Kitten Aggression - 13 Weeks

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good heavens, when I started reading this thread I thought I was having troubles, but clearly, while my kitten is aggressive, she is not in the same league as some of these feline ferocities!

My little buzzsaw is called Mooni, and she was turned into the local shelter at around four weeks of age. Nothing was known about her, someone just brought her in claiming she was a stray. She immediately developed an upper respiratory infection upon coming home so I spent the first couple of weeks getting that cleared up. As she got better she got more aggressive. Biting, scratching, ambushing and not cuddly at all. I had just lost my beloved Tippi to coyote predation and was desperate to have another special kitten. 

What I have discovered in reading everything I could find on the matter is that overly aggressive kittens have not only not been properly feline-socialized, they tend to be more energetic, and are usually more intelligent than most cats. This has led me to provide all the stimulation of new toys, new situations and new adventures I can think of. Living on five acres of gardens, trees and eventual rodent hunting gives all of our (now) seven cats all the stimulation they need to be satisfied and seems to be helping with my  ginger 'tasmanian-devil'.

While my nose is still pretty chewed up at the moment, since she likes to awaken me by first licking my face with that tiny raspy tongue and then giving me a good chomp before I can react, her claws are retracted for all ambushes and finger fights. The teeth still seem to find their way to skin on occasion, but she is developing the understanding that it is improper and will get a quick drop to the ground or push off the bed, or a sharp 'OW!'. Also getting up and leaving or putting her in the bedroom and closing the door for a bit seems to bring conciliatory behavior in her.

At eleven weeks she is finally developing the understanding of gentleness and modest mouthing behavior, but also she is getting all sorts of interactions and exercise...which I would think would be difficult to provide in an indoor-only situation. With a bit of creativity and purpose a person could be helpful in taming these misbehaving meowers living indoors.

To be sure, outdoors has its own dangers, as I am painfully aware. The cats are protected from predation if they stay within the five fenced acres, and at least mine do not have to worry about being hit by cars. Little ones stay indoors at night to avoid the owls. This kitten has no fear and has not met anyone she is afraid of. However this moxy gets Mooni in trouble. She decided that the lower, rough-barked, safer fruit trees were not sufficient for her climbing abilities and scurried up the smooth-barked Pistache tree. Ten feet up and with a miss of too-small claws, down' she came ten feet hard on a rock. Other than the wind knocked out and her pride bruised somewhat she began nibbling on skin within a minute, a sure sign of repair.

I think the aggression situation boils down to this; learn your cat's visual communications. Tails, ears, body posture and eyes all tell you when an attack is imminent. Nip it in the bud. Pet sparingly. Once the tail twitches, stop petting. Once the eyes darken, redirect. You'll have moments when they are drowsy and receptive to petting. In time the window of opportunity may widen. Never allow bad behavior to go unnoticed or unpunished.

Play, play, play!  New toys, simple toys, complex toys, climbing toys. Mooni is just as happy with an empty soda bottle or crackly candy wrapper wadded up as she is with her feather and wierd squeaking mouse toys. She adores the dog's plush stuffed animals. Here she is thrashing one of them.

She didn't take to it like my other cats, but cardboard boxes cut with doors, windows and hanging things can keep a kitten busy for hours. I call them my Kardboard Kitty Kondos. I have some videos of them if anyone wants to see them.

Be patient but be firm. We may never end up with the cuddlebug we hoped for, but their intelligence and energy can be endlessly fun to watch and engage.

Here are images of Miss Mooni, Tippi, Lilo (also departed via coyotes) and other cats of mine (most of them are dumpees) :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24426209@N06/albums/72157654503911612

iluvlucy15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Turns out Gage's extra aggression was a bad trip on his Buprenorphine! lol

Now I only give him the pain medication at night once we've put him in the bathroom. If given when there is no stimulation he passes right out for the night! lol

However, he is still bitey. I think he's frustrated cause he can't do anything at all with the e-collar on. But, I know he will try to lick his incision if I take it off. So, he's stuck in boredom land =[

He's definitely not as bad as he was on the pain medication though. He's just his usual "run-around-happy and I'll bite ya if you try to pick me up" self, haha.

