Kids Too "enthusiastic" About Kittens.

Lanikoa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When we first adopted two kittens (6 weeks old) from a litter of strays they were very outgoing and friendly. My two boys (5&7) are so excited to have the kittens but get a little excessive with thier attention. To the point that the boy has occasionally peed in the kids playroom, maybe for revenge? We had older cats when the boys were born but those kitties have since passed. Silly me figured we knew how to handle kittens.The female gets the brunt of it because she is so soft and fluffy. We have had them now for about 4 weeks and they have become less social. They don't even want my husband and I to pet them anymore. They will still come sit near or on us but leave if we pet. We have set some more strict ground rules for the kids in order to earn the kittens trust back. Things like, the boys can't pick up or hold the cats, if cats are in their cage (3tier kennel) area they are not bothered, no running after the cats to give them love (let them come to us). Unfortunately trying to keep two young boys calm and quiet isn't the easiest task. Its really hard for them resist trying to pet the kittens. What else can we do to earn the kittens trust back? They were so lovie before but now they act more standoffish than when they were feral.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like time and space is the most important. How much vertical space do the kitties have? Having cat shelves on the wall and tall cat furniture to create a "cat superhighway" will allow them to be out and about but not within reach of overly-exuberant kids. Might help build up their confidence again.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also not allowing the kids in your room should help. Then make it the kitty room. That way they can escape from the little hands when they want.

I would explain it like this. "You wouldn't like it if we hugged you all the time or carried you around all day, when all you wanted to mainly do is play, would you? They just want to play. Do you want to play with them? Here is a feather wand and a stuffed kitty toy you can hug anytime."

RufusGizmo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
about the peeing too, was the cat playing when he peed? kitties have very small bladders, and sometimes if they are not close enough to a litter box, they can forget and by the time realize they have to go it is too late.

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you ever hear the story of the little boy and the turtle? Probably not and I don't think you can even get little turtles anymore anyway.
But the story goes-- the parents bought their little boy a small turtle from a pet store. The first one died within a week and they took it back for a replacement. Te pet store had a replacement policy so they let the boy pick out another. In another week they were back again for yet another replacement. The store people were concerned. The boy picked out yet another and they asked him to show them how he played with it. The boy promptly sat on the floor, took the turtle and revved it up like a hot wheels car complete with the VROOOM , VROOOM and slid it at high speed across the floor into the wall.
So check the kittens paws for burn marks. VROOOMM. With kids you never know.

Since kittens need to sleep a lot you might establish a nap rule. If they are sleeping they have to be left alone because kittens and kids need to nap a lot. They should understand that.
By the way, kittens pee from freight so they could be afraid. If their mom was around she might have come to their defense and boxed a few fingers. You could explain that to the boys also, their mom would be mad at them for hurting her kittens.
I know kittens and kids seems like such a good match but they really do need a mean mom to intervene when play gets to rough.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think cat shelves were invented by someone who had cats and little kids. That way the cats can be up high safe from little grabby hands ;)
I know it may seem harmless now but 6 months from now you may end up with a cat or two drawing blood to escape the little kids and tell the little kids no when they are not listening to the cats no.
My mom banned me from her room when I was a wee terrorist chasing down the cats, dressing them in doll clothes and generally harassing the poor cats. Trust me the kids are probably in the wrong. It is a great teaching moment to teach your kids to respect animals and to start speaking cats.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So check the kittens paws for burn marks. VROOOMM. With kids you never know.
In short, always supervise the kids when they are playing with the kittens. If the kittens get fussy / cranky / start biting / etc, it's time to put them into their safe room so they can relax. Then give the kids something to do, maybe an outdoor activity everyone can enjoy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lanikoa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_20180524_202407.jpg
We do have a large cat tree that is about 72 inches tall. The kittens do use it but also sleep under our bed, on our bed, under the couch, on the couch, and in the playroom. Today I put a litter box, food and water upstairs. My kids are early risers and typically go down to watch tv. The cats room is also downstairs past the living area/playroom. The kittens have to go past them to eat or use the little box. Since my kids aren't really allowed upsaiups during the day (too many electronics for the littles), I figured haveing a kitty station upstairs gives them another level of security. My plan is to give the boys the task of filling up food/water every night as their way to help take care of pets. Also the cats getting food from the kids might help them to trust too.

Lanikoa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We do have a large cat tree that is about 72 inches tall. The kittens do use it but also sleep under our bed during the day. Today I put a litter box, food and water upstairs. My kids are early risers and typically go down to watch tv. The cats room is also downstairs past the living area/ playroom. The kittens have to go past them. Since my kids aren't allowed upstairs during the day (too many electronics for the littles), I figured haveing a kitty station upstairs gives them another level of security. My plan is to give the boys the task of filling up food/water every night as their way to help take care of pets. Also the cats getting food from the kids might help them to trust too.
about the peeing too, was the cat playing when he peed? kitties have very small bladders, and sometimes if they are not close enough to a litter box, they can forget and by the time realize they have to go it is too late.

Lanikoa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As to the peeing we are pretty sure it was from being scared. My youngest said it happened while he was "tickling" the kittens belly. We explained that while we understand he wasn't trying to be mean, he did scare the kittens pretty badly. A lot of the troubles started when summer hit. Both boys are home a lot more and there isn't much quiet to be had.