kitchen/bath renovations thread

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's just me, or maybe you have plans for that... but I think the blue looks bad. Especially that it looks like that whole area is blue. Your counters, appliances, and even new furniture don't match what looks more like a "country" color.
Change that up and maybe the cabinets will look better to you - or at least let you work with them longer.

Everything else is nice, but the blue makes it look too small/crowded.

btw, if you've mentioned plans for that elsewhere and I missed it - oops

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i actually chose the formica based on the wall color - but it may not translate well in the pix. there aren't any plans to repaint - i repainted all of the walls about 3-4 years ago - the whole house is blue [well, the laundry room is still yellow, but nobody ever goes in there but me]. the front rooms, hall & bath are that light blue [everything except the kitchen is also faux finished w/lighter blue & white] & the 2 bedrooms [1 of which i use as a den] are a dark blue.
the den is very dark - dark furniture, shades + curtains on the windows. i have migraines - this room is my 'cave' for migraine days.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We chose the formica instead of granite. And now I am glad we did they are having some problems with some kind of health affects to granite. And what we got was the next step down. Dad was going to get laminate but we got him to agree to the other as we told him you get what you pay for. That is why we got ceramic tile for the kitchen and bathroom and laminate floors for the rest ours are that wood laminate and it looks like a maple hardwood. And I like blue one of the bedrooms here is blue. and when I get an office in the basement one day it will be blue.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

the den is very dark - dark furniture, shades + curtains on the windows. i have migraines - this room is my 'cave' for migraine days.
You know, I found out years ago that your room could be completely white, but if no light gets in it doesn't matter. I use to have up to 3 migraines a week (or maybe I never really had a break between them) as a teen till 21. I fixed my bedroom so that absolutely no light could get in.
Point - you can get very very good shades to help with light problems.

I like blue, but I don't think it works well for large areas - or at least not a lot of shades of it do. The master bedroom in DH and I's house has a blue bedroom, and some holes in the walls to fix. I'm thinking a warm beige color so the room looks bigger.
The blue you used, makes the rooms look small in the pictures. A break between it while taking the blue (and other hues of it) into smaller stuff - throw blankets, pillows and so on would just add the illusion of more space.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love it!

Even if some people dont agree with the colour blue, (i have walked out of many open houses due to the colour as it gets on my nerves) As long as you love it and feel confortable i dont see why you have to change it!

I know this house suits you so this is why i love it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

The blue you used, makes the rooms look small in the pictures. A break between it while taking the blue (and other hues of it) into smaller stuff - throw blankets, pillows and so on would just add the illusion of more space.
it's not the color - the rooms ARE small. the whole house is only 927 square feet!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

it's not the color - the rooms ARE small. the whole house is only 927 square feet!
I figured that.
Initially DH was looking at a house around that size - since it's just the two of us and pets. I told him no.
Besides the thing was overpriced for that size.

I've seen people make apartments that size and smaller look bigger. Overall it depends on color choice, furniture, and of course budget.