Kitten Averse To Using The Litter Box

LittleBlackKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted an 8 week old kitten (currently 10 weeks) recently and have been having a difficult time litter-box training him. Overall, he is wonderful! He is very sweet, social, playful, and adventurous. Unfortunately he seems to have an aversion to using his litter box.

We recognize his need to go by his crying and retreating to a solitary place (usually under the couch, bed). When we can, we move him to the litter box before he can go, but he consistently jumps out immediately upon being placed and does his business elsewhere. We also try to move him there after meals and naps.

We had been moving his accidents to the box so he would associate it with the bathroom, but have since stopped doing that to see if having a clean box would work better. We use an enzyme based cleaner to address his messes and have changed his litter to Dr. Elseys Kitten Attract. We've also blocked off some of the rooms/areas he seems to prefer to eliminate in.

He is the only pet and he has multiple boxes (covered/uncovered). I've begun digging in (a clean!) litter box while he watches to encourage curiosity and have placed him in the litter box while treat-feeding to expose him to being in the space (w/o treats jumps out immediately). He's been to the vet and has received a clean bill of health. He has never used the box and I am feeling discouraged.

I am wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or even a success story they'd like to share. Additionally, I am wondering at what age cats are normally fully litter box trained?

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
By 8 weeks he should have a grasp on the litterbox (an accident or two may happen when switching to a new home though). Was he with mom and littermates before you adopted him? Did the person you adopted him from say he was litter trained before you got him?

Do you know what litter he is used to? Could it be that he is used to walnut litter for example and you are now using clay?

Also could you try moving the litterbox close to or exactly where he is eliminating inappropriately?

I hope that you dont get too discouraged, by the sounds of it you are doing everything right. Hopefully he will get the hang of it soon! Please keep us posted with his progress

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LittleBlackKitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
By 8 weeks he should have a grasp on the litterbox (an accident or two may happen when switching to a new home though). Was he with mom and littermates before you adopted him? Did the person you adopted him from say he was litter trained before you got him?

Do you know what litter he is used to? Could it be that he is used to walnut litter for example and you are now using clay?

Also could you try moving the litterbox close to or exactly where he is eliminating inappropriately?

I hope that you dont get too discouraged, by the sounds of it you are doing everything right. Hopefully he will get the hang of it soon! Please keep us posted with his progress
I will ask the previous owner to double check. He was with mom and littermates before being adopted. I believe mom was an outdoor cat and may have eliminated outside while kittens stayed indoors. Not 100% sure though.

We had moved the box under the couch, but he just started going next to it (lol). The vet told us not to do this, so we've since moved it.

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ya under the couch definitely isn't a great spot for it, it would be too hard for him to get in and out, and he may get stuck.

Could you block off under the couches (we have had great luck with pool noodles) and place the litter beside? I have done this when training 4-5 week old kittens if there was a particular spot they seemed to go to most. Then I slowly move it to where I want it to be after they have gotten the hang of it.

Are his urine and feces normal? Or does he strain to go? Sometimes refusal to use the litterbox can be caused by a UTI or other issue eliminating (they associate the litterbox with pain).