Keller and babies

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the only ones I can go by is little mans dad that was white with a grey spot on his head like Amys kitten and then little man is 10 mo old and has his cream spot still.........

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

What exactly does underlying color mean? Keller has the pinkest skin I have ever seen, no sign of color on her.
Hi,

the colour of the spot will reveal to you what colour your cat is, genetically speaking.

Cats have two colours only- red and black. All other colours are modifications of these colours. The dilution factor for example leads to an uneven distribution of black pigments in the hairs- thus making the fur seem gray as seen in Russian Blue cats. White is not a colour as such- it is the absence of colour.

The colours are found on the X chromosome, so a cat with XX can have two colours while a tom cat, XY, can only have one colour.

In a pure white cat the white colour is covering up the actual colour of the cat- if the spot on the head is gray the cat is genetically speaking black and has two copies of the dilution factor, making the black seem grey.

For some reason white cats are born showing their true colours on the back of their head. This colouration fades from 6 months onwards untill the spot is gone.

Christine

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AMYSCRAZY

Keller is named after Helen Keller. I think one of her white kittens will be Sullivan, after Anne Sullivan (Helens nanny/tutor).
All 3 white ones are boys and the little tabby is a girl. I think she has milk now. The kittens have gained almost 1/2 oz since 2 this afternoon. I haven't fed them since then.
Awwww! That would be such a cute name!

Glad to hear that Keller has her milk now- hand rearing kittens is soooo much work!
Congrats!