Kitten bit open stitch and won’t stop jumping

Willowking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just rescued a cat from the humane society that’s 2 months old and they require them to be spayed.

The first three days were fine, but today she bit open her stitches when I stepped out to get her fresh water. I take her cone off at food times.

It has gotten worse as the night progresses. I took out all jumpable furniture, but she jumps on the walls and on her litter box. She also lays in her litter box, even though she has lots of beds. We have Yesterday’s news litter in there.

She will not go to sleep or stop jumping. And she’s clawing out of her carrier (because sometimes I can get her to sleep in her carrier for like 15 mins and then let her out and she sleeps)

I don’t know what to do. I’ve already scheduled her an appt at the vet tomorrow, but I don’t know how to keep it from getting worse. She’s tearing them worse now by jumping and running.

She’s in the smallest room we have available too.

Please Any tips would be helpful. I’m so frustrated and I love her so much. I’m really scared, this is my first kitten.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You are going to have to confine her. Did they give you any pain medication for her?

I don't know how big her carrier is, but you may have to just put her in there for the time being, if it is big enough to hold a litter pan and some water.
Don't use cat litter. Use shredded paper instead. The litter can get into the open inscision.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Willowking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, yes they did give her pain medication. I think it just itches a lot which makes her want to bite it. 98% of the time she has her cone on, it’s on unless she eats.

I think containing is the best idea. I’m scared she’ll hate me for doing it, but I’m too scared she’ll hurt herself again.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She won't hate you . She is a cat. They don't hate like that. Make sure you give her the pain medication if it is Buprenorphine or Buprenex. Gabapentin is good for helping her relax as well. Just make sure it is the cat kind, not the people kind. If the medication they gave you is medicam, I wouldn't use it.\

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She will be fine. Cats are good at self-limiting when they're in pain. I wouldn't worry about it, but keep an eye on the incision. If it starts weeping or becomes and angry red color, then get her back to the vet immediately. She shouldn't need confining or pain meds. Licking is normal because she's trying to get the vet smell off of her and make herself smell normal again.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Get a big enough cage and make it like a den for her as was suggested. I have done this lots of times with sick rescues and no one ever seemed to mind. Confining her to a small carrier used to transport her to the vet might not be as appreciated.

Human meds that can be used for animals have to be in a form that is intended for the animal. Human tramadol sold as Ultram can kill a cat because it has the added ingredient of acetaminophen.

Willowking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi sorry for the late reply, she did go see the vet. We got her medicine to help calm her and she’s been in a large cage (with food, water, litter box, blankets). She’s had her cone on all day, but she slipped it off when I went to sleep and tore them again. The medicine to help calm her only lasted an hour.
She has another vet appointment. At this point I’m not sure what to do. I’m looking into getting her one of those kitten recovery suits, PLUS cone. I don’t know..It’s 3 am and I’ve been crying. I feel like the worst cat mom ever.

Willowking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi sorry for the late reply, she did go see the vet. We got her medicine to help calm her and she’s been in a large cage (with food, water, litter box, blankets). She’s had her cone on all day, but she slipped it off when I went to sleep and tore them again. The medicine to help calm her only lasted an hour.
She has another vet appointment. At this point I’m not sure what to do. I’m looking into getting her one of those kitten recovery suits, PLUS cone. I don’t know..It’s 3 am and I’ve been crying. I feel like the worst cat mom ever.
Also by medicine I mean the vet gave her medicine.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I figured that you meant that the vet gave her the medicine. There are various kinds of cones. I don't know if a soft one would work better if you are using the hard plastic one from the vet. Members here have used kitten onesies successfully, so that is another option.

This is going to resolve itself as they will not stay itchy forever. You are not a bad cat mom. All kittens take matters into their own hands, some more than others, and it has nothing to do with you.

Willowking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, just a late final update! After three long weeks, she finally healed! I actually put a baby onesie on her and it worked like a dream- she couldn’t bite at it and she felt awk in it so she could run and play but not jump super high! She’s doing great now! Thank you for all the help you gave me, as an anxious first time cat mom ❤