Kitten aging and poo color help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give an update on Miss Pumba (she finally has a name yay!). She is still gaining like a champ and weighs 16.4 oz as of yesterday.

Unfortunately there is still green poop so I'm waiting to hear back from vet on the next step. The poo has been fluxuating in consistency from toothpaste to not quite diarrhea.

Transitioning her isn't going so hot. She has a mouth full of teeth that our household of fingers and toes can attest to. She is constantly biting my toes when it gets close to feeding time so I know she has the general concept of biting down pat. I offer her the slurry of wet food and milk on my finger and she takes it but as soon as I offer plate of have her try to follow my finger she walks off. Even when she's hungry right away in a.m. I watched a tutorial yesterday on offering the slurry in a bottle so I'm going to try that for one feed today and see how that goes.

She's super rambunctious and loves to hide under our couch and wait patiently for unsuspecting toes. So I'm not having too many concerns outside of the green poop. I did some reading on the coccidia and garnia and it kind of sounds like that may be what's going on.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Slurry in the bottle is an excellent idea. Let us know what the vet says about the green poop when you hear. I hope the feedings go well as kitten needs to keep gaining. She WILL eventually eat from a plate. She's just not quite ready yet. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found that a good transitional food for those little ones is cheddar cheese, the hardest kind (sharp, extra sharp) because the hard cheeses do not have any lactose in them.  The little orphan I just raised was delighted with cheese.  It had some texture to chew, tasted OK being related to milk, and he just gobbled it down.  As  he got attuned to it, I put it on top of some wet food in a dish and he got used to that also.  By the end of the week, he was eating his wet food like a champ and the cheese bits became dessert.

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She took the slurry from a bottle like a champ so hoping by next week she will eat off a plate. Ill have to try the cheese trick and see how that goes, sounds like it could be really helpful and save my fingers some too.

Vet called back and we will be trying a different antibiotic, it starts with an f in have no clue how spell let alone pronounce, that she will start tomorrow.

Today I introduced the litter box kind of hoping it will trigger her to go on her own versus being stimulated.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm guessing the vet is putting her on Flagyl.

I'm glad to hear she likes the slurry!

The weaning and litter box usage are just around the corner. Hang in there! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its been a few days and wanted to update. Pumba started the antibiotic Albon on Thursday morning and by Friday her poo color was changing to more if a brown, and today it's mostly brown! Since I got the litter box set up she has had one accident.

The only drawback we've had is transitioning her. The first day she took the slurry awesome and it didn't seem to upset her tummy so Friday I did 2 feeds of just milk (morning and night) and the 3 in between feeds as slurry. She hated it, even when I offered just milk after the slurry she wanted nothing to do with it. So today we are back to just milk. I'm gonna try again with slurry tomorrow but on a plate instead. Is there any other trips or tricks to help transition her?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think time is the answer. At 4 weeks old the kitten may not be quite ready to wean yet. Sometimes it's easier and less stressful to wait a week and try again, because when they are ready they will go for it easily.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Its been a few days and wanted to update. Pumba started the antibiotic Albon on Thursday morning and by Friday her poo color was changing to more if a brown, and today it's mostly brown! Since I got the litter box set up she has had one accident.

The only drawback we've had is transitioning her. The first day she took the slurry awesome and it didn't seem to upset her tummy so Friday I did 2 feeds of just milk (morning and night) and the 3 in between feeds as slurry. She hated it, even when I offered just milk after the slurry she wanted nothing to do with it. So today we are back to just milk. I'm gonna try again with slurry tomorrow but on a plate instead. Is there any other trips or tricks to help transition her?
Four weeks is still a little young, especially if her intestines are already upset.  Stick to the formula until you see how the medication works.  Also, Albon (sulfadimethoxine) is light sensitive so you should keep it in a dark place like a cabinet or it may discolor.  Albon treats a number of bacterial infections in the intestine, and it can stop coccidia from growing but it doesn't kill the coccidia.  If the Albon clears up the diarrhea, as it often does, that's great.  However, if the diarrhea comes back when she goes off the Albon, then she may have coccidia and/or giardia and will need to be treated with panazuril, which actually kills giardia and coccidia.  (BTW giardia is often associated with green poop.)  Here is an article about the ponazuril.  Not all vets know about it even though it's been around for awhile.  http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-health-coccidia-treatment

newbie2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give an update, since she was on the antibiotic she has had no issues! Her poo is brown and she's gaining weight like a champ still! This last week I transitioned her slurry from the bottle to a bowl and she's has taken to it wonderfully. Starting tomorrow I will start making it thicker so we can work towards dry food.

Is there any tricks to get her to stop biting? She has toys galore that we play with her with, but she would prefer to go after hands and feet. I've tried redirecting her to toys and that doesn't seem to help.