Kitten as "only" cat

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm thinking I am finally ready to get a new kitten after my darling old girls passed away (1 & 2 years ago). I want a kitten but everything I read makes me afraid that a kitten left alone will develop behavioural problems (I'm looking at a rescue kitten of around 10-12 weeks). I really don't want 2 cats again as I do believe 2 cats are a lot more work than 1 - especially when kept indoors. I'm out of the house between 8am-6pm Monday to Friday and around most of the weekend. When I'm home in the evenings I will definitely spend time with the kitten and it can even sleep with me. I live alone in a largish house with no other pets.

I would love to hear from people who have adopted a kitten with no other companionship for it and I would love to know if he/she turned out beautifully well balanced or if it developed behavioural problems long term?

Thanks guys!

datagrrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I worry a lot from stuff I have read lately, making it sound like having a single cat is cruel.

I grew up with a singleton we got as a kitten and he was a great cat. He only lived five years because we didn't know about male cats and the crystals in their urine.

The more I think about it the more I realize I have known a number of singleton kittens who grew into good cats.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We adopted Hydrox as a single "child" and he remained so for a good ten years. He was fine. We often thought about getting another cat, but he seemed content.

However, life, as often happens, had another ideas and Banshee came into our lives, followed by Whisper a few months later. Turns out Whisper was pregnant and gave birth to 5 kittens in a laundry basket in our bedroom. Poor Hydrox! He was shell-shocked, I think. In the space of only a couple of months, he went from being an only kitty to being one of eight! The poor guy didn't know what hit him. But you know what? Those kittens grew and matured and both Rick and I think they kept Hydrox young. They were constantly harassing the poor guy and then Whisper decided that Hydrox was the only one for her. She loved that boy. We have a picture of Hydrox sitting on top of the tv while the kittens were carrying on on the living room floor and he had this look on his face, like "What happened here? When did I lose control of this house?" But he was fine with the kittens. He pretty much left them alone. And when they would climb all over him, he took it all in good stride. We also have pictures of Hydrox and Whisper sleeping together. They all got along and we have pictures of huge kitty clumps, where they were all curled up together in one huge mass, sleeping away, even Hydrox. And when Hydrox passed away, at 20 years old, Whisper was right by his side.

I don't know that I would ever again have a single cat. Because we both work, two keep each other company during the day, whereas I think a single cat could get lonely, not having somebody with it all day long.

But, again, it's just my opinion.  I do know other people who have an only child and their kitties are fine with it. 

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat (on my own) was quite happy as an only cat.  Then I got Grey who she tolerated, and in her last years came to like a little.  Grey always preferred the company of others and was lonely when the first cat died.  Of the 3 that I have now, Julie might not mind being an only cat.  The boys definitely enjoy other cat's company.

Because of school and now I'll be working 12+ hour shifts, I'm glad I got more than one.  It really used to worry me that Grey was alone in her older years.  I don't think it's cruel to have only one cat, though.  For my situation, I just chose to have more then one.

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would highly recommend adopting an older cat who, for whatever reason, requires an only-cat household. I agree with many rescue org's requirements that kittens be adopted in twos or to households with existing cat-friendly cats. Here's one source but it sounds like you've read a lot of these lists already: http://hydeparkcats.org/two-kittens-the-benefits-of-adopting-in-pairs/

It sounds like you're only ready for one kitty. Adults cats are far less likely to be adopted than kittens. If you're worried about bonding with an adult cat, I'd suggest visiting shelters and interacting with them. I've adopted three of my cats as adults and our bond is strong and continues to grow. Some shelters might even have older kittens who have already shown a preference for an only-cat household..

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We now have our second "singleton" in a row. His adoption contract stipulated that he be kept as an only cat, since he really doesn't get along with other felines. Most shelters will have a few cats that prefer not to be with other felines. It's doubtful that they'll be very young kittens, but there might be a few that are under a year (Mogli was 9 months). The advantage to that is that their personalities will be fairly well-developed and they won't be as hyper as a young kitten.

The one thing to keep in mind is that you are going to have to be the playmate and keep your kitten entertained, so it will be very time-consuming.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

overwhelmed2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all for your feed back so far. Maybe I'm asking for too much? but I don't particularly want a cat though thst doesn't get along with other cats as maybe down the line I would want to get a second cat as my circumstances change/ life happens - I have even thought about maybe fostering in a few years time when I'm semi-retired and so would like a cat that would be happy to accept other cats (but want to make sure it will be happy on its own in the meantime). I want it all!;)