Kitten 10 weeks old not sure worms cause of weak stool

MrB.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

First time posting here, I became recently the owner of a farm kitten, european shorthair, since last week. I took him to the vet immediately for his first kitten vaccins. When I just had him here his stool was very firm and normal. As the days go by I notice his stool becoming more weaker and I am not sure if the cause is worms or the food that I give him. I free feed him dry food in a bowl, that he nibs when he feels he is hungry. Sometimes I give him some pieces of boiled chicken.

I am thinking of deworming him, but my vet told me to wait 2 weeks until his next vaccination appointment.

Some pics of the stool that gradually became weaker, 1 that was a week a go, and 2 of today and yesterday:

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It could be worms, or it could be the food you are feeding him. Is it different from what he was eating before? If so, do you happen to know what he was eating prior to you taking over his care? If so, I would put him back on that food and every so slowly introduce him to what you want him to start eating with you. Let's say you start adding in about 10% new food to his barn fed food. See if his stool firms up, and if it does fine, then increase the new food to 25 % for a few days. If things go well, then increase to 50/50 for a few more days, and if things still look good, keep increasing and watching for changes until he's 100% in the new food.

Also, you could try adding in some probiotics to his food. Often that will help, although with a 10 week old kitten, you might discuss this with your Vet first. You aren't giving him any cow's milk, are you? That can also result in lose stool. Kittens can usually do ok with it, but as they grow older, they usually become lactose intolerant, oddly enough. Not sure at what point that happens. KMR is ok to give though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MrB.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what for dry food they gave him at the farm, but they did give him raw meat and cows milk. I was surprised when they told me they gave him cow milk. But his stool didnt show a problem on the first 2 days when I got him. I will have to ask what for dry food they gave him and I will try that out. I also just made an appointment for upcoming tuesday at the vet.

The thing is he is gaining weight as he is supposed to. So his body is taking in the nutrients.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My guess is the looser stools are from the dietary change. Changing foods almost always results in diarrhea unless it is done slowly. The kitten should also eat kitten wet cat food. A diet of dry food only is not as healthy, and if the dry food is made with grain and fillers it is especially not as good as one that is grain-free with a high protein content.