Although at least the e-collar is a shield! He can't actually bite us when he has it on! lol xD
Hey! Wondering on an update! Lucy has taken on a whole new thing with biting. It's possible she may be worst and I have no idea why. I can barely do anything now without her attacking me. Don't get it. I've been angry with her lately and it bothers me that I am but, it just gets so frustrating.... Sigh. Anyhoo, hope Gage is doing well.

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things going?  Does he still have the E-collar?   I didn't even take one home for Sawyer.  His healed up nicely and he never bothered with it more than once or twice, and would stop if I got after him.  

Sawyer has been doing well for the most part...yesterday he was BAD though, I was off all day and we did play, but he decided to attack me hard, and bit my cheek!  Not hard enough to leave a mark..but still!  I couldn't even redirect him with a toy. I tried scruffing and hissing at him, which I never need to do...and I hate doing, I feel bad.  It seemed to just make him come back harder.  Getting mad at him does not seem to work at all.  I ended up putting him in our bedroom with the door closed for a few minutes, when I let him out he was calmed down.  This morning I was trying to sleep and he attacked me, usually if I hide my arms under the blankets he stops, but this time he attacked my head!  Hopefully it is just pent up energy.  Right now he is sleeping peacefully in his tree.  I brought home a case of kitten canned food, and he has got great entertainment out of the cardboard base tray thing.  He sleeps in it.  

I do find that at night if I use the laser pointer, he gets tired out pretty quickly and will sleep well at night (and not attack me!).  I just feel bad using it because he can't "catch" it.  So we only use it occasionally.  

I definitely think if I had a second kitten it would help a lot.  I just can't get a second one.  I also think if he stayed with his litter mates longer it would of helped him learn proper playing.  He latches onto my arm and wrestles with it, reminds me of how he would play with another kitten.   

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here is Sawyer attacking...

Here is Sawyer being sweet and loving!  (only when he is very sleepy or when I get home from work, in this video I had just got home)

iluvlucy15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, tonight is proving to be interesting. It seems as though this is a whole different cat. She's doing things I've never seen her do. First of all she got out the door when bringing groceries. But didn't get far. Then I came in the house, and had to go back out and shoo'ed her away but she got out and went further! To the front of the house and I live on a very busy street! I got her, took her in and gave her a time out. Mostly, cause I needed one too and to catch my breath. This kitten is indoor only but was feral when found. She will remain indoor too. But since this happened earlier, I've been trying to keep her entertained with toys to wear her down a bit. She seems a bit on edge. She's meowing a bit more, chirping, and when we're playing with the fishing rod toy, she pants three times heavy before pouncing. What is up with all this? This night is weirddddd....

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens can go through a range of behaviors as they grow. Some may stick, some they might grow out of.

Will Lucy ever let you pet her without nibbling? If so, take extra time and gentleness to give her a good facial pet, lightly stroking her eyes, behind the ears and under the chin. As soon as she bites, stop for a better time. I've worked up from only being able to pet Mooni when she is drowsy from a nap to much more frequent petting times to where I can get a good purr out of her and no bites for at least a few minutes.

As she begins to enjoy the stroking sessions more, she may calm down a bit as time goes on. If she lets you continue for a good time, maybe reward her with a treat. I give Mooni a little treat when she scratches on her cardboard scratching board and not on my speaker covers.

I know it is frustrating, but just keep at it, learn her body language and hopefully she will learn that being 'nice' gets good rewards.

Heck, my nose hasn't bled in more than a week! We're making progress!

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear about the naughty kitties. :( they are definitely way more complicated than doggies! You guys have so much patience. I definitely wouldnt have lasted.

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What's everyone's take on time outs? If you approve, till what age?
Mooni gets put in the bedroom for her time-outs, although most of her time-outs are for trying to crawl into the dog's food bowl while the dog is eating!  I try to leave her in for only about five to ten minutes...just enough to break the mean or disobedient streak. I think any longer and the cat just gets bored and takes a nap and forgets what behavior she is getting punished for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys! Sorry I haven't responded in awhile! I've been super busy!

