Kitten Afraid of New People

oreosmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All,

We adopted two fabulous brother kittens, and they were both around people and had the same socialization and  first home.   They are four months old right now, and we have had them about five weeks.   They are very friendly and playful with all members of our household.   When a new person comes into the house, Max, one our kittens,  gets really frightened and runs away and hides.   By contrast, Nico goes up to new people and greets them!  

Can you give me some ideas on how to help Max overcome his fear of new people ?   

Thanks ....Oreo's Mom

Max and Nico

sueasinsue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can relate to your situation. I rescued two kittens-2 years ago this past June. When I first brought them home I kept them in their own room, because they were tiny, 8 weeks old. They hid under the bed for the first 5 days! They seemed very skittish in general.  I would go in the room and spend lots of time with them, and they finally came around, however when people came over to see them, they were GONE! Hiding under the bed.

2 years later they are still the same when people come over to visit-now here is the weird thing, some people they don't mind. It's not the cat lovers or soft spoken people, it is just random people! One friend of mine is LOUD, constantly talking, bangs his hand on the table, the cats have no fear of him. They warm right up to him and sit near him? The plumber they have never seen before, they thought he was the best, rubbing up against his legs and head butting his bag of tools?

They have gotten somewhat better-at least they do come out for some people. But I have no idea how to get them to socialize and be around people. I am curious if anyone else has suggestions?

alyssam

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do they enjoy cat treats? Or a specific type of cat toy?

When you have guests come over try giving them treats the second they come in the door to give to your adorable new kitties. If Max doesn't come out to the sound of the treats, have your company take a cat toy and try to entice your little guy to come out and play! Ideally, he should begin to associate new people with good things like treats and play. 

Let me know if you try this and if it works!
Best of luck

sueasinsue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried cat treats, toys, cat nip....for some reason there are just certain people they are petrified of? They have gotten better, they will eventually come out from under the bed, but they stay in the bedroom. When I have had guests who are cat lover sand they beg me to see them, we head upstairs with toys, treats, but the minute they see this person, they back under the bed? I can't figure it out.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
to @sueasinsue  and @Oreosmom1:

@AlyssaM  has given great advice! that should help with your kitten(s) being more comfortable around people that come to visit.

but its really important to remember, that if your cat just wants to go into hiding, let him/her go into hiding. Some cats just do not like change, and cannot handle it very well. another person who doesn't live in your home, coming into your home is considered a change. your cat can't change the fact that they are there, so they are doing the next best thing, which is hide. 

i have two cats myself. My Charlie is so super friendly. He will go up to everyone and instantly become their lap cat. He's very social and very curious and brave. he loves when new people come to the house. My Jet, is the complete opposite. She is super skittish, and will never be seen by people who come to visit my home. People only remember her existence when they see pictures of her. She will hide under the bed and peek out every now and then to see who is visiting, but she stays out of site. I've had visitors try to entice her with play with her favorite toy, and to entice her with treats...she will come upto them, snatch the treat out of their hands with her mouth, and scurry off under the bed or into the closet. you just simply cannot get her to stay out.

its okay for your cat to be skittish. cats are cats, and they are not dogs. its important to understand your cats needs, and let them be. one thing that i do, is before i know someone will come over, i give both of my cats calming treats. these can be purchased on amazon, or any pet store. it can reduce the stress of having unfamiliar people in the house. although it doesn't keep my Jet from hiding, it makes her less stressed out, which makes me feel better.

another thing to understand here is, when your cat is hiding, and if you are forcing your cat to come out and "meet everyone" that will stress your cat out even more, and for cats, stress = illness. Most important thing. cats are not like humans or dogs, where more exposure does not = desensitization. 

Last edited:

siamese mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats all hide when a stranger hits the house.  With the exception of one of my daughter's friends, who is over so much, she is almost like family!

I wouldn't worry about it too much.  If you friends just absolutely have to see the cats, make sure you've got a few photos on your phone or taped to the fridge!

sueasinsue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I just never had cats like this before, so I wasn't sure if this was ok behavior or what?  All the cats I have owned through out my life were social and had no fear of strangers.

Now if people are coming over (more than 1 or 2) I put them in the bedroom with food and water and a litter box and shut the door. I just wish I could figure out what it is about some people they don't mind? Why would they have NO fear of a complete stranger-but they hide from someone that they have "heard" come into the house many times? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oreosmom1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks All for your suggestions and comments!  I will try the treats and perhaps he will come out of his shell.  My neighbor suggested a tiny bit of tuna as a real treat.  We'll give it a go and I will keep you posted!

Warm regards,

Oreo's Mom

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I guess I just never had cats like this before, so I wasn't sure if this was ok behavior or what?  All the cats I have owned through out my life were social and had no fear of strangers.

Now if people are coming over (more than 1 or 2) I put them in the bedroom with food and water and a litter box and shut the door. I just wish I could figure out what it is about some people they don't mind? Why would they have NO fear of a complete stranger-but they hide from someone that they have "heard" come into the house many times? 
cat's are more in tune with personalities, and the vibe that people and other animals give off (makes sense right?)

and they are naturally more attracted to people that are calm, relaxed, and don't seem like a threat.

They can also sense excitement, and nervousness, which someone might feel if they come over to your house, and are anxious to get a glimpse of your kitty, and cats hate that. At least I know my girl Jet does. She hates when she feels like someone is anxious to see her, or is watching her, or that she is the center of attention

So it could be that some cats pick up on that energy, and react accordingly. so perhaps a stranger entering your house, who doesn't even know you have cats, and isn't too concerned with them, and could be that they are just calm relaxed and neutral, and your kitty picked up on that, and your kitty realizes "this person will leave me a lone and let me be", so she comes out of her shell a little. vs someone who knows you and knows you have cats and wants to see them and they're anxious to see your kitties, your kitty could be thinking "they're here for me, and i'm not at all about that right now. peace out!"

cats really pick up on emotions, and energies that we put out. its crazy.

I hope that made some sense. I'm basing this off of my experience with my girl Jet.