Kitten affection slow to grow?

wispyrustle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 7 month old kitten who is a sweetheart - no biting, scratching or anything. He follows us around the house and loves to help with chores. We've had him since he was 9 weeks old. I think its kind of weird that I just, in the past 2 days, got my first head-bonk and just last night he kneaded on me for the first time. He generally doesn't love petting all that much. I'm only curious - not concerned or anything - if some kittens just take a long time to be physically affectionate. I still have hopes that he'll learn to like petting and affection more so I was wondering if anyone has had a kitten who developed that as they got a little older.
thank you!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Every kitten/cat is different. Even after several years, the relationships we have with our cats change occasionally.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, I think they tend to be more affecionate, more personal, more liking petting as they get older.

Ours did, especielly the older of them.

Good luck!

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience, my cats have gotten more affectionate as they got older. Some took many years to become lap cats and want to be close to their humans a lot.

Robin

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They can grow more affectionate as they get older. Or the amount of affectionate they give you as a kitten, can stay the same when they grow up. It depends on the cat. Some cats love being patted and held. Other's are happiest next to you, but not on you. I've had both.

sarah0315

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my kittens is the same way. It's almost like she doesn't know what to do. She doesn't headbutt yet, and only occasionally rubs against the legs when I'm giving her wet food. I'm hoping once she is ready to venture out into the rest of this house she will learn a lot from the older cats.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On the whole, most kittens are too busy to be bothered with petting, cuddling etc. except when THEY want it. They can also go from wild as a jack rabbit to cuddly and the other way as well. It's a rare kitten (IME) that loves cuddles right from the start - have one orphaned and she was like that, and even now when upset, will try to crawl inside my shirt or sweater because she remembers that as a safe, warm place. Conversely, have had some that went wild as they grew older, and now have one that was crazy wild up to the end of November (born inside) and something clicked, and now this kitten about glues himself to me all the time.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can take a year or more for Stockholm syndrome to take effect.