Gage has good days and bad days. The cone has been off for over a week now. He still bites, but not as often. I put bitter apple spray on my hands one day - he did NOT like that, lol. Hahaha!

Here is him with his "crazy eyes". This is when he suddenly got irritated while being held! He's actually gripping my phone in this picture! Hahaha

But, we are letting him run around the house more - which he seems to appreciate! I am getting up 15 minutes early in the morning to have him chase the laser pointer around the house to get his early-morning energy out before I leave for work! I follow it up with a few treats.

When Zach is home alone with him on Saturdays he plays with him a couple times and actually lets him romp around the apartment while he is at his desk. He said his behavior has been pretty good! Less biting and more just jumping on surfaces he shouldn't be! I like that they have most of Saturday alone together because I think it builds some bonding.

He is still feisty and entitled, but we are getting better at learning his body language. We are just having to accept that he will come to US when he wants pets. Sometimes we can snag him and convince him to cuddle for a bit when he is just waking up from a nap, haha. He might never be the type of cat to let us just pet him whenever. He could always be kind of feisty when it comes to telling us what he doesn't like via batting at us or trying to nip at us. lol I'm willing to accept that as long as he doesn't RUN at us or attack us for no reason. 

Here are some pictures from just a bit ago when Gage and I were cuddling (he had just woken up from a nap under the bed and wanted some love!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey guys!

Been awhile since I've heard from anyone.

I hope everyone's kittens are transforming from grumpy-gators to sweet little butterflies! lol

Gage is definitely a feisty boy. No where near a butterfly. But, at least we are getting to pet him more often. And he doesn't bite hard really, unless you try to make him do something he really doesn't want. Like today when I saw blood in his mouth and was trying to pry it open to see! He bit me pretty hard for that. Turns out he is just teething - his upper left canine tooth is wiggly and bleeding a little bit. You can see the adult tooth sticking out slightly! It's nifty! But, man was he not in the mood for that!

Also, he still will get over stimulated during cuddle time and ninja-bite you before running away. Guess that's just him. lol

I caught a great picture of the magic!

Hehe, he's such a little butthead.

Can't believe he turns 6 months old on Tuesday! Been almost a month since he was neutered. I'd say he's only calmed down a titch. Gone from about a 9 to a 7. Haha.

Hope Lucy and the masses are all calming down as time goes by! Just wanted to give a shout out!

PS: My cat is obsessed with the sink. Goes with his water fascination. I can turn on the faucet while he is like this and he doesn't care!

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I just joined recently so I'm just now seeing this thread. I skimmed/read most of it so forgive me if I'm repeating anything (I'm sure that I am).

Everyone is right about him growing out of it. To put this in perspective, if he was 13 weeks when you got him then he was roughly equivalent to a 4 year old human child. Those are prime toddler years! What do toddlers do? Get into messes that make their parents crazy. Have more energy than a thousand wild stallions. Misbehave and then act unbearably cute. So really....the behavior you were dealing with is normal and expected for that age range.

Based on what you're describing I think Gage is a high-energy cat. No matter the breed, all cats (and dogs) have unique personality traits. Just like some people are naturally higher energy and others are naturally laid back, cats can be the same way. Sounds like you have an Olympic champion with ADHD in Gage.

Getting him neutered is DEFINITELY going to help long-term. You may not see the dividends on that right now but you will. Getting older will also help. Once he gets to be around 6 months old he'll be the equivalent of a 15-year-old human....then you should see some of that adolescent laziness set in.

I know you say having a 2nd cat isn't practical, but the truth is a 2nd cat makes no more impact on your household (in terms of space, mess, etc) than one cat does. Your litter and food expenses go up only marginally. Since he was rescued with his siblings and cared for in those first few weeks, he is likely missing that interaction. Believe me, a second cat does wonders to address these issues. High energy cats do not make great solo pets. But if a 2nd cat is just 100% out of the question, continue committing yourself to extra playtime and giving him lots of exercise. If you wear him out then he can relax more with you when you're ready to chill.

