Kitten (3 weeks and 5 days old) not walking normally

kimmers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I brought home a stray and she had three kittens under my bed. She's been taking excellent care of them and they are starting to explore my room. There are 2 whites ones and one black one. To be honest, I don't spend all that much time with them (I'm a single mom, college student and I'm interning as a paralegal at a law firm). Anyway, I don't have the best memory and I haven't kept notes or anything but I feel like the two white ones are more active. I have definitely seen the two white ones walking on all fours. The white ones seems like they're always together and explore more. The black one seems to sleep more. Anyway, I just went in my room and I was petting the black one and he started to move around. I noticed that it seemed like he was half crawling and half walking. His rear was all the way up in the air (standing up on his hind legs) but his front paws, legs, and chest remained on the floor. He doesn't appear to be able to bear any weight on his front legs.

What can/should I do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are his front legs bent backwards? Can you post a picture of him please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His front legs are not bent backwards but he definitely doesn't stand, walk, or sit. He only lays down or crawls.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks healthy. Can he stand if you hold him up?

Last edited:

kimmers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No. He seems floppy. Do you think he's just lagging behind his sisters a little bit? Maybe they passed through this stage too and I missed it. 

Earlier he kind of climbed on my foot or leg (can't remember specifically) and I had the sense that he was using his front paws to pull himself up a little bit.

I wasn't able to get a picture of him really on the move with his bottom in the air, completely standing on his hind legs. I will keep my phone with me so next time I can get a picture.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, this is not normal.

I want to get catwoman707 catwoman707 's thoughts on this. I'm wondering if this kitten has cerebellar hypoplasia, and if he/she could walk with splints on its front legs.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been my experience (with foster babies) that they all develop at their own pace.  At 3 weeks, they are wobbl...very wobbly. I have three right now, and at 3 weeks, 2 of them were starting to play and the little one dragged her belly in a have walk half drag motion.  They are currently 24 days old and all three are romping and playing like kittens.  Keep an eye on him, but give him a few days to learn where his legs are.

kimmers

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are 27 days old. They were born Tuesday, March 14th and they will be 4 weeks old tomorrow.

He uses his front and back paws (not to stand or walk, but when playing with his siblings) I'm think I saw him in a sitting position last night, but I can't be sure. It was dimly lit and my battery was dead so I couldn't take a picture.

I have a Facebook friend who's a veterinarian in England. I sent her a message last night. She asked me to shoot video but she said it doesn't sound good :-(

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would talk to your local vet and get either x-rays or ultrasound.  It's been a couple of days since I posted and by now, he should be all over the place. I was hoping it was just slow development but this doesn't sound right.  Mine are coming up on 4 weeks and the slow developing runt is now 'climbing the walls'.  Yours may need splints or something else to get him upright.   Good luck and keep us posted.  

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is definitely not normal.  Get him to your vet for x-rays and evaluation.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a little dollcake this kitten is, poor little punkin!

Actually not, he doesn't know any different, but still stifles him.

NOT CH, not any type I have ever seen or dealt with at least.

There is something wrong. It is not development at his own pace either, his hind legs are wanting to be upright as they should be but doesn't seem to have enough muscle in front legs to carry his chest up.

He really needs to be evaluated and ASAP, since this incredible rate of growth slows down weekly at this point, and needs to be worked with while still developing so fast.

Possibly physical therapy exercise will get his muscles strengthened, but no, def not normal and should be seen right away for the best outcome/fix.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Physical therapy on his front legs, and possibly splints, may help to get him mobile on the front end. I would not give up on him because he is so healthy otherwise!

I would start massaging his front legs and manipulating them to try to build muscle. Let us know what the vet says. [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at the video, it's obvious he does not have the muscle strength to raise his body above his legs. As everyone else says, a vet is needed ASAP. Be careful that his siblings do not bully him as they can sense his weakness.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any update today? Are you able to bring the little guy in for evaluation?