Kidney Diet

LuckySimonsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can anyone give me a list of cat foods that are acceptable for cats with kidney issues or disease besides prescription cat foods. Thank you..

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I do think it would be very helpful to check out the entire site mentioned above, but it is a lot of information and has to be taken in bits and pieces in order to 'absorb' it all. Therefore, you could start with this section - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview (felinecrf.org). It will talk about things to consider in a diet, and then goes on to provide a table listing of non-prescription foods that are lower in phosphorus, which is a big issue with CKD cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuckySimonsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do think it would be very helpful to check out the entire site mentioned above, but it is a lot of information and has to be taken in bits and pieces in order to 'absorb' it all. Therefore, you could start with this section - Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Diet and Nutrition Overview (felinecrf.org). It will talk about things to consider in a diet, and then goes on to provide a table listing of non-prescription foods that are lower in phosphorus, which is a big issue with CKD cats.
This is all brand new to me and I definitely plan on reading that in its entirety I was hoping somebody could throw out a few brand names real quick for the time being
I'm getting ready to run to the store real quick and I was hoping someone could give me just a few ideas for right now

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I understand your sense of urgency, but not knowing what is available in your area vs. what is in the list makes it virtually impossible to advise you of what you may or may not be able to find. I am basing this on the fact that half of the foods listed on the site above are not even available in my area. I wish I was able to do what you ask, but I cannot.

Maybe if you go to a pet store one of the employees can advise you of lower phosphorus foods to start with? You can't get even that type of help in a grocery store, trust me.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's a list of canned foods here: https://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm#canned_usa