Kitten Bedding?

SherryPacker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! We recently had a stray cat decide to claim us. She's very sweet however she was pregnant when she showed up on our property. I've fed and watered her, made sure she had a place to have her babies and everything. I would have brought her inside, but my husband and I live in a tiny house and had gotten a kitten 2 days before she showed up. So weeks have gone by and now I have 4 - 3 week old kittens. Long story short I've moved them inside bc she kept moving them and they developed eye infections. I bring her inside only to feed and clean them, because her and my cat do not get along. SO! 2 questions, 1_ can I use shredded newspaper as bedding on top of the blankets for easier cleaning? And 2_ my cat has pee'ed a couple times outside of the litter box.. Is this because she's unhappy with the new members? Thanks everyone! I'm no stranger to raising kittens but this is my first time on my own with it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You've been able to keep up with the eye infection/eye cleaning? that's such a challenge!
You could get some puppy pee pads and put the shredded newspaper on that, or some combination thereof...
Yes, she might be unhappy/confused about the new felines. Can you get an over-the-counter calming product? Sometimes feliway doesn't work at all, but there are a lot of other products with ingredients from tryptophan to chamomile to valerien, and some people have even used CBD oil. You could also possibly give her another litter box...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SherryPacker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Yes I've been able to keep up with the eye issues. I'm not working (or sleeping lol) so all my time and attention goes towards these little guys. At first I had the attitude of, let nature run it's course. As you can guess, that didn't last very long! I was constantly checking on them and the other day when she showed up on my porch with one of the kittens, wet from being moved in the rain, and eyes yucky, I had to take action! Then, I got all 3 and couldn't find the 4th or hear it anywhere so after hrs I thought we'd lost it and she moved it. A whole day later when I let her out to go potty, She shows up with it, alive! I also think this is the mamma cats first litter.

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Be sure to have her spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned. I'm sure you don't want to do this again! Cats can get pregnant again right away. . .she probably won't because we're heading into winter but do get it done ASAP.

How old is your cat? You said you had just gotten a kitten when the stray showed up so the kitten can't be very old, right? Older cats sometimes pee outside the box because of other cats being around but kittens aren't really territorial yet.

It would be great if you can figure out a way for her to be around her kittens all the time, because as they get older they'll need to be around her to learn proper cat manners. Kittens raised without a mother's instruction frequently have behavioral problems. Is there a door to your bedroom? A walk-in closet? Anything like that? If not, it may be best to see if you can find a foster home where they can all be together.

To answer the original question, no, shredded newspaper isn't the best, usually. It sticks to the kittens when it gets wet and turns everything a dingy gray. I'd recommend the $4 fleece baby blankets at Walmart (or cut up a larger fleece blanket), with disposable puppy pads underneath. Their claws won't stick in the fleece, plus moisture will wick down to the puppy pads and the top will still feel fairly dry. If you get several blankets you can use one while the rest are being washed, and have a steady supply of clean blankets.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

SherryPacker

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I definitely don't want to do this again. Tomorrow I'm calling around to all the places I can find minus any places that'll put her down in a number of days. I have called around before Shehad her kittens and no one was taking any new cats or kittens. I've kept in contact with a lady who runs the main group up here, and She has multiple fosters but nothing's open. I'm hell bent on finding something though. She deserves a good home and so do the kittens, They've had a rough go. My cat will be 6 months at the end of this month.. And is She is a spit fire. I have the kittens on a fleece blanket now so I'll probably sick with that.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to bring the mom inside and keep her in a bedroom or a bathroom with her kittens? She really needs to be with them all the time.

Is your kitten spayed yet? That might help with the introductions.