kidneys

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well..my tortoiseshell is sick.Went to the old vet and he showed me her labs.

Bad BUN,creatinine and bun/crea ratio.

He said  its an infection due elevated white blood count.

So he sold me the low protein food,she licks it and walk away.

Any suggestions  what to feed?Or how??Low protein??

Her symptoms were...Drinking a lot of water.Peeing next to or over the side of box.

She laid under my bed and back legs got wobbly.

Finally,she stopped eating,had trouble walking.

He did exam and said 4 potentials..

1-kidney infection

2-kidney damage

3-diabetes

4-liver damage

We are one of the lucky ones..he gave her a shot,oral antibiotics,low protein food-no kibbles and come back in one week

she is not eating

I love old doctors..better at diagnosing to me-less trying to upsell expensive tests

Prayer..."come on Cookie ,sweet pea...your not ready yet...God can I keep her for awhile such a gift..if its your will???In Jesus name Amen

What can a cat take for pain???Not Tylenol,right???

You guys are the bomb,the best,a blessing to anyone sitting at home cryin over a sick pet.

And your feral and behavior columns are history,a composium of experience in one place--like a library!!!!

Enough ---I'm going to buy some baby food because a learned elder on the cat site had tried it before.

Thanx

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that you and your kitty are having a hard time. I hope someone will be along to help you shortly. I just wanted to chime in to say that human painkillers, including Tylenol, are definitely NOT safe for cats. I'm sure your vet can prescribe something if you think she's in pain. Best of luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
 Thank you both.

I forgot the doc gave cookie 250ml lactated ringers and her platelet count wasdown.

I gave her a small amount of baby food (turkey/rice) with syringe.

Shes had it for now(not declawed)

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you LTS3,that information was exactly what I needed.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you happen to have the blood results from the labs? Curious how high the creatinine and other levels were. Is the vet having you give her subcutaneous fluids at home by chance?

I think I was very lucky with my vet. Not older, but not pushy with the tests either. We often talk things out and if we decide we wouldn't do anything different, regardless of results, then no point in doing the test.

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
he wanted her back in one week,so we went.

I saw the labs and all I can remember is an elevated BUN and creatinine,and the ratio.Also electrolytes were normal,must be early days.

He said her anemia was worse and he expects that with kidney patients.

So trip 2 -250ml sq fluids,2 shots(which he didn't charge me for),another bottle of antibiotics and pill called mirtazapine for appetite

cause she had quit eating altogether.

She is some better,he said the BUN had come down and fluids is the most important thing for kidney cat.Gave up on prescription K/D.

Went and got some commercial food off the list and she is eating some.

Thanks

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well..my tortoiseshell is sick.Went to the old vet and he showed me her labs.

Bad BUN,creatinine and bun/crea ratio.

He said its an infection due elevated white blood count.

So he sold me the low protein food,she licks it and walk away.

Any suggestions what to feed?Or how??Low protein??

Her symptoms were...Drinking a lot of water.Peeing next to or over the side of box.

She laid under my bed and back legs got wobbly.

Finally,she stopped eating,had trouble walking.

He did exam and said 4 potentials..

1-kidney infection

2-kidney damage

3-diabetes

4-liver damage

We are one of the lucky ones..he gave her a shot,oral antibiotics,low protein food-no kibbles and come back in one week

she is not eating

I love old doctors..better at diagnosing to me-less trying to upsell expensive tests

Prayer..."come on Cookie ,sweet pea...your not ready yet...God can I keep her for awhile such a gift..if its your will???In Jesus name Amen

What can a cat take for pain???Not Tylenol,right???

You guys are the bomb,the best,a blessing to anyone sitting at home cryin over a sick pet.

And your feral and behavior columns are history,a composium of experience in one place--like a library!!!!

Enough ---I'm going to buy some baby food because a learned elder on the cat site had tried it before.

Thanx

smokem

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cookie has taken the Rainbow Bridge.Died in my arms the meds didn't help.She will be missed.Had a good life and vet said new vet info says drinking water is the most important factor.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry. Yes the conventional wisdom has changed and water is very important. They also now go with low phosphorous food rather then low protein.