Kitten behavior advice needed...

rckatz958

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am sure some of you may find this odd, but I could really use some advice if anyone has experience with this...

I recently picked up two 8-week old female sister kittens. It seems as if one has taken a liking to licking and sucking on the other ones genitalia. They lost their mom at birth, and therefore we're fed by their breeder. Could this be part of the issue? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? If so, how can I help prevent it or will it just eventually subside?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rckatz958

I am sure some of you may find this odd, but I could really use some advice if anyone has experience with this...

I recently picked up two 8-week old female sister kittens. It seems as if one has taken a liking to licking and sucking on the other ones genitalia. They lost their mom at birth, and therefore we're fed by their breeder. Could this be part of the issue? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? If so, how can I help prevent it or will it just eventually subside?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Aawww...they surely DO miss thier mommy. That's so sad. I dont know FOR SURE....but I would think that it has to do with missing that part of thier life. (the suckling on the mom)

But I once had a kitten that was very into suckling too. And we had this carpet in the bathroom...You know the kind with shaggy kind of rug?.
But he loved that thing. He was ALWAYS suckling on it. And he eventually grew out of it. I would suggest maybe a warm blanket at night, or warm rug so they can lay on it and think of the mom?

They have these rag things for kittens at local pet stores, and you can warm it up in the microwave and it stays warm, I've even seen a couple with some little things that the kitten can suckle on. You should check that out. I think it would help.

Also have you heard of "comfort zone" for cats? It's just a plug-in thing that releases the scent of "happy feelings" for cats. You cant smell it, but the cats can. It's pheremones that cats have that help them feel safe, and little less stressed out. I have one, and I love it.

Here I found a link to that warming thing I was talking about.
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....02c12605e8db60

Here's a bed that does the same thing!
http://www.pet-dog-cat-supply-store....02c12605e8db60

Maybe get a baby bottle nipple and let them have a couple of those in the bed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rckatz958

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the thorough advice and forwarding me those links. I will definitely look into it and let you know how it works.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rckatz958

Thanks so much for the thorough advice and forwarding me those links. I will definitely look into it and let you know how it works.
You are so very welcome. And Good luck with that. I sure would like to know how they're doing.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You need to separate them, and give them a proxy object to suck on. They can both do great damage to each other by suckling the genitials and you cannot allow that to happen. It is not a good outcome.

Generally kittens who have not had enough time with the momcat will have this issue. www.kitten-rescue.com addresses this issue for you

Good luck

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

You need to separate them, and give them a proxy object to suck on. They can both do great damage to each other by suckling the genitials and you cannot allow that to happen. It is not a good outcome.

Generally kittens who have not had enough time with the momcat will have this issue. www.kitten-rescue.com addresses this issue for you

Good luck
I completely agree...

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Like Hissy said, you must separate them. We had kittens within our rescue do this, and the fosterer did not realize how severe the problem was. Some of the kittens sustained injuries from having their genitals nursed on. Despite surgery to try to correct the problem, several of the kittens died.

Keep them totally separate until they are older and can be together without this behavior. Also call the breeder and ask if they were exibiting this behavior with her, and what steps she took to stop it.