Kids....am I over reacting??

firsttimeowner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i could never ever ever ever ever be a parent i have zero pataince i see shows like 911.and wanna run to drget vacesmety

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't think you are not over reacting. I don't have kids for a reason because I have zero tolerance for them. I've given up friendships with people that bring their uncontrolled kids into my house.

Family is another more delicate matter. I remember taking a dart toy away from a nephew who was walking up to people and shooting it directly at their face (he was about 4). The first warning to him was to stop or I would take it away from him. The second shot prompted me to take it from him. He went crying to my sister who told me (not asked me) to give it back to him. So here is an adult correcting another adult who is disciplining for safety reasons. What did the kid learn? I had to tell my sister off that time - family member or not, some things are just non-negotiable.

It's your house and your rules. If the adults can't respect those rules, they don't need to visit (just my humble opinion).

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friends know, my house, my rules, and when your kids are in my house, they are mine. If you want something to eat or drink, just ask, I will be glad to get it for you or tell you where it is, depending on age. If you harrass my cats, you will get a spanking, if you bother my stuff, you will be asked once to stop. Then you will get a spanking. If mom does not like it, SHE will get a spanking. Surprisingly enough, most of my friend's kids like me, and will behave at my house when they will not behave anywhere else.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

My friends know, my house, my rules, and when your kids are in my house, they are mine. If you want something to eat or drink, just ask, I will be glad to get it for you or tell you where it is, depending on age. If you harrass my cats, you will get a spanking, if you bother my stuff, you will be asked once to stop. Then you will get a spanking. If mom does not like it, SHE will get a spanking. Surprisingly enough, most of my friend's kids like me, and will behave at my house when they will not behave anywhere else.
Are you kidding?????

I would NEVER allow another person to hit my child....spank or whatever you want to call it. I don't care what or how wrong the action my child is doing/did, that is WAYYYYY crossing the line. I don't believe that it is anyones but the parent's right to discipline their child and if they are not, then one should ask them to leave, not take matters into their own hands.

My parents and my inlaws believe in "spanking" and I told them that if they ever laid a finger on my son, then they would never see him again. I also make sure my son behaves as much as possible, and when he doesn't he gets a time out. We were just at the in laws for 5 days and he got about 4 time outs, which I think is pretty good considering he's only just turned 4 years old.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

...I would NEVER allow another person to hit my child....spank or whatever you want to call it....
Absolutely right! No one is allowed to touch another person without permission.

I do believe, however, that adults have a responsibility to correct children by telling them gently what is expected of them, if they are acting inappropriately and the parent or caretaker is saying nothing.

furry4fury

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

Just for the record...you've never actually had to Spank a child or parent for that matter have you?

I'm liking the duct tape idea more and more though

When it comes to kids it up to the parents, but sometimes having another adult put their foot down works better. I have a really good friend who's daughter calls me aunty. This child has been spoiled by grandma, grandpa and mom. When she comes to my house I've made it VERY clear tantrums and destruction of my property is UNACCEPTABLE...I'm firm and don't budge. I've actually picked her up off the floor during a tantrum and placed her in my stepdaughters bed and told her she is not coming out until she's ready to behave. She screams her fool head off behind a closed door for about 10 min and when no one comes she calms down and is out with in 20 min of being put in the room.
I think it comes down to what exactly the kids are doing and what are the parents doing about it. And what are you willing to accept and not.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furry4fury

When it comes to kids it up to the parents, but sometimes having another adult put their foot down works better. I have a really good friend who's daughter calls me aunty. This child has been spoiled by grandma, grandpa and mom. When she comes to my house I've made it VERY clear tantrums and destruction of my property is UNACCEPTABLE...I'm firm and don't budge. I've actually picked her up off the floor during a tantrum and placed her in my stepdaughters bed and told her she is not coming out until she's ready to behave. She screams her fool head off behind a closed door for about 10 min and when no one comes she calms down and is out with in 20 min of being put in the room.
I think it comes down to what exactly the kids are doing and what are the parents doing about it. And what are you willing to accept and not.
that sums my views up nicely. Alot of the times the kids only act that way in front of their parents.... my nephew is that way, to get his Momma's attention...if she's not there, he is perfect. Now my other nephew is a terror. He is allowed to run & jump in his own home so he thinks he can do it anywhere.... now, I only see him once every 2-3 months, so it's hard. If I hollered/disciplined/corrected him on every thing he did wrong, that would be our only communication!
The last time he stayed for 2 nights, he was jumping through my house like Tigger, my freakin' Lennox wine glasses were shaking in my wine cabinet....needless to say I had to take an atavan by the time he left!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I have never actually had to do more than grab a little hand out of immediate danger that their mother put them in by leaving a lit cigarette where he could grab it . Kids seem to believe me when I tell them the rules and consequences. I am not mean about it, but I do make sure they understand. Some of them seem to enjoy being trusted to obey the rules. When I had a pool in my yard a lot of my friends came over and if we did not lay down the ground rules immediately, it got chaotic, and possibly dangerous.

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

Absolutely right! No one is allowed to touch another person without permission.

I do believe, however, that adults have a responsibility to correct children by telling them gently what is expected of them, if they are acting inappropriately and the parent or caretaker is saying nothing.
I agree with you as well!

I definately think that people should have communicated rules between the parents and other adult's who they're visiting and then relay those rules to the children. I think it's all about what you are comfortable with. I just would not be comfortable with someone else stepping in to discipline my child with more than a gentle correction. I would feel comfortable with something like this: ie. Telaryn that behavior is not acceptable. Please stop now. You can play with this instead. Any thing more than this is too much IMO.