Kibble suggestions - no duck, rice, egg...and more.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, what a terrific update. Way to go George! And kudos to you as well.

mysterylover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know this is kind of an old thread, but I am maybe looking for a dry without potatoes or grain, so this was helpful to me.  It was also interesting to see that a cat could have a "mild positive" on allergy testing to potatoes, since I have suspicions that is the issue with my cat's loose stools.  I don't think Innova dry food is talked about much on here, but the EVO 95% canned seems pretty popular.  The only difference I see between the Innova and the EVO dry is Innova Nature's Table has no fish, where the EVO grain free has Herring and Salmon meal.  It looks like EVO has turkey first and Innava has chicken first.  Anybody have any experience with either.  I know they are both made by Natura, but despite the P&G ownership, at least EVO is still getting some canned business.  I also was leaning toward the Innova because it is 42% protein and EVO is 50%, which seems like it might be too big a jump for my cat, even with slow transition from what is currently eating at 30%.  Orijen seems to be top of the line, the protein is 42%, but again it has fish.  I guess I am thinking it might be best to just see if the exclusion of potato helps with the loose stools.  Later, I could try to step up to Orijen if I can afford it.  Of course, my local smaller store might sample me that one.  Do you know if those smaller stores sometimes get samples?

Any thoughts are appreciated.  Thanks! 

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much for that suggestion, I've not heard of that food before so I will see if I can find it! 

If I can't find something he'll eat, I'm willing to bend on the ingredients. But after 10 weeks of strict food limitations I'm not willing to throw just anything at him if I don't have to, without investigating the ones that came up as potential allergens...we've come this far, I think doing my best to logically exit the food trial is the way to go...if George will let me. :lol3:

Peas is the one thing I'm adamant about, because it's been in his diet all long. I was floored to find so many foods contain peas...both dry and wet.

And high calorie is good! The food he has been eating is not calorically sufficient for a growing kitten who self regulates his daily intake. He needs a good half to one pound on his frame. I am anxious to get him onto better food....and dream of the day he's eating 100% wet. We'll get there....

Thanks again!
Too bad you cannot go all wet the issues would clear up

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

burkey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Too bad you cannot go all wet the issues would clear up
No, unfortunately in George's case, 100% wet definitely does not clear up his issues. His allergies are environmental (dust, mold, pollen).

When I started this thread 7 months ago, we had just had a full allergy panel run for George. The food results are known for being notoriously inaccurate, but with him just coming off a strict food trial, it was suggested to use the opportunity to add back flagged food items judiciously, to confirm whether or not any of the flagged items were an issue.

It ended up not mattering, as George chose to go 100% wet within just a couple weeks of being allowed "normal" food again. The food he was prescribed for the food trial was positively appalling, to both him and me... so my once kibble-addicted youngster was thrilled with any canned we threw at him once he was given the green-light.

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

No, unfortunately in George's case, 100% wet definitely does not clear up his issues. His allergies are environmental (dust, mold, pollen).

When I started this thread 7 months ago, we had just had a full allergy panel run for George. The food results are known for being notoriously inaccurate, but with him just coming off a strict food trial, it was suggested to use the opportunity to add back flagged food items judiciously, to confirm whether or not any of the flagged items were an issue.

It ended up not mattering, as George chose to go 100% wet within just a couple weeks of being allowed "normal" food again. The food he was prescribed for the food trial was positively appalling, to both him and me... so my once kibble-addicted youngster was thrilled with any canned we threw at him once he was given the green-light.
I can sympathize. My cat Tim actually got more sick after I transitioned him to all wet, due to thickeners and gums contained in most wet food. Once I figured that out and started eliminating those entirely, he finally got better.

I am glad to see that George is eating wet food. Hopefully he is doing well with what you're giving him.