phase, its still vital that you teach him that biting and chewing is not acceptable. 'Scolding' just doesn't work with cats - in the long run, you'll likely end up with a scared cat that STILL engages in inappropriate behaviours. Instead you have to make them WANT to make the right choice (by making the experience unsatisfying), and gently redirect them - if you calmly remove him from the table enough, he'll eventually get the message (provided that he's not allowed up there at other times). A firm 'NO' can work wonders too.
[article="32493"][/article][article="22407"][/article][article="22480"][/article][article="29678"][/article]

When it comes to hands and feet, be sure to NEVER use hands or feet as toys. Instead, use wand toys (such as Da Bird) to keep your hands a long way from the action. To help beat boredom, make sure you have plenty of vertical space for Bandit to explore - maybe even consider creating him a catio (if possible). Thing like treat balls can also help.

[article="22328"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="22426"][/article][article="22537"][/article][thread="297074"][/thread]

deidrahall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who wondered into my backyard hungry and scared.  Long story short we adoped him and took him in.  Well he has always kinda liked to chew on things.  I think it might just be a nervous habit.  Since your little guy is still a kitten he might just grow out of it.  I've had to kitty proof my house even with an adult cat haha.  Their all unique in their ways :)  Your little guy looks like he might be MaineCoon breed and they are pretty docile in breed.  Makesure you take extra time out to play with him that might help.  Help him with some of that excess energy.  He's adorable!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yukipazookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suspect he's teething. He's abut the right age. You need to go through the whole house and kitten proof it. [article="22410"][/article][article="22401"][/article][article="29642"][/article]

If Bandit is really determined about chewing electrical cords, I strongly suggest you get cord protectors on everything. The last thing you want is an electrocuted cat - not to mention the problems that can result from him swallowing non edible items.

Additionally, make sure Bandit has plenty of toys that ARE safe for him to chew on. Here are some ideas to get you started http://www.kittycoaching.com/equipment/kitten-teething-toys/

Whilst it's true that Bandit will grow out of the teething phase, its still vital that you teach him that biting and chewing is not acceptable. 'Scolding' just doesn't work with cats - in the long run, you'll likely end up with a scared cat that STILL engages in inappropriate behaviours. Instead you have to make them WANT to make the right choice (by making the experience unsatisfying), and gently redirect them - if you calmly remove him from the table enough, he'll eventually get the message (provided that he's not allowed up there at other times). A firm 'NO' can work wonders too.
[article="32493"][/article][article="22407"][/article][article="22480"][/article][article="29678"][/article]

When it comes to hands and feet, be sure to NEVER use hands or feet as toys. Instead, use wand toys (such as Da Bird) to keep your hands a long way from the action. To help beat boredom, make sure you have plenty of vertical space for Bandit to explore - maybe even consider creating him a catio (if possible). Thing like treat balls can also help.

[article="22328"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="22426"][/article][article="22537"][/article][thread="297074"][/thread]
Thank you so much for all the valuable information. I'll go ahead look through all the links you mentioned. I appreciate the time you put into helping us out. Thank you so much again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yukipazookie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a cat who wondered into my backyard hungry and scared.  Long story short we adoped him and took him in.  Well he has always kinda liked to chew on things.  I think it might just be a nervous habit.  Since your little guy is still a kitten he might just grow out of it.  I've had to kitty proof my house even with an adult cat haha.  Their all unique in their ways :)  Your little guy looks like he might be MaineCoon breed and they are pretty docile in breed.  Makesure you take extra time out to play with him that might help.  Help him with some of that excess energy.  He's adorable!
You are so kind to take in that cat. I'm sure he's a wonderful companion. :) thank you for your advice, I'll have try some of the things you mentioned. Besides all the biting, he really is a sweetheart. Compared to my other cat, he loves laying down on my chest or lap and just purrs his little heart away. He comes when called and he's constantly talking. If you make chirrup noises towards him, he'll respond back.

Here's him sleeping on my husband

Here's him just totally knocked out haha

I really do think he's a Maine coon mix but my vet says the only way we will know is when he gets older and if he's over 18 pounds and not over weight. we will seeeeee. :)

deidrahall

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's him sleeping on my husband

Here's him just totally knocked out haha

I really do think he's a Maine coon mix but my vet says the only way we will know is when he gets older and if he's over 18 pounds and not over weight. we will seeeeee.
Oh my gosh!!!!!!  These pictures are so adorable! 

The cat we took in ( Noney ) was so hungry and scared.  I think he was probabley used to being inside a house.  It was right in the middle of winter.  We had a few people in our neighborhood lose their homes a few years back so Noney was probably left behind
ugh breaks my heart that could happen.  So it was easy taking him in.  He was so loving right from the very start.

Oh that's right, Maine Coons can get big hehe.  Geez he's so cute!  He's going to grow up to be a beautiful cat!