Kitchen Shade

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Rick put the Roman shade up at the kitchen window at the sink. I haven't decided yet how I feel about it. Oh, I know it needed to be done; we have way too much going on on the hill behind our property and it's been making Dear Richard a little uncomfortable.

When it's up, it doesn't cut down on the light like I thought it would, probably because we have the two sun tunnels in the kitchen. Those sun tunnels are as valuable as gold to me. This really isn't nearly as dark as what the picture shows....I can still work with no lights turned on. I don't know why it shows up so dark. (That red Noel's chip can? That's the food container for The Beast .)
BlindOne.jpg

Here it is when it's completely opened up at the window. I can still work out here with no lights turned on, unless it's completely dark outside. There are times when I bake cookies and such late at night, if I'm not sleeping well or need the cookies to take into work. Having lights on in the kitchen gives anyone outside a clear view as to what I'm doing and that made Rick nervous.
BlindTwo.jpg

I'm not overly amused by having to have a window shade, but I understand the need.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's nice! We have one over our kitchen window but it looks toward 2 neighbor's houses so we have to have something. I also have a valance up so when it's pulled up you don't see much of the shade. Ours is just a plain khaki color. Ours doesn't sit so nicely because they installed the molding around the window so it overlaps the opening; because the cabinets sit almost right to the edge of the window. We couldn't find a perfect fit and I wasn't buying custom. I just needed some privacy!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Nice kitchen Winchester.

Isn't your back yard what I see outside of the window? Can your neighbours see across the yard into your kitchen?

I only put curtains up in the winter to keep the house a bit warmer. I don't really like curtains and the cats always try to climb up them.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It looks nice. I think Rick is just taking good care of you. At night, you really do need the privacy too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks, guys!

I don't like curtains either, but yes, people can be walking up on the hill at night and see right into the kitchen; Rick and I went up on the hill one night and he was appalled that people can see in so clearly. That makes Rick nervous.....we have an "issue" with one of the neighbors and Rick's tired of dealing with the guy. So now, as soon as it gets dusk outside, Rick pulls the shade down. And during the day, when the guy is up there, we shut all the drapes at the back of the house. It is pretty much a privacy issue. He is a "watcher".

There is a valance at the top of the shade; that hides the hardware. But there's too much shade to hide it all under the valance. I'll get used to it and I'm sure it will make the kitchen look homier at night when I'm baking this winter.

We specifically did not want a cord on the shade.....that's just asking for trouble with Tabby and Mollipop; they love playing with cords and I wasn't going there. Tabby is getting into the habit of sleeping in the kitchen sink! (Many years ago, I had a kitty who loved curling up in the bathroom sink for a nap, but never one who liked sleeping in the kitchen sink!) Rick thinks she's waiting for bugs to appear on the window screen and that could be possible.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
it looks nice Winchester.

If I was Rick, I am sure he wants to punch that person in the nose. I hate rude people. You should hang up a sign that says...well you know. hehehehe. Hang the sign up then shut the shade. Idiot neighbors tick me off.

Good job with the kitchen-looks really good!

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Whoa. Your neighbor sounds creepy. I mean what the heck? The blind looks nice. The colors look great with the paint color of the wall.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the shade. You made a great choice of both colors and pattern. It enhances your kitchen instead of just being utilitarian. Well done!

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, guys!

I don't like curtains either, but yes, people can be walking up on the hill at night and see right into the kitchen; Rick and I went up on the hill one night and he was appalled that people can see in so clearly. That makes Rick nervous.....we have an "issue" with one of the neighbors and Rick's tired of dealing with the guy. So now, as soon as it gets dusk outside, Rick pulls the shade down. And during the day, when the guy is up there, we shut all the drapes at the back of the house. It is pretty much a privacy issue. He is a "watcher".
<snip>
i totally understand what it's like to have a 'watcher' living near you. i have a couple that lives next door that do that, so my drapes/curtains are drawn on that side of my house. it's totally creepy.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That is kind of creepy. I can understand why Rick wants you to keep the shade closed at night.

I'm lucky here, I don't have any neighbours. I also get plenty of warning if anyone walks up the lane from my herd of wild and feral felines.

:lol2:

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the drape and you sure need one for your nosy neighbor.

I had one like that but she moved last year. She did not work and stayed inside all day and "watched" everybody. She invited me in her house once and she spent the whole time standing in her living room window with the curtain pulled back a little and "watched". I do miss her a little because she is the only one that would help me bring in the groceries and with trash cans.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thank you! I think we're going to be happy with it.

It was weird....I came out to the kitchen last night to get a drink and the shade was down. It's definitely different.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your kitchen is lovely!! (Do you collect bells?)

Neighbors like that would worry me. Our kitchen has two windows and a back door with a big glass panel, but it looks straight back into the woods, and the one time we've had issues with random people since I've been here, Lucas headed outside with a head lamp and a shotgun :updown: Haven't seen any unfamiliar folks since.

Our neighbors that could possibly see into the side window are pretty well blocked by very thick trees.

My biggest concern is the very large window in our front room. I'm sure there's a word for this kind of window; it takes up almost the entire wall and takes three curtain panels. Anyway, I always leave the curtains open during the day so that the furkids can watch the hummingbirds and the feral cats all they want. I have to be careful at night because I'm prone to not always having on a full set of clothes and am very forgetful to close the curtains when it gets dark...luckily, I think our neighbors are pretty good. It used to be a rotating door, as the house was a rental, but the current family has bought it and are very nice. We live in a very tiny town without too much crime (most of the crime stems from the bar a few streets over...ugh). Our front porch stays unlocked, and there's my bicycle and lots of tools in there. Haven't had an issue.

muffy muffy , if I lived near you, I would help you with your groceries and trash cans! You need more nice neighbors.

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! Yes, I do (or did) collect bells. Every time we went somewhere, I'd get a bell. When my parents went to various places, they always gave me a bell. When my paternal aunt passed away, here she had given me all her bells....and she had a lot of them. I have a lot of my bells packed up because there's no place to show them. We did our kitchen over about four years ago, I think. I really like it.

It's just the back that we're really concerned about. I don't want to go into a lot of detail on a public board, but this is a guy who's more than a little weird and he likes to watch the neighbors. It's led to some problems throughout the years and Rick's just tired of dealing with him.

We have a bay window in the living room and, as soon as it starts getting dusk, Rick shuts the drapes. He's a bear about shutting curtains. Me? The whole time he was gone, I don't think I shut those drapes even once.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitchen is lovely!!

muffy muffy , if I lived near you, I would help you with your groceries and trash cans! You need more nice neighbors.
Why thank you!!! That is the nicest thing anybody has said to me in a long time. I need both knees replaced that's why I have a problem getting around.
Have a wonderful day.

Ellen