Kids brought me 5 newborn kittens. I returned them, but

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:)

Thank you for your support. !!!! 

I think I should treat the mom with Advantage II today, if she allows me to. How long should I monitor the kittens so they don't get close to her neck? That will be a little tough to do if it's more than a couple of hrs, although they mainly sleep. 

Maybe the Drontal for the mom can wait or are both treatments a must do asap? 

She looks healthy, but haven't had a chance to inspect for fleas. Hopefully I won't have an infestation :) 

Oh these cats.. I am over my head, but thanks to all of you I am managing :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Go ahead with the Advantage today. The deeeper into her fur you apply it the better. Just keep an eye out. It will be fine. They are not newborns.

Give the Drontal anytime in the next day or two at your convenience. She'll need another one 2 weeks from the day you give it.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, fleas can cause big trouble for little ones, anemia and can actually kill them. Treat mom directly on her scruff skin, parting the fur, it won't take long for it to distribute through her body. Even a half hour of keeping the kiddles away should be fine.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
got it! 

Since I am using a syringe I placed the tip directly into the skin and squeezed it against the skin. I cleaned some excess that wicked to the fur fearing it was just running off. In any case she got .8ml. :) 

She is wonderful and will be such a joy to have!! 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

got it! 

Since I am using a syringe I placed the tip directly into the skin and squeezed it against the skin. I cleaned some excess that wicked to the fur fearing it was just running off. In any case she got .8ml. :) 

She is wonderful and will be such a joy to have!! 
Perfect!!

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Aww! Love the pics!

My opinion, she is not a true RB, maybe RB mix, or maybe just a beautiful girl! 

Def have a black/white dad! 

Crusty is a doll showing his tummy like that!

FIV through mating can only happen if the male bites down on the females scruff when attempting to hold, and bites too hard drawing blood, which can happen but it is not from mating alone and is not considered to be a risk.

The best news is, whether he is the dad here, or even if she were positive, FIV does not cross the placenta and infect the babies.

It is quite rare for babies to acquire FIV from mom, even if she were positive, the babies MAY test positive for their first couple/few months, but that is only due to her maternal antibodies still present in their systems.

Kittens testing positive should always be retested after they are 4+ months.

So no worries there :)
Well, this answers the question I asked in the other thread about this cat.  If I was near Florida, I would love to adopt her, but I'm in Missouri and definitely can't afford a trip down there.  It's always easy to find homes for kittens, but adult cats aren't always so lucky.

tsukiyomi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww the little black and white one really reminds me of Vincent when he was tiny (and even now really lol) so cute.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is doing really well!! Made friends with my indoor male (not without putting him in his place with a few slaps here and there when he was too close. I almost died laughing, he just stood there confused and owned)

The kittens are more active and come out of the cage a bit.

They are curious about her food, but only 1 is actually eating a little bit and also pooping this diminutive stools :) 

Take a look at some cuteness!! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They are so cute! I love the picture of the baby trying to nurse while mom is standing up!

So glad mom is getting along with your male cat too! She looks like a rail next to his well-fed frame! He is handsome! Babies are just adorable!

Thank you so much for fostering them! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Last edited:

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't begin to tell you how this post made my day, what a kind beautiful person you are for saving these cuties. I hope karma smiles down on you for the love you have shown this little family 

Alicia88

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She must be such a good mama.  Those little ones are so fat and healthy!  And she's so beautiful.

As was mentioned above, you're an amazing person for doing so much to help local cats.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of the kittens vomited and there was a long white worm curled up and moving slowly. 

I thought they were too young to treat, but this may be a sign that it is time? They are now about 5 weeks old. 

I have Biheldon (Praziquantel 50mg and Pyrantel Pamoate 150g tablets) that I bought on ebay in order to give to the 5 adult cats I care for and hope I could give to the kittens too.

However these are tablets and the kittens do not eat that much kibble yet so should I mix it in liquid and put directly in their mouth? Suggestions on this are much appreciated.  

The Instructions that came with the tablets state that kittens should NOT be treated until 8 weeks old or they weigh at least 1.5lbs. 

For less than 5lbs they suggest 1/4 tablet, so maybe 1/2 of a 1/4 tablet per kitten would do?

Thanks for your input.

lurkysmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I personally would cut a 1/4 tab into thirds, cruch it up and put it in either their milk (kmr) or sprinkle it on individual servings of wet food bit that's just me and i really have no experience with that sort of thing. Perhaps Sarthur2 Sarthur2 will have a better insight than me.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

One of the kittens vomited and there was a long white worm curled up and moving slowly. 

I thought they were too young to treat, but this may be a sign that it is time? They are now about 5 weeks old. 

I have Biheldon (Praziquantel 50mg and Pyrantel Pamoate 150g tablets) that I bought on ebay in order to give to the 5 adult cats I care for and hope I could give to the kittens too.

However these are tablets and the kittens do not eat that much kibble yet so should I mix it in liquid and put directly in their mouth? Suggestions on this are much appreciated.  

The Instructions that came with the tablets state that kittens should NOT be treated until 8 weeks old or they weigh at least 1.5lbs. 

For less than 5lbs they suggest 1/4 tablet, so maybe 1/2 of a 1/4 tablet per kitten would do?

Thanks for your input.
I think 5 weeks is too young to be treated with praziquantel, but should be treated with pyrantel ASAP.

This is roundworms and vomiting one means a good sized infestation going on already.

Treatment will need to be repeated every 2 weeks for several weeks consecutively to effectively get rid of them now.

If this goes untreated they can get in to the lungs too.

Pyrantel is very mild yet works very well as long as it is followed up with repeated dosing. No prescription needed but unless you can see a vet for some it needs to be ordered online.

It is not carried in pet stores.

savethekitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I think 5 weeks is too young to be treated with praziquantel, but should be treated with pyrantel ASAP.

This is roundworms and vomiting one means a good sized infestation going on already.

Treatment will need to be repeated every 2 weeks for several weeks consecutively to effectively get rid of them now.

If this goes untreated they can get in to the lungs too.

Pyrantel is very mild yet works very well as long as it is followed up with repeated dosing. No prescription needed but unless you can see a vet for some it needs to be ordered online.

It is not carried in pet stores.
Hi!! 

Amazon can get Nemex2 here by Thursday. I'm not sure whether this is considered emergency or it can wait until thursday/friday. 

Also, should I treat mom again? She was given Drontal 2 weeks ago and Advantage II. This time she'd get Biheldon. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi!! 

Amazon can get Nemex2 here by Thursday. I'm not sure whether this is considered emergency or it can wait until thursday/friday. 

Also, should I treat mom again? She was given Drontal 2 weeks ago and Advantage II. This time she'd get Biheldon. 
Yes I would re-treat mom.

Kittens will need drontal once they are a bit bigger too, fleas will cause tapeworm by then, but too young for a tapeworm to be grown yet, roundworms are pretty bad if one was vomited up so the sooner the better.

3 days wait should be okay.