Kidney Question

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So my 15 year old cat has been having an issue with lameness in a leg. It came on rather suddenly. So I went back and l looked at his last check up Feb 2020. My memory of his health apparently wasn't quite accurate. I thought his kidneys were in good shape. But it says (with regard to the X-rays)

Irregular renal marginalization (bilateral) is suggestive of chronic degeneration
Later it goes on to say that the kidneys are normal sized - but have irregular margins. Now I thought he was in good shape because his labs and urine came back imho good.

BUN was 20 - above 32 is abnormal, Creatine was 1.6 - above 1.8 is abnormal (and this isn't crazy as he was seen due to throwing up and diarrhea). specific gravity was 1.032 (highest value is 1.060)
So I remembered that the vet thought my cat had renal failure at 3 (he is 15 now) but I disagreed and all his labs were normal. They never would tell me why they thought he had kidney disease.

Could it be that my cat simply has naturally weird looking kidneys?

It matters because of the leg seeming to have issues (I have seen issues with leg weakness with kidneys disease) but I honestly don't think that can be the case... I had a cat once that had kidney issues and I don't see any of the hallmarks of it (full litter box) / drinking all the time. And I feed him wet food with plenty of water. I would assume serious kidney issues would have to be present to be effecting a leg.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my 15 year old cat has been having an issue with lameness in a leg. It came on rather suddenly. So I went back and l looked at his last check up Feb 2020. My memory of his health apparently wasn't quite accurate. I thought his kidneys were in good shape. But it says (with regard to the X-rays)

Later it goes on to say that the kidneys are normal sized - but have irregular margins. Now I thought he was in good shape because his labs and urine came back imho good.

So I remembered that the vet thought my cat had renal failure at 3 (he is 15 now) but I disagreed and all his labs were normal. They never would tell me why they thought he had kidney disease.

Could it be that my cat simply has naturally weird looking kidneys?

It matters because of the leg seeming to have issues (I have seen issues with leg weakness with kidneys disease) but I honestly don't think that can be the case... I had a cat once that had kidney issues and I don't see any of the hallmarks of it (full litter box) / drinking all the time. And I feed him wet food with plenty of water. I would assume serious kidney issues would have to be present to be effecting a leg.
I do not know about this, as I am not a vet or an expert; but my sweet angel Moti, who was diagnosed with CRF, did not have any mobility issues. Each individual IS a unique individual, though, and if you are feeling uncertain, I would recommend a second opinion just to be sure, if possible.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds to me as if his "irregular renal marginalization" could actually be something he's had is entire life, and possibly that's why he was diagnosed when he was 3 with kidney failure. Sound plausible anyway. And with his bloodwork coming in so stellar, and your Vet not SAYING anything about kidney disease and talking about next steps, that's just more indication that he doesn't have it (to me anyway)

Leg weakness with kidney disease is usually from low potassium and effects both back legs, doesn't normally cause lameness in one leg. At his age, he may have pulled a muscle or sprained something trying to make a bigger than usual jump. Has it been going on for quite some time now? Might be worth a Vet visit if so for a "look see"

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mommytobuck

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me as if his "irregular renal marginalization" could actually be something he's had is entire life, and possibly that's why he was diagnosed when he was 3 with kidney failure. Sound plausible anyway. And with his bloodwork coming in so stellar, and your Vet not SAYING anything about kidney disease and talking about next steps, that's just more indication that he doesn't have it (to me anyway)Leg weakness with kidney disease is usually from low potassium and effects both back legs, doesn't normally cause lameness in one leg. At his age, he may have pulled a muscle or sprained something trying to make a bigger than usual jump. Has it been going on for quite some time now? Might be worth a Vet visit if so for a "look see"
Great answer thank you. My first cat that had kidney problems never had any issues walking. I agree it doesn't sound like Kidney issues. Based primarily on the fact that they did say his kidney's were normal sized - but even if irregular. Because of the "faux" diagnosis when he was young I have been very careful to give him wet food, water, and sometimes K/D food just to be sure.

My vet gave me a medication for the lameness that is an anti inflammatory but I am hesitant to give it because it could cause Kidney issues.. it also seems like maybe that isn't the issue if it is one leg.

At the moment my strategy is having my cat lose weight. He is 16 lbs and I am hoping if I can get him down some the lameness in one leg could heal.