King Kong

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

We're going to see Wolf Creek tonight. I heard that's the scariest movie ever made EVER! I can't wait!! I don't know if it's been released in the US or UK - it's about Ivan Milat, an Australian serial killer who murdered backpackers in the outback. Oooohhhh creepy
Oh so that's what that movie's about! It says "based on true events" I just thought it was another silly horror movie. Yeah, we got coverage of Ivan Milat over here. Don't you have bad dreams after watching horror flicks?

King Kong is one I'm looking forward to. We don't see many movies, mostly just wait till it's out on DVD. But some movies you have to go to the cinema for to appreciate the fx. I think Kong falls into that category!

Saw "Capote" the other day, really enjoyed it, great acting.

fonzi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OH!~ I can't wait to see it Wolf Creek! It comes ouot I believe Dec. 25th here. Let me know how the movie was..

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, although it must have been 30 years since I've seen the original (I never watched the remake) it also was rather slow and drawn out in the first half or so. Possibly because everyone knows what's coming and wants to get to "the good stuff."

Much of the allure of Kong is the nostalgia factor. The original was after all screened in 1933 and the effects were truly astounding for the time (even with the little biplanes on wires
.) The world in 1930 or thereabouts was a much smaller place, and there was room to believe that such a location as Skull Island with leftover dinosaurs and giant apes might actually exist.

I think Jackson made an excellent choice to remain true to the original version by setting it in that same time period. Somehow, that makes it easier to allow the willing suspension of disbelief and go back to that simpler time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bren.1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sweetiecat3

Personally, I don't see how it could be so great; it seems a bit silly to me. Could somebody open my eyes a bit to how it's a good movie?? I may go and see it, I'm not sure yet....I'm just not into those kinda movies.
For me, it was the action in contrast with the relationships.I love movies that take me away from the real world for awhile. Don't get me wrong, I love realistic, dramatic movies, too.

The only movies I don't see are the based on true events horror flicks, like Wolf Creek. I can't help but think of the families of the victims, and how I would feel if I had a loved one who was a victim of such a person. It's got to be terribly painful for them, to have the story back in the public eye.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deb25
My only question - is Hollywood completely out of ideas that do not involve remakes of old movies, or worse - old tv series?
This is true, but I think in this case it's slightly different. King Kong was always Peter Jackson's favourite movie, and he wanted to do it again and show it off in all it's glory, and make it the best it could be with the resources that today's modern film-making world has to offer.

But as for all the other `just to make a buck' remakes, I couldn't agree more!

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

...But as for all the other `just to make a buck' remakes, I couldn't agree more!"
Arrggghhh. Did anybody else who was a fan of the original (I was in high school, what can I say?
) really *cringe* at the re-make of Starsky & Hutch like I did??? Geez. If it made its investment back *I'd* be surprised.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RoseHawke

Arrggghhh. Did anybody else who was a fan of the original (I was in high school, what can I say?
) really *cringe* at the re-make of Starsky & Hutch like I did??? Geez. If it made its investment back *I'd* be surprised.
Wasn't a fan of Starsky & Hutch, but I had the same reaction about The Dukes of Hazzard.
Even before it came out, I hated the movie. The only person cast even close to right was Uncle Jesse (Willie Nelson).

And have you heard about the Miami Vice movie? ARG! Seriously, WHY would they make that into a movie? It really wasn't THAT good when it was popular! LOL

It just floors me because I know there are probably thousands of struggling writers out there with good, original ideas who are getting passed over for bad remakes of stories already done.

rosehawke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For Miami Vice I was more a fan of the cinematography and editing than the actual show
. There are tons, literally thousands, of books that could be adapted to movies! But most of Hollywood won't even look at adapting a book unless it's a monumental best seller. However I suspect that movies made from other books would certainly do as well and probably much, much, better than these horrendous re-makes.

One book I'm thinking of which I always thought would make a great movie if you're a fan of the genre (the book also has suspense and mild horror aspects too though,) but is totally unknown, is a book titled Howling Mad by Peter David. It follows the premise that if a man bitten by a werewolf turns into a wolf on the full moon, what happens to a wolf bitten by a werewolf
? Actually if you read the book, it's very visual. I suspect it may have been a script that didn't sell.

And of course all the other genres, Mystery, Historical Romances, Fantasy and Science Fiction and on and on ...

Back on topic
, if you go to the imdb site (King Kong), there's some interesting backstory and trivia on the original 1933 movie.