Kitten aggression during play

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

Me and my girlfriend have two cute siblings, one black and one orange, about 3 1/2 months old now. We bought a toy for our lure and the kittens are absolutely in love with it. its the fastest ive ever seen them chase after a toy. unfortunately, the black one seems to be protective of it, trying to make off with it in his mouth and refusing to let go the few times weve tried to play with it. hes even gone so far as to growl at me when i refuse to let it go, and when i tried to toss it for them he was guarding it and began to hiss at his brother.

They are kittens so a rough play is not rare for them, though i worry that the black one who is aggressive with the toy is starting to develop bad habits. its usually pretty one sided, with the black one being dominant in their frights and leading the orange one to cry out sometimes, but the orange one always seems to come back for more like it's still fun for him. I have done some research on aggressive play, but all of the articles ive read are written from the point of view of having two unfamiliar cats playing or having extremely obvious aggression as in a full blown fight. I'm having trouble distinguishing between whether or not its too aggressive to let them carry on. While the orange one is usually the one on defense, he never really tries to run away or hide. I've only caught him with his ears back once, and i did intervene that time.

Another thing I am curious about is biting during their playfights. From what i've read its generally regarded that biting is up there with hackle-raising and hissing in terms of warning signs of aggression, but im not really convinced of it being that extreme. they get along just fine when not playing, and while i have never witnessed them licking to show play during their tussles they do take brief breaks.

there is some reciprocity, though it is pretty low. the black one is usually the one on offense, as i said, but now as im writing this it started that way but the orange one took the lead. this is not terribly of out of the ordinary, but id say its probably 65/35 with the black one against. again, the orange one usually doesnt run away and they tend to chase each other around back and forth through our apartment.

they get along just fine otherwise, sleeping together and generally being a bonded pair of brothers. outside of play there is no territorial behavior over food, water, litterbox, or sleeping spots. they never have really hissed at each other before the introduction of this new toy.

I guess I have a number of questions, if anyone would like to address any one or group of them:
-is this normal kitten behavior?
-should i stop letting them use that toy?
-should i separate them when they do get into a playfight? ive read that its important for them to develop their skills as hunters...
-if so, what are some steps i can take to alleviate or prevent the situation while still letting them play with each other?

any feedback is helpful! keep well!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes.
No.
No.

I think you shall give them more toys... Its not necessarily bought toys, many are happily playing with a piece of paper...
Anyway, so both shall have several to choose amongst.
And you can rotate the toys. After a few days hide a toy which isnt very popular, and take it forward again after several weeks...

I presume they are inside only? Good, but if so, you must think extra on toys and or something to look at.
Perhaps a bird feeder outside the windows...

Lime_Cat

Cat Enthusiast In His Twenties + CAT DAD
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there!

It's great to hear that your kittens are enjoying their new toy so much! Kittens, especially siblings, often engage in rough play as part of their natural behavior. However, it's important to monitor their interactions to ensure that it remains playful and doesn't escalate into actual aggression.

To address your questions:

1. Is this normal kitten behavior?
Yes, it is quite normal for kittens to engage in rough play with each other. They are learning important social and hunting skills through these interactions. As long as it doesn't result in serious harm or distress, it is generally considered normal behavior.

2. Should you stop letting them use that toy?
If the toy seems to be a source of tension and possessiveness between them, it might be a good idea to temporarily remove it and introduce alternative toys that they can enjoy together. This will help avoid potential conflicts and ensure that both kittens have equal opportunities for play.

3. Should you separate them during play fights?
While it's important for kittens to develop their hunting skills and engage in play, it's equally important to monitor their play sessions and step in if it becomes too rough or aggressive. If you notice one kitten consistently being overly dominant or if the play escalates into aggression, it's best to separate them temporarily to prevent any potential harm. Allow them to cool down and then reintroduce supervised play sessions.

4. What steps can you take to alleviate or prevent the situation while still allowing them to play with each other?
- Introduce a variety of interactive toys to keep them engaged and distract them from fixating on one toy.
- Engage them in interactive play sessions with wand toys or feather teasers, providing an outlet for their energy and hunting instincts.
- Create a stimulating environment with scratching posts, climbing trees, and hiding spots to encourage exploration and play.

Remember, each kitten has their own personality and play style. It's important to observe their behavior closely and step in when necessary to ensure their safety and well-being. If you have any concerns, consulting with a veterinarian or a professional animal behaviorist can provide further guidance tailored to your kittens' specific needs.

