kitten adoption, fell through

SIPPY174

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi evreyone,

I am hoping to get some encouragement for my recent decision. We adopted two 12 week kittens two weeks ago from a very small rescue group. A few days later one of the kitties stopped eating well, and had low energy. Per the rescue her personality was very laid back so it was hard to gauge personality vs lethargy. I decided to schedule her an appt at the vet for a check up the next day. However, she suddenly started walking strange and was leaning as if she was not able to walk. I immediately took her to the ER vet who didn't really do much aside form fluids and advised me to f/u with my main vet.

I took both kitties to the vet the next day, along with stool samples. They put both on antibiotics and gave an appetite enhancer to the sick kitty. She seemed to be walking better but still low appetite. I would have to hand feed her churu treats and try to spoon feed baby food throughout the day. Took her back for a check on Fri, she had a fever, still alert but the same chill energy/no playing. On Fri the vet failed to mention they found coccidia in the other kitty's stool. So they started treating both with Albon, and changed sick kitties antibiotic to a diff one. She was on it for like 3 days without much difference. Dr did bloodwork and based on the levels, high globulin, he suspects FIP.

During this time, I had been in touch with the rescue group who actually mentioned FIP prior and told me to look into the experimental FIP treatment. They are currently doing the FIP treatment injections (84 days) on one of their kittens they have in their care now. I work alot and have two small children and the past week it has already been a whirlwind of emotions (not even considering the financial component). The rescue said they would take both kitties back without an issue so I constantly went back and forth on what to do.

Yesterday I made the tough decision to give both kitties back to the rescue, hoping they have the resources and time to get the sick kitty mostly, whatever care she needs. We couldve kept the other kitten but it just did not feel right to keep one, especially as they were together the whole time. I can't help but feel guilty and broken hearted. I got super attached, and so did my 8yo daughter. Please send me any words of encouragement that this will get easier and that I made the right decision for these babies.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Caring for kittens with big health issues is expensive and emotionally exhausting and there exists a good possibility that one or both might not make it. And if I were in your position and had a young children I don’t know I would want to have them go through this either. So, yes, I think you did the right thing. Before you consider adopting again I would wait at least a few weeks and do a thorough cleaning of all cat things or toss them and buy new just so that whatever these kittens had doesn’t get passed on to your new ones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SIPPY174

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Caring for kittens with big health issues is expensive and emotionally exhausting and there exists a good possibility that one or both might not make it. And if I were in your position and had a young children I don’t know I would want to have them go through this either. So, yes, I think you did the right thing. Before you consider adopting again I would wait at least a few weeks and do a thorough cleaning of all cat things or toss them and buy new just so that whatever these kittens had doesn’t get passed on to your new ones.

Thank you for your input. Yes, it was hard for the kids to watch mommy give the kitties medicine, take temp, and have to spoon feed. The joy of an adoption turned into devastation. I am hoping that the rescue can help them and follow-up through on their medical care. As of right now, I can't even open my heart to think about adopting more kitties as I am still grieving, but will definitely deep clean if we do. I hear Rescue is good for that. Thanks again for your input

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its not uncommon dormant infections on a seemingly healthy kitten burst open when the kitten is changing milieu. This is esp common with kittens from shelters, and esp if they had infection problems there: and many shelter have; if they are packed with kittens and cats... Lotsa viruses and bacterias going around. "a hight infectious pressure".
But also breeders may have this problem, so lets not deem shelters.

Anyway, a way to try and reduce the stress of milieu change, is to make it as easy for the kitten as possible. Also, good if its vaccinated, dewormed etc before it changes home.

You did surely right, esp if the rescue HAS resources for adequate treatment of sicklish kittens.