Lastly....bit of practical advice having dealt with MANY ankle and toe-biters myself (including one of my most recent rescues):

Throw a thick blanket or a towel over the end of the bed where your feet go at night. He will probably still attack the moving lump under the covers, but if he doesn't hurt you then you don't have that involuntary reaction. The involuntary reaction "rewards" his behavior (i.e. I pounced, it moved, so I pounce again!) and encourages him to attack with more fervor. If you can shield yourself from the pain and involuntary reaction, he'll get bored and go find something else to chase and pounce on.

Hope he's doing well now. He's got such beautiful eyes and you can tell he loves you from the way he looks at you.

xenabean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't read through this whole thread as i am at work but i can totally relate!! And not to worry you but my cat is 10 months old now AND he has been fixed and still is crazy and acts out! He is VERY aggressive and mean when he is in that mode. Bites any flesh that is out in the open. He attacks feet, legs, arms, hands, you name it. And other times hes a total sweetheart. Bipolar much? lol  I keep being told hes just a kitten too and he will grow out of it, but i feel your pain. it is very hard to deal with!

czygyny

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just want to post this update:

I have had Mooni for eleven weeks now and this is the first time she has ever crawled into my lap and let me pet her without the usual biting! she just laid there curled up and purring up a storm. I hated to break it up but after ten minutes I had to get up to do something. That was very special (for her). She has been the most fun cat to play with, but the worst for a cuddle buddy. We've made progress today! 

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update on Sawyer...

He is fine some days and a demon other days!  I do time outs when he attacks me and if he won't stop when I try and distract him.  I just put him in the bedroom and shut the door (he has food, water and litter box in the master bath).  If I am in the bedroom trying to sleep and he attacks my head..which only happens on the odd day..I shut him in the bathroom for a few minutes.  This usually helps because it helps him calm down and get out of attack state (except sometimes I get distracted and forget he is in there!).  I don't know if he realizes WHY he is being shut away, but at least it helps him calm down.   I thought by now he would be done with the attacking but it still happens occasionally, now that his teeth are mostly adult it HURTS, but he very rarely breaks skin. Usually it is because he is bored, or at least that is my guess.  He has a ton of toys but I think he wants attention.  So I try to play with him when I can tell he is wanting to attack...I don't know how he doesn't realize by now that is not the right way to get attention.. but I guess even negative attention is still attention.  I have learned scruffing him and any type of negative response does not work with him, it just riles him up more and makes him come back harder at me.  Sometimes it is hard not to get mad at him and just to try and redirect him or calmly put him in the bedroom, but we are trying to be consistent!  I hope in the next few months he will settle down.  He will be 6 months old on Wednesday. :)   He is a sweet boy at times, and more than he is not.  When I get home from work he will spend a long time rubbing against me and wanting pets, and cuddling up on me and purring.  He would do it forever and probably fall asleep with me if I would let him!  I have had to sew so many holes in my leggings....he jumps up on my legs and bites and then puts holes in them!  I fixed a bunch of them a couple weeks ago, luckily haven't had to since then...hopefully that means he isn't doing it as often!

Took this picture today, he has already been shut in the bedroom 2 times which is more than normal...I have the day off and have been home all day...right now he is sleeping on his cat tree, thank goodness! 

juleska

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great update and GREAT pictures!!! That is excellent progress. He's got a strong personality, you have many years of entertainment ahead of you as he continues to mature.

iluvlucy15

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow! It's certainly been a while! Lucy is still her fiesty self but has grown and made significant progress in her attitude. She's like my little tomboy kitten... haha She is wild at times, we still play lots but has calmed down a lot.

She is 7 months now and she sleeps and cuddles more. And it really just seemed to happen overnight one day. At first I thought something was wrong haha, but she had just grown up! She sleeps with me every night, and doesn't really move from midnight onto 6am,so I'm happy with that. I've even gone away on a couple of weekend trips and had a friend check in daily and she said she has seen a great improvement too. Her and I are big on head bunts :) and when she loves, she loves hard. I said that before..

Glad Gage is doing better overall and happy we somewhat have our home life under control... But we all know the cats run the household! haha

Here's some updated pics of my Lucy girl!