Kitten 3 months old, terror to adult

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems Abby is a hardcore play kitty.......this is manageable, but does take patience and firmness to show her what is going to far. This is probably what Angel is feeling, it's just to much! But you must remember she is a kitten and has no other guidance and parenting other then you and Angel. Obviously Angel wants nothing to do with it, so it is up to you. If you do decide it is to much, try to find her a home through you if you can, she is only being a kitten and obviously feels so comfortable in her new home that she is testing her limits with everyone. I am sure your last post was frustration, but it would be horrible to think of her in the shelter......... Maia is an extremely aggressive player.........When she was a kitten she never scratched or bit to hard, but I always prepare for it as they grow up. I started playing with her paws and trimming her claws at 3-4 months, just getting her use to it (of course she still protests!). I have heard a lot of positive things about Soft Paws, never tried myself but thats just me
. I will admit I have been known for having scratches on my hands since often I instigate the rough play
. When it gets extremely out of hand, no regard towards inflicting pain, my little trick is the "kitty hold" or the "claw".......

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah, you'll definitely have to train her and she is TOTALLY trainable at this age. so don't worry about that....but you'll need to make sure you don't send mixed signals. like don't play with her at all with your hands or your feet. and if she attacks you, don't try to pull away - go limp and she'll think you're 'dead' and stop attacking.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I'd really urge you to go adopt another kitten for the little one to rough house with. They are unlikely to gang up on the older cat - too busy chasing each other.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

yeah, you'll definitely have to train her and she is TOTALLY trainable at this age. so don't worry about that....but you'll need to make sure you don't send mixed signals. like don't play with her at all with your hands or your feet. and if she attacks you, don't try to pull away - go limp and she'll think you're 'dead' and stop attacking.
If she does attack your hands or feet out of no where, let out a "hey" or "owwww" firmly and let her know that hurts or is not ok! Walk away from her and let her be a crazy cat in her own world, when she tries to drag you or Angel into that world, tell her "calm down" over and over firmly, this is something I have to do with Maia often
.......love her!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO I'd really urge you to go adopt another kitten for the little one to rough house with. They are unlikely to gang up on the older cat - too busy chasing each other.
My biggest fear in this instance would be Angel feeling completely shut out. Two kittens is double duty parenting, even if they end up focusing on each other, it will apply to everything! One bites a cord, the other follows, one jumps on the stove, scratches something, eats or claws furniture, and less likely to listen to you since they have each other........just IMO.......