Kitten behavior

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got my kitten from craigslist at the age of 7 weeks (so i was told, but i don't believe it. He only weighted 9 ounces at the time and his eyes were very gray-blue. He is almost 2 pounds now - 1.5. months later and his eyes are just now starting to change color).

The kitten was very sick when i got him (I did not know that) and for 2 straight weeks he was basically dying (the vet suggested i put him to sleep). But he pulled through and is now perfectly fine (except we are till battling ring worm).

Obviously it was hard to detect what his behavior was going to be like and what his personality was because he was sick for a while, but now that he is well, he turned out to be an EXTREMELY hyper kitten. I have had cats all my life and this one beats them all so far. He plays non-stop, all the time and everything and anything (moving or not) is a toy for him. He also seems to very much prefer a human rather than his toys. I have noticed he doesn't like to be left alone in a room even if filled with toys and things he should like. He will grab one of them and come into the room i am in and continue playing there and try his hardest to play WITH me. He LOVES playing at night too (and, of course, it has to be with me, not his toys), so i end up going to bed very late (because he also refuses not to sleep with me - he meows and cries at the door if i try to get him out and close the door). He just wants to play at night and he wakes me up every morning like a clock between 7 am and 7.30 am by ... playing with me.

I must mention that he plays rough. He bites and scratches and he doesn't have a sense of it being too much. Even my mother mentioned the other day that i looked tired - with this little guy i don't get much sleep.

I tried hissing at him, growling at him, tried to take him by the neck (like a cat would do) and lean him to the ground and hiss at him. I tried to yell "No!" (i do all the time), i tried walking away from the room, tried taking my hands (feet, clothes) away from him, tried to kick him out of the room and close the door, blow on his face, punch him lightly on the nose... and nothing worked too well so far. I know some of the techniques i mentioned are not advisable to use and i REALLY try to control myself and not punch his nose or yell at him. I sometimes still do when i just can't be patient any more. I am trying my hardest to control it tho. 

The only thing that seems to get him away from me is spraying water on him, but I don't feel like it is actually teaching him not to bite/scratch, but rather teaches him to be scared of water and he already is, so i did it twice and never did again. 

I love my little bugger. I got very attached to him especially when he was sick. I REALLY hope that i can do something, anything, to teach him (preferably as soon as possible while i still have skin on my hands) not to bite and scratch me and others. 

Can anyone advice anything

****hopeless cat owner here****

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ouch...sorry to hear of your problems but they are not all that surprising since he didn't have mommy to teach him how to be a good cat.  Ditch the water and use your hissing technique.  This is going to require a huge amount of patience on your part but it can be done.  You will need to be diligent and treat him the same EVERY time he is bad.  You can also pick him up by the scruff, face him and firmly say "no."  Don't yell.

For his hyper activity another kitten is best if you're up to it.  Otherwise, play hard with him before bed and make him run, run, run.  Reward him afterward with a treat.

How old is he now?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ohhhhh thank you for advice. So far i have been blowing in his face and saying "no". If he really was 7 weeks when i got him then at this point he must be about 12-13 weeks. But i think he was younger than that - he was way too small (9 ounces). So he is may be 8 weeks now

dandila

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good...the younger the better.  As I said...it could take awhile for him to get what you are teaching but he WILL get it if you are consistent.  Since he is so young his personality hasn't developed yet and it can be molded.  Kittens at that age are really hyper normally and use the energy to play with brothers and sisters to learn play fighting.  This is what his instincts are telling him.  Play!  Play!  Play!  The mother teaches them safety lessons and how to use their claws and teeth softly when it is only play.  They are like sponges at this age and do learn quickly.

Good luck to you.  Does he respond to treats?  Don't neglect to reward him when he behaves as you wish.

When he extends his claws into you try to grab and hold his paw.  He will draw it away.  Keep trying to hold the offending paw.  This is also useful for getting him used to you working with his paws so you can trim his nails weekly.  You just have to snip off the very tips.  Trimmed nails will help a lot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much!