Kitten Agression

Ahaydon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a kitten at 7 weeks old. Now at 8 weeks, he has become a very lively kitten ready to play and get into everything. He’s starting to get where he will jump at your face and scratch it if he feels like he’s not having your undivided attention—this also means when you are sleeping. I give him plenty of attention especially during play sessions. I give him enough calm down time to start getting him settled for when I go to sleep. But, I’m awakened to him jumping and clawing at my face. Again, he does this sometimes during the day. How do I discourage this behavior and teach him not to do that?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The traditional answer is a loud "No" (loud enough to be a bit startling) coupled with disengaging and ignoring the cat for a bit so as to not reward the behavior. Also, don't play with the kitten with your hands, use toys for that.

As far as allowing the kitten to wake you up, if you pay any sort of attention to the kitten that will never stop. Pretend to sleep if you have too.

Kitten that young, possible your better off with him in a "safe room"/home base at night than allowing access to your bed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is at the age where mama and siblings should be teaching him limits and manners. Since he was taken away too young it is up to you. The above is excellent advise, you have to let him know what he is doing is not acceptable. Yelling NO very loudly and leaving is good, sound advise. If this doesn't work I have found that mimicking mama works well too. In the middle of aggression, take him by the loose skin on the back of the neck, hold him still for a few seconds and say NO very loudly or hiss loudly like a mama (if no one else is present :) ) Do this every time. if you let him get away with it one time you will have to start over. Putting him in a bathroom for 5 minutes works well too, they hate to be alone and locked up and will associate this with their playing rough. No more than 5 minutes though or they don't associate it and it just becomes over punishment. I hope this helps, good luck!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Congrats on your new kitten! :bouquet: Is that sweet little spotted tummy kitten in your profile pic him? :catlove:

These days, the recommendation is to keep kittens with their mom and siblings till 12 weeks so they have time to learn cat manners. Of course, that isn't always possible. However, when kittens are adopted while still very young, it becomes the human "parents" job to teach them kitty etiquette.

Here are a couple articles that might have some tips for you.

Teach Your Kitten How to Play Nice : The Humane Society of the United States
How To Stop Playtime Aggression In Cats

Plus a couple on new kittens:
9 Tips That Will Help Your Kitten Adapt To A New Apartment
Kitten Proofing Your Home: 13 Practical Tips

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ahaydon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all for the great advise! And yes, my avatar is my little kitty Dewey. I actually just found his birth date deep in his paperwork from the shelter I got him from, and he’s actually YOUNGER than what they told me. They advertised him as 7 weeks old, but he was actually a little over 5 weeks old. This makes perfect sense for his behaviors and holes in the milestones he should be at. So actually he’s just now hitting 7 weeks. Thank you for all the parenting advise I need to give him a fair chance at behaving and living an optimum kitty life :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi welcome :welcomesign:

I would fake sleep then blow on their faces when they try to bug me during sleep. If it was 4 am I would crate the little monster who woke me, set my alarm for 6 or 7 am and go back to sleep (or pretending to sleep.) Then release and ignore. Normally I say kick the cat out if they wake you up and do not let them in until your usual wake up time no matter what. But 8 weeks is very young. I give kittens way more leeway until 4-5 months old.

However every attack to you (not a toy) should be met with a no/hiss then ignoring them for 15-30 minutes. If needed scruff then release then ignore. Kittens are adorable ninja terrorist that need training. Yes it is a pain but 3-4 months of training or 15-20 years of bad behavior?

Take tons of pictures. I swear you will laugh at their antics later. At 8 weeks they are perfect curtain climbers, under stove splunkers, fearless warriors trying to spar with you, chewing machines around 3 months or so and did I mention the fearless climbing?!?!?!? Nothing gets your heart pumping like seeing your little 7 week old baby hanging by 1 paw off the edge of a 5 foot tall shelf. Kittens do things like that.

:hangin:

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I would put the crate on my bed, slip my fingers through the bars and nod off. Because I'm a huge softy I would probably let them out in under an hour. However I might be counting down 4 weeks until it was time to put the hyper kitten in the cat room every night they woke me up ;)