Best of luck with your playful pair, and enjoy watching them grow and develop their unique personalities!

Take care!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had great luck with a long catnip-infused toy called a kickeroo (Amazon, Walmart, etc. online) Cats absolutely love them and bunny kick a lot of aggression out of themselves. get two and throw one toward the aggressive kitten who is stalking/fighting. They are a great distraction. As said above kittens are learning all the time, and need a sibling to learn how far they can go. I have been around a LOT of kittens growing up and they always sound like they are killing each other. As long as the one getting the worst keeps coming around after a brief avoidance, everything is normal. I would break it up if it seems to be getting out of hand, but the best way is by distraction. Even throwing a treat would help. Even getting another toy like the first would help, then they wouldn't have to share. Growling at someone trying to take their 'prey' is completely normal, as is all teh other activity you are describing. kittens are a whirlwind of energy and take a lot of time to socialize and teach manners. It WILL happen, in a year or two those little whirlwinds will sleep most of the day......

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have described normal kitten play and there is absolutely no concerns requiring monitoring.

Biting is a totally normal part of play. There is usually less of it in an equal play session because they are moving round too much to get a good bite in. Sometimes, if one cat is totally done with play and just lays there, the other decides to keep going and gets a lengthy play bite on while the other sits and takes it, maybe yowling. Thats less great, but even that is not any great cause of concern.

Play is often unequal among cats because one is larger, or just more stupid enthusiastic about play. My current cats have always had unequal play, because one is larger. Unequal play is normal, and not a problem unless the less enthusiastic cat seems to hold a grudge. If the less enthusiastic cat does play some and even initiates some, its no problem at all.

I've not had hissing over possession of a toy so I'll defer to others on how common that is. But just in general, some cats hiss over nothing. Some cats hiss AT toys in play. I had one cat that would hiss when he saw it was raining. I wouldn't love a cat hissing possessively over a toy, and would have some small concerns about it, but I'm not sure its a real issue.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called it kitty soccer when the two kitten boys played this with their rabbit poof balls (& I suggest you buy some.) The boys loved playing that & wrestlemania. I suggest distracting with s second lure to get your toy hog to release their prey & 1on1 play for each kitten. Let your biggest toy hog go last. It looks tougher than it is.

True cat fights have yowling, blood, tuffs of fur & pee or poop

Here is a picture of the all time winner of kitty soccer and pictures of their play fights. As you can see even as adults they love to wrestle and they are still bff.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

zcatlin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey there!

It's great to hear that your kittens are enjoying their new toy so much! Kittens, especially siblings, often engage in rough play as part of their natural behavior. However, it's important to monitor their interactions to ensure that it remains playful and doesn't escalate into actual aggression.

To address your questions:

1. Is this normal kitten behavior?
Yes, it is quite normal for kittens to engage in rough play with each other. They are learning important social and hunting skills through these interactions. As long as it doesn't result in serious harm or distress, it is generally considered normal behavior.

2. Should you stop letting them use that toy?
If the toy seems to be a source of tension and possessiveness between them, it might be a good idea to temporarily remove it and introduce alternative toys that they can enjoy together. This will help avoid potential conflicts and ensure that both kittens have equal opportunities for play.

3. Should you separate them during play fights?
While it's important for kittens to develop their hunting skills and engage in play, it's equally important to monitor their play sessions and step in if it becomes too rough or aggressive. If you notice one kitten consistently being overly dominant or if the play escalates into aggression, it's best to separate them temporarily to prevent any potential harm. Allow them to cool down and then reintroduce supervised play sessions.

4. What steps can you take to alleviate or prevent the situation while still allowing them to play with each other?
- Introduce a variety of interactive toys to keep them engaged and distract them from fixating on one toy.
- Engage them in interactive play sessions with wand toys or feather teasers, providing an outlet for their energy and hunting instincts.
- Create a stimulating environment with scratching posts, climbing trees, and hiding spots to encourage exploration and play.

Remember, each kitten has their own personality and play style. It's important to observe their behavior closely and step in when necessary to ensure their safety and well-being. If you have any concerns, consulting with a veterinarian or a professional animal behaviorist can provide further guidance tailored to your kittens' specific needs.

Best of luck with your playful pair, and enjoy watching them grow and develop their unique personalities!

Take care!
thanks for the reply!

its reassuring to hear that this kind of behaivior is common for their age, i was worried they might start to dislike each other. we got rid of the problem toy. we're looking to get some more engaging toys and have purchased a few towers and scratching posts for them!