7_angel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The bag I bought of e-bay says the following word for word:

"100% Diatomaceous Earth - 10 lbs.
(Repackaged from Perma Guard 50 lb bag)

Fossil Shell Flour (Food Grade)

A Natural Product composed of ground diatomaceous earth (fresh water type)

Diatomaceous Earth is 84% silicon dioxide and has many uses. As an anti-caking agent mix into animal feed at the rate of 2% of the feed.

Packaged by: Custom Feed Services Corp. Norfolk, NE 68701
1-800-228-5836
www.earthworkshealth.com"

The ebay site is their ebay store from where I bought it.

The Perma Guard website says this about their fresh water fossil shell flour:
"Our deposit has 89 - 95 percent amorphous silica content."

There are two types of silica too (so not all silica is dangerous)

"Amorphous silica is silica in it's natural occurring state. It is a trace mineral every mammal on the planet needs to live. It becomes crystalline when it is exposed to extreme heat through volcanic activity or commercial manufacturing means. The type of diatomaceous earth used in swimming pool, and other, filtration systems is crystalline silica. Crystalline silica is extremely dangerous when inhaled or ingested. It is not biodegradable."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there an actual silica free DE? On one site, it claimed that the silica rate for their DE was less than 0.5%.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DE is not a safe product to use in your home around your family or pets! Read the links others have provided carefully, self explanatory. Definitely don't by something from your local hardware store!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cheylink

DE is not a safe product to use in your home around your family or pets! Read the links others have provided carefully, self explanatory. Definitely don't by something from your local hardware store!
I have no idea why you would post such a thing. DE is safer than chemical products and farmers have been adding it to the feed for their animals for years. As long as you get human/food grade it is an excellent product.

You can get safe DE from some garden centres - that's where I got mine. Mine is under the product label of ChemFree.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

We haveant problem ad I tried everyones advice but nothing worked so we have a exterminator now.
We do not let him spray inside because the cats and my asthma.
Did that solve your ant problem?
I think you have the right idea, honestly. My yard is terrible. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is working. We've been cutting down and removing trees because they're infested with ants, there are ants under/in the shop building foundation, in the yard, and very likely under our house as well.

There are at least three different types of ants out there... Though it's just the tiny black ones that are problematic inside. The rest are troublesome if you're outside in the yard or want to sit on the deck.

I don't know about DH, but I'm about ready to throw in the towel and call a professional. At least their work will be guaranteed and they'll have to come back out if the first round of spraying doesn't work.

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

It feels like a fine talc to us humans but is like shards of sharp glass to insects, cuts their exoskeleton and they die.
I find ants to be a nuisance as much as anyone, but reading that actually made me feel sorry for the little buggers!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Keycube

I find ants to be a nuisance as much as anyone, but reading that actually made me feel sorry for the little buggers!
I'll send all of mine over to you then so they won't have to be killed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wrote the St. Gabriel's website and received this reply today:

Good morning,
Our product Ant Eater is 100% Diatomaceous Earth. The amount of
Crystalline silica is >0.1% our product is food grade.

It's on sale for $4.99 for 3oz at my hardware store. The price is not as good as online but I won't have to pay for the shipping which can be substantial for a pound or two of this stuff.