Kitten and Cat fighting constantly

ilovekittehs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I could work this problem out myself, but nothing I do is helping.

My 1-year-old cat will not stop attacking my 3-month-old kitten (and the other way around). He will frequently get very rough with him and I have to say "No!" to get him to stop. Obviously the kitten just makes the situation worse because he just wants to play. My cat is one of those sort of anxious-aggressive types when he's provoked, so he acts feral during play. He knows he is dominant and seems to treat the kitten as a toy. They are both so high strung when around each other. I think his aggression is rubbing off on the kitten because the kitten is quick to attack my ankles nowadays. I've been redirecting his attention to his toys and a loud NO before that. He's starting to listen and stops when I do this but it's definitely been more frequent. They have only been in the same room together for an hour at most. Are sessions bad? Should I just leave them for a while under supervision? Should I let the kitten take the pain and learn or keep saying no to the cat to get him to stop?

I did the whole scent-swapping before they met, such as leaving objects around in each area with the other cat's scent, and switching them into the other's area for a while to smell around. They smell each other under the door, but they can also fit their paws under and swat.

I want to hear what you guys have to say before I list the things I have tried. I'm out of ideas so I'd like to hear if there's anything I'm not doing or doing incorrectly. I was thinking of buying Feliway but does it even help?

Thanks for reading

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
yes, me too suspect this is basically a rough play. These wrestling matches CAN look tough. If you hadnt seen them before you can think they are for real! They can give sounds and shrieks.
Even some fur may fly around!
As long as there is no blood (or verry occasionally), and not too much fur, you know it is just rough play.

The older uses it simultaneusly to show his dominance, so now and then he will press the little down. Or bite at his neck and keep him down..

To your question: yes, usually it is suitable to let them make it out. Under some supervision of course. And of course after the introduction, when you are sure they wont attack for real the first they do.

Unless you clearly see the little one is defintitely seeking protection and shelter. In this case you must step in and defend.

Good luck!

Good luck!