Kickeroo Magic???

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After hearing about them so often I bought one for my cats. They were all over it. Now they are kinda ignoring it after a day. I think long term Salem might like it... however I was wondering about what I could do to hold that catnip loving smell. Should I try catnip spray? Buy 2 & seel 1 in a bag with catnip for 2-8 weeks (like I do with some of their toys already.) What would work best?

Also I might try tying a suede cord around it's middle to make it more interactive .. so I can tug it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
however I was wondering about what I could do to hold that catnip loving smell
heh. you can't. I've tried spray, putting a couple toys in a bag with fresh 'nip and sealing that...pretty much got a blah reaction. they know about all these things. They basically are saying you need to get more , as in more new toys

But seriously, you can certainly try. I like the cord idea, myself.
I did find a website that sells retro and classic cat toys, and I can pick up bags full of real fur mice, which somewhat takes care of the "no, no, I need a NEW one" LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm I might magiver a Velcro opening into the side, remove a small amount of stuffing and put a little baggie of catnip in a paper towel or coffee filter or thin mesh fabric baggie I sew just to hold the catnip or something like that.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... however I was wondering about what I could do to hold that catnip loving smell. ...
heh. you can't. ...

Not true! I've found the answer, at least in my house! You can certainly "renew" such catnip toys for further playtime.

If it's a cloth catnip toy, I just slightly dampen with water some or most of the catnip pillow or kickaroo... then toss it in front of Milly's nose, and voila! it comes alive again. She's all over it.

P.S.- another thing I do is what I call "tenderizing" it, lol. I take a rock or the base of a bowl and pound on the length of the kickaroo to "recharge" and break down the interior catnip. That works for Milly, too.

Last edited:

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've had some luck with the catnip spray (spray into it not just on it) and also rubbing them with fresh ground catnip (I grow my own catnip). I also throw them through the wash and oddly enough sometimes just having a clean kickeroo seems to make it new again, or it could be I wash them with other catnip toys and the scent transfers :think:. My cats go through cycles though, so I put the kickeroos away for awhile, when I put them out again they are interesting again. I think I need to just give them time to forget about them, lol.

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well they're like kids, they get a new toy and after a day it's no longer new. My cats loved the kicker toy but didn't play with it every single day. They will come back around to it.
I usually get a large baggie and throw toys in there, zip it shut for a few days, and put the toys back out. That always worked for my cats. A catnip spray sounds sort of artificial, if you know what I mean.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually only have to toss out catnip pillow or kickie toys when they've gotten holes chewed into them. I spend some time resewing the holes closed but, after a while, the catnip toys have obviously had their day. My cat likes to gnaw on them. This was Milly stoned on a kickaroo she got for her first Christmas. I don't know what kind of catnip was in it, but it was gooood (a gift from family member who ran a rescue for years)-

another TCS video embed!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Timmer Timmer regarding the spray, yeah, the Big Guy sure never went for the brand I purchased, and I didn't followup with testing any other sprays.