Kicking cats love of people food?

elizabeth79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Bones is a 2-3 year old long haired tabby mix that survived most of her life with her human, a homeless woman. The woman sadly passed away leaving Bones unable to care for herself properly. When she came to us she was skin and bones, hence how she got her name. She seemed to have forgotten normal cat behaviors because she was the only thing her human had. One of her biggest issues is the fact that she has to be close at all times. She's always in someone's arms, or under someone's feet. She also loves to clean you, and at night she puts her face against your nose numerous times. The vet suggests she is making sure you are still breathing. If you cover your face she throws a fit, digging the blanket and crying. The problem we are unable to kick however is the fact that she refuses to eat cat food. She will nibble, but that is it. Her main meal is your meal and she will do anything to get it.
When we are not home she gets in the cupboards, its insane! She's been vetted, wormed, etc and is healthy..but her love for human food is insane. We have to watch what she sees us with because she will devour things harmful to her tiny body. She ate half a granola bar and a piece of lettuce she pawed from my bowl...and yesterday she ate bread from the cupboard without anyone being home.
Can anyone offer any advice to help kick her habit? We've made her chicken and rice, etc...and she will eat it..but if you have something watch out. I know her mama fed her well, but now she has to get on her own meals lol! She even digs open the crockpot and ate our dinner that was cooling! Thank you in advance!

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a very smart and determined kitty. :lol3: You may want to lock her up when you are eating, just until she loses interest.

What are you feeding her? If you can afford some of the natural, refrigerated foods that are out there she may start eating. There are a lot of wonderful threads here on cat nutrition, and I'm sure one of the more knowledgable posters could help as well.

Your kitty has a lot of quirks that suited her well on the street and will take some time for her to get past. She will come to understand her new habitat but may always carry a piece of the streets with her. It sounds like the homeless woman did an amazing job of caring for her the best she could. :heart:

lokilove

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also that weruva stuff looks waaaay too human for my cat. Looks like shredded chicken in gravy. Might be worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

elizabeth79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys! I will look into it to see what I can fit into my budget and is also healthy for her and the other babies! :)