Kitten and cat swapping food

MariusPet488

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have been feeding Artha felix as good as it looks kitten food. Lilith has felix doubly delicious. They take a few mouthfuls of their own food before crossing the kitchen to swap. I try to give similar flavours at mealtimes so it’s not too different.

Is this harmful for the kitten? Is he missing out on valuable nutrition by eating adult cat food?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Sajast

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kittens do need kitten food due to their calorie and protein needs. If supervising feed time isn’t possible, there are some foods that are considered ok to feed the kitten provided they (and therefore your adult cat) are free fed. But best to check with your vet on brand recommendations. I spent almost a year supervising meal time if it makes you feel any better.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You're going to have to supervise mealtimes and keep them focused on their own food. Kittens need the calories and nutrients in kitten food. Adult cats do not need all the calories in kitten food.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats has never eaten kitten food. There is no special raw food for kitten. He grew up just fine. An occasional meal of the "wrong" food won't cause any harm. You may want to feed the adult cat a food that is labeled as "for all life stages" so it's ok for the kitten to eat as well. Definitely supervise the cats at meal time. Feed one in a separate room if possible. Or use a microchip feeder for the kitten.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
We have been feeding Artha felix as good as it looks kitten food. Lilith has felixrk doubly delicious. They take a few mouthfuls of their own food before crossing the kitchen to swap. I try to give similar flavours at mealtimes so it’s not too different.

Is this harmful for the kitten? Is he missing out on valuable nutrition by eating adult cat food?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
I feed my adult cats kitten food and adult food when they were kittens. There really is no difference in protein,fat,carbs. Kittens need more,that's all. My adult cats eat simply nourish morsals for kittens. Using catfooddb.com for nutrition and ingredients. As kittens and cats wellness core,Dr elseys,nutro perfect portions,sheba turkey roasted or roasted chicken, I do pay attention to the value. Hound and gatos is high in fat so I alternate it with tiki after dark,high protein low fat

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
You're going to have to supervise mealtimes and keep them focused on their own food. Kittens need the calories and nutrients in kitten food. Adult cats do not need all the calories in kitten food.
I have also read that adult cats do not need as much. Maggie is a big eater,like a kitten long and tall, 9 pds. High metabolism I guess. Good weight for her size. So,mostly true but not all. 8 yrs old

blumarine916

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it makes any difference nor will it affect their growth. As long as you’re feeding them cat food they’ll be okay. I didn’t know kitten food existed when I first brought Meffy home 10 years ago. I just grabbed the normal small pack of Whiskas. Where I’m from most people just fed rice and fish to cats but it has improved ever since awareness increased.