Kitten Birth In Multi-Cat Household?

misfitrabbit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had neutered male cat Psycho Kitty (PK) for probably about 2 years now, and this past week I rescued a 7 week pregnant queen, Princess Tasha.  The previous owner was a good friend of mine, and we lived close together both cats were Indoor/outdoor so the cats were already aquainted, when Tasha moved in there was no problems at all, there still isn't, I gave Tasha a seperate set of dishes and litter pan so there wouldn't be any possessive problems but they eat out of each others dishes and even sleep laying together.
They appear to be great friends but I am worried about when the kittens are born. PK has never been around kittens before, and Tasha has never had kittens before. What should I do? Is there anything I should look out for? Anything I should Expect? 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As they are good friends, there shouldnt be problems.  Although you must 1. let the mom decide. If she seems stressed by the male, separate.

2. Supervise in the beginning.

But if you want to feel 100% safe, do separate them before the kittens are born, and dont let him in befoer they are several weeks... Not because he is necessarily a threat to the kittens (toms may be). But many adult cats are afraid of very small kittens, and if unlucky, he may make some sort of preventive attack...

The problem may be, if they are so good pals she wants him to be near and comfort her, when her time is coming... 

So you see, both variations are possibly, and only you being on the place and feeling of the atmosphere, can decide.

But if you want to play it safe, separate.

About the pregnancy and delivery of this unexperienced mom, best you do start a new tread in the Pregnant Forums.

Good luck!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My queens are separated a week before birth and remain in their own room with their kittens, the rest of the cats get to meet the kittens around 4-6 weeks for very short periods and always supervised

The girls need privacy and calm to raise their kittens, especially in the first weeks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misfitrabbit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But if you want to feel 100% safe, do separate them before the kittens are born, and dont let him in befoer they are several weeks... Not because he is necessarily a threat to the kittens (toms may be). But many adult cats are afraid of very small kittens, and if unlucky, he may make some sort of preventive attack...

The problem may be, if they are so good pals she wants him to be near and comfort her, when her time is coming... 

So you see, both variations are possibly, and only you being on the place and feeling of the atmosphere, can decide.

But if you want to play it safe, separate.
Thank you, I think I'll let them stay in the room together but not him near her area for the kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misfitrabbit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My queens are separated a week before birth and remain in their own room with their kittens, the rest of the cats get to meet the kittens around 4-6 weeks for very short periods and always supervised
The girls need privacy and calm to raise their kittens, especially in the first weeks
I only have one other cat, a neutered little guy who despite his name is really calm and sweet, I won't let him near her area or in the room for the first day or so. The problem is we don't have a due date. Her previous owner has no idea when she got pregnant and the vet says she could give birth tomorrow or in a week and a half.