Keller is a mess!

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I switched to a lower quality food for money reasons and now Keller's fur is a mess. She loves to be brushed which is good but that isn't working. Her hair almost looks dirty and clumps together, even after a good brushing. Could this all be diet related? She is normally fairly low maintenance but now requires several brushings a day. Is there something I can giver her, besides going back to our Wellness, that will help her fur stop matting and looking awful? She is so beautiful I just hate it!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could definitely be from a lower quality food that isn't right for her. There are a few health issues that could cause this too, like hypothyroidism, if you do wish to pursue making sure this is not health related.

What did you switch her to?

Some kitties will get drier skin from dry winter air, too. Plus winter means cats will have a bit more fur on them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to a mixture of the Wellness and Walmarts store brand and started feeding her cheap wet food. I have started back on Wellness canned and Wellness dry. Her winter coat is amazing, thick and long. That is part of the issue. I will try and post a picture of her later.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maxximuum Nutrition? As far as cheaper drys go, at least that one isn't too bad (no dyes). It was based off Purina One's old formula - no idea if it's been reformulated lately. (it wouldn't surprise me if it was)

That said, it's more grainy. Apparently that isn't good for her fur.

If you need to save a little money on wet foods there was this thread recently.

It may take a few weeks for Keller's coat to improve. Until then, brush more?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you add some fish oil?

Purina naturals is IMHO the best bet at walmart ... did you get Maxxium or special kitty?> Maxxium IMHO is a decent one also ...

Brushing is a great thing if shell allow

What cheaper wet did you get?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was buying Friskies because it was on sale. I just don't think it was worth it though, she just doesn't look as nice. She LOVES to be brushed so that is fine. I will try adding some fish oils. Here are a few pictures of her coat, not very good pictures

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, that was a big jump in ingredients.
Oh well, you did you best. You live, you learn.

And Keller is a major fluff ball! Even with decent food you're going to see winter shedding out of a fluffy kitty like that - and it will seem so much worse because white fur shows up on nearly everything.
I'm glad she loves brushing. I have one who tolerates combing but hates brushing.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try to find NO dye foods ... Friskies in wet and dry has them

For about the same price is the Natural s or Walmarts Maxxium for dry ... Fancy feast on sale is a better choice... I personally found cheaper wet without colors , flavors or grain at the grocery store... pets pride and western family are the names here./.. the latter has several no grain and no veggie varietys ... at my house at least coats improved over feeding " super Premium " brands