Kiteen bitting and or suckling fingers

kodakun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not to sure what this is exactly. My 3 month old kitten Kuro has recently started what I can only describe as a suckling bitting thing on my fingers. In not all to sure if he is bitting or suckling, any way to distinguish the 2 in kittens? It really seems like he is using my finger as a pacifier of sorts but it also seems like he is just gnawing at my fingers while he is doing that.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's fairly normal behavior at that age; your cat is teething most likely to put it simply. You will want to provide a small chewing toy and offer them as an alternative when he goes for your fingers to stop any unwanted habit from forming (not so great to have an adult gnawing on fingers).  

Mine LOVED the mint stick from PetStages (  ). But PetStages has a lot of really great teething type toys that will give your fingers a break and your kitten an outlet.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kodakun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure cause while he is gnawing a bit it really seems like he is suckling, he has many toys he chews on but my fingers are the only things he does the weird suckling gnawing thing to.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It might be a combo of holdover wanting to nurse with the teething although typically if we are talking a nursing holdover they will also kneed at the same time they chew on something. Mine who kept on that into adulthood would just put her nose against whatever she kneeded with her tongue slightly out, no sucking.  

But yes, I am sure that yours is the right age for teething. Offer an alternative teething option with a toy instead of your fingers. Its not a good idea to get a cat used to fingers and hands as a biting, chewing or play item because it can be a hard habit to break when they are big enough to do some damage. He is probably going for your fingers because they are slightly harder than most soft toys, softer than hard toys and long enough to reach all his teeth; just right to relieve sore gums and teeth. The cat teething toys are a similar size and density to a finger and they can get to the back teeth. 

Even if I am wrong a diverting of his attention from fingers to an appropriate toy is a good idea. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kodakun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wasn't discounting the teething thing, just want to make sure I'm tackling the right problem. I will most likely get this at Petco sometime today or tomorrow since they sell it there. Thanks for the advice