Kitten acts starved

kuuripu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our newest kitten has been rather difficult to deal with. We have two older cats (both female 2, almost 3 year olds). Our first female is the dominant, the second is shy and reserved.
The new kitten is male, awaiting to be neutered next week.
He reacts to any good as if he has never eaten. We have to lock him in the bathroom until our other cats are done eating or he will take theirs. Our dominant tried growling and hissing at him to protect hers and it doesn't phase him. Our shy cat will not eat around him knowing he'll just take it from her.
So, we now lock him in the bathroom till both females are done, then he's kernels out to eat his. He eats a can of wet food in the morning and a can at night, same as the other cats.
When it comes to me and my fiancé eating, he'll snatch food out of our hands, off our plates. No matter how many times we push him away, say no and place him back on the floor he won't listen. We're to the point we have to lock him in the bathroom when we eat as well.
When it comes to cooking, turn your back and he's on the counter eating what we've just prepared. Eating small food particles out of the sink if we didn't was h it out well enough.
We keep a bowl of food out for our feral that lives outside our house, and every time the front door is opened he's darting out there to eat it.

I'm at a loss of what to do with him. Is there anything besides just moving him and saying no that we can do? Both positive and negative reinforcement do not work. We tried using stern negative tone when saying no, ignoring, simply pushing him away and putting him back on the floor saying no sternly.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated. Our shy cat is petrified around him. She won't even take treats because he'll just take them from her.
(Our shy cat gets along with him fine, she just won't eat around him.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kuuripu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the spelling mistakes! Not sure how to go back and fix on mobile.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is the kitten? Kittens need to eat alot of food because they're growing at a rapid rate. It's recommended to feed kittens as much as they want to eat. You can't overfeed a growing kitten. One 3 oz can of food twice a day is not enough, IMO. One 5.5 oz can twice a day, or spread throughout the day if possible, would be better and some kittens can eat even more than that.

kuuripu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How old is the kitten? Kittens need to eat alot of food because they're growing at a rapid rate. It's recommended to feed kittens as much as they want to eat. You can't overfeed a growing kitten. One 3 oz can of food twice a day is not enough, IMO. One 5.5 oz can twice a day, or spread throughout the day if possible, would be better and some kittens can eat even more than that.
I feel silly, I can't believe that never crossed my mind. I give him what our two adults get, which is 2 cans of fancy feast chicken pate daily. The cans are 3oz each so he gets a total of 6oz. Should I be giving him 3 3oz cans instead of the two?

kuuripu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I'd say about 3-4months old now

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
give him as much as he can eat for now.  if he starts putting on weight, you can cut down to 2 1/2 cans, but chances are good the kitten is a lot more active than the mature cats.

btw, does he finish all his food?

kuuripu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
give him as much as he can eat for now.  if he starts putting on weight, you can cut down to 2 1/2 cans, but chances are good the kitten is a lot more active than the mature cats.

btw, does he finish all his food?
He always finnishes it all, and makes his rounds to the other cat's empty bowls to ensure there's no crumbs. Lol
The only thing we're really struggling with is disciplining him.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds hungry to me! Kittens eat A LOT. Can you up the wet food you give him and also leave dry food down all of the time?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fancy Feast makes a kitten canned food. Can you feed that to your kitten? You can feed adult food to a kitten, as many are labeled as "for all life stages", but you need to feed more of the food to meet a growing kitten's nutrient requirements.

Try three or four 3 oz cans daily for the kitten. Some kittens can eat as much as 10 oz of food a day. Spread the food out throughough the day if possible instead of giving like two whole cans twice a day. Kittens have little tummies so a few small meals daily is best. A 3 - 4 month old kitten needs lots of food. It's fine if the kitten licks the other cats' bowls clean.

Cats don't really discipline well. Here's an article: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cats-and-discipline-dont-mix It takes patience and time to teach a kitten what is a no no bad behavior. Just keep giivng a firm NO to unwanted behavior and redirect your kitten's attention to something safe, like a toy.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He always finnishes it all, and makes his rounds to the other cat's empty bowls to ensure there's no crumbs. Lol
The only thing we're really struggling with is disciplining him.
disciplining him?

why?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the kitten's history, but I would guess that he has been hungry in his short life. Many times cats who have suffered hunger go crazy when someone begins to feed them. He is eating so much because he is afraid the food supply will disappear. In addition to the wet food, I would give him a small bowl of dry food to eat during the day. Try to imagine how he feels - he is not doing this to annoy you. And this kind of behavior gradually diminishes over time. You need to be patient with him. And keep him away from the front door - he may dart away!

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very possible that he has parasites. Has the vet given him a de-wormer yet? One outdoor cat that I rescued required two different de-wormer medications and a course of antibiotics before the worms left. He used to act desperately hungry and steal sticks of butter and loaves of bread even though I had several bowls of dry food out 24/7 for all the cats. I also want to mention that stool samples are not a very accurate way of gauging whether or not a cat has parasites. The cat I'm talking about had two stool samples done and they tested negative for parasites, and only when blood work was done did the vet see that he was badly infected with parasites. I would advise that you let this cat eat as much as he wants to eat. Parasites deplete a cat's system of all nutrition, which is especially dangerous for a kitten. Even if your kitten turns out to not have parasites, I would advise that you leave free-standing food out for him. Since all of my cats are rescue cats, and most of them have experienced starvation and have food issues, I leave several bowls of dry food out 24/7 in addition to giving them wet food. I would rather they get a little chubby than ever experience anxiety about food again. Thanks for helping this kitten. Please don't "discipline" your cat for being desperate for food--that is definitely not the way to bond or build trust.

Last edited:

r-kins

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens definitely eat a lot, so you have some good advice here.

Also, some cats have serious food aggression. I know people who have to put locks on their fridge because their cat will open the fridge to get food from inside. And obviously he has to be put in the bathroom while the other cat eats because he'll take hers first.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since all of my cats are rescue cats, and most of them have experienced starvation and have food issues, I leave several bowls of dry food out 24/7 in addition to giving them wet food. I would rather they get a little chubby than ever experience anxiety about food again. Thanks for helping this kitten. Please don't "discipline" your cat for being desperate for food--that is definitely not the way to bond or build trust.
Terrific advice. Eventually he will not gobble up all the kibble, but will nibble on it during the day & night. There's nothing worse than being hungry.