kitchen disasters, post yours

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually i'm an excellent cook but sometimes i make something and no matter how closely i follow the instructions it turns into a disaster, then there are times when i just ruin a meal by accident.

last night i cooked potato boats and the potato seemed cooked but when i scooped it out and mashed it i gave it a taste test and found out it was all lumpy
i tried to salvage it but it was a lost cause

my biggest kitchen disaster seems to be cakes, i can't even remember how many times iv'e baked one only to have to turn out aweful, somtimes they are too hard and my husband has fun dropping them on the plate to hear the thud and other times they just taste bad.....i have recently found a cake recipe that works great but i'm too scared to try any other because i know they won't work....Jeff used to grimace when i told him i'd baked a cake

Jeff's kitchen disasters are always because he experiments, he sometimes doesn't follow a recipe but just makes it up as he goes, sometimes his experimenting leads to a lovely dinner but other times it's just scary, once he made a tuna casserole but used a whole jar of maonaise
and another time he made mashed potato but added a tin of tomato and onion....we had take out that night

so....what's the worst thing you or your SO have cooked up?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think it would be hard for me to top the time I had a fire while cooking on Mother's Day when my in-laws were over.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Um... the time I tried to bake a spagetti squash in the oven without poking holes in it.
It blew up.

I had a test the next day so I didn't clean it up... then I tried to use the self-cleaning feature on the oven, only it didn't have one so I just turned the oven up to 500 degrees. I smoked myself and the cats out of the house in -5 degree weather.

Then I left it for a couple of weeks.

I finally ended up cleaning it really really well... with a paint scraper and a vacuum... worked like a charm!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

I think it would be hard for me to top the time I had a fire while cooking on Mother's Day when my in-laws were over.
oh no! lol hopefully it didn't cause too much damage.

i was frying hash browns a few years back and i left them on the stove while i washed my hands, after a few seconds i saw an orange flickering reflection in the tiles above the sink and turned around to see the frypan on fire, it was oil and i knew i couldn't use water, the flames from the pan were actually nearly reaching the ceiling so i grabbed the pan and ran outside, i actually threw it near a gas bottle by accident and had to move it again
i ended up with a burned finger but nothing serious, it scared poor bon though.

we have a fire extinguisher now (sp?)

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kaleetha

Um... the time I tried to bake a spagetti squash in the oven without poking holes in it.
It blew up.

I had a test the next day so I didn't clean it up... then I tried to use the self-cleaning feature on the oven, only it didn't have one so I just turned the oven up to 500 degrees. I smoked myself and the cats out of the house in -5 degree weather.

I finally ended up cleaning it really really well... with a paint scraper and a vacuum... worked like a charm!

ovens are sooooo hard to clean, maybe i'll get the paint scraper out next time

i nearly forgot, once i held a fancy dress party and made a tuna-potato bake, i couldn't find it after the party and forgot about it, about three weeks later i had my friend nikki over, we were cooking something nice for Jeff for when he got home for work. she opened the oven to preheat it and her face screwed up, she'd found the tuna bake, it was in the oven where i left it so it would stay warm during the party.....it looked pretty scary

eupnea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tried making Chicken Parmesean and didn't defrost the chicken all the way.. it was still a little frozen in the middle. Apparently this makes the oil pop a LOT. it was like a reverse rainstorm of BOILING HOT OIL.

big mess, but good dinner!

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pandybear

Just make sure you get everything nice and hard before hand! Ya know, like cooking it at 500 degrees!

mikeanderson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I once heated up a large Pyrex dish on an electric burner.... then dumped cold water into it....

Can you say "KABOOM"?

pandybear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just make sure you get everything nice and hard before hand! Ya know, like cooking it at 500 degrees!
i'll have to remember that

I once heated up a large Pyrex dish on an electric burner.... then dumped cold water into it....

Can you say "KABOOM"?

cassandrao

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently found out my kitchen achilles heel... Instant pudding *hangs head*

I can take any recipe and make it well on the first try, I can do more than one baking project at once an come out with yummy results, and yet I burn freaking Jello Instant Pudding.

it may smell like slightly chocolate marshmallows... but it tastes like evil

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CassandraO

I just recently found out my kitchen achilles heel... Instant pudding *hangs head*

I can take any recipe and make it well on the first try, I can do more than one baking project at once an come out with yummy results, and yet I burn freaking Jello Instant Pudding.

it may smell like slightly chocolate marshmallows... but it tastes like evil
Aren't you supposed to just add milk, mix and refrigerate? I've never heard of it being heated

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worst I have ever had was cooking Thanksgiving dinner and the oven went out
with 20 people waiting to eat, I had to take the bird to my sis-in-laws and finish it
at least it was almost done when it went out, and actually what happened another time was my sis-in-law bought the turkey and the thing weighed 35 lbs
I didn't think that thing would ever get done, I told her don't ever get one that big
get 2 small ones

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

It blew up.

Oh now that's a good one there

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pandybear

i nearly forgot, once i held a fancy dress party and made a tuna-potato bake, i couldn't find it after the party and forgot about it, about three weeks later i had my friend nikki over, we were cooking something nice for Jeff for when he got home for work. she opened the oven to preheat it and her face screwed up, she'd found the tuna bake, it was in the oven where i left it so it would stay warm during the party.....it looked pretty scary
Oh my gosh
that's a pretty good one also,