Keeping Outdoor-only Cat Safe

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all - new cat owner here, so go easy on me. Well, owner might be a bit of an exaggeration...

So, here's the situation: I've just moved temporarily to a farmhouse and picked up a stray. He's already warmed up to me and even handled his first vet exam like a champ. He's got a follow-up visit in a couple of weeks for more vaccinations and to get fixed (they think he's about three months old) but here's the catch: we're renting here and there are no pets allowed inside.

He's got food and shelter (he's safe in the shed or garage) but I can't take him inside at night, which has been scaring me to death. He leans heavily towards being nocturnal and I know he's out prowling through the cornfields every night, and this is most definitely coyote country - I can hear the howls from my bedroom. I've been trying to keep him more active during the day and feeding him as much as I can but it seems like instinct is really winning out here - he is nowhere to be found starting around midnight.

I keep telling myself, well, he's made it this far on his own, he can last a month or two until I leave and take him with me, but I know anything can happen between cars, dogs, coyotes, other cats... sneaking him in or fencing him in at night isn't an option, and it's really stressing me out. So, besides moving out ASAP (don't worry, I'm on it) does anybody have any ideas? If I could just get him to sleep at night, then maybe I could sleep, too.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
How wonderful that you have. A new friend! Does he have a name or phots yet?

Does locking him in the shed or garage count as bringing him in? Maybe you can do that, and leave him a litterbox, food water and toys.

And just a thought, what about those mobile chicken pens that people who have chickens use? Idk how secure those are or if they have tops ...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply - unfortunately neither are really seal-able. The shed is coyote-proof but not cat-proof. I could definitely cage him in at night if it came to that, but I suspect he would hate it and probably deter him from me. Still, if I start having panic attacks it might come to that!

Here's some pics - I've named him Ishra. It's hard to believe somebody abandoned this guy so young... also, DIY scratching post, very proud of that.

Attachments

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I would keep him in the garage 24-7!! Keep the cars outside, fill it with toys and boxes and structures for climbing and playing, and play with him often. With cats, having a lot of space is not that important, it's all about providing lots of enrichment! Hide his food in different places and feeder toys so he has to "hunt" for them! Use wand toys for interactive sessions that really get him worn out! Get a leash and harness and take him for walks to explore outdoors safely!

It will be an adjustment for him, but you have a huge advantage that he's only 3 months old, and he's going to adapt much more easily than if he was older. Plus kittens will play and amuse themselves with just about anything! The neutering is going to be crucial as well. This will curb his desire to roam long distances.

You are right to be concerned about the dangers of him roaming outside unsupervised. Coyotes, owls, hawks, eagles, dogs could snatch him in a second. Cats are hit by cars all the time. Other cats can get into fatal fights with him or transmit life-threatening diseases. Outdoor cats get so much exposure to ticks, fleas, worms, and other parasites...and he's only a kitten so his immune system isn't fully developed yet! Also kittens make mistakes constantly-that's how they learn and grow, by exploring everything possible, but outside on his own a mistake can easily lead to a tragedy. I wouldn't leave him outside on his own for a minute longer.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw about the garage and she'd not being cat proof-is there no way you can secure the holes with chicken wire or something similar? Or, do you have friends or family that would keep him in their basement or guest room for a couple of months?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would try all avenues before letting the cat roam outdoors. You could try talking to the landlord. I've rented from many places across the country that didn't allow pets or only allowed one (where I had two) or two (where I had three) and usually if you talk to them something can be worked out. Sometimes it's a pet fee which can feel a bit steep but even then I've negotiated it down to just having them take any damage out of the deposit when we move out.

However, some landlords won't budge. Especially if it's a huge real estate property management company. It doesn't hurt to ask though.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Mishaxhi and welcome to the forum !

I just saw something in your second picture of him that's ringing alarm bells for me....

It's about the kerchief around his neck...it looks super-cool...BUT: that can be a huge danger for him, especially as he wanders overnight without any supervision or monitoring. He could easily get caught up in something and, even if he didn't get choked, he could just be unable to free himself.....and, 'god only knows' where he goes, so you might never find him. And, do cats ever squeeze themselves through and into tight spaces!!!

There are 'breakaway collars'.....but, given his size and fragility, I don't know that I'd even use one.

And, that reminds me to suggest that you have him microchipped when he's neutered.

I will say this...he just takes my breath away!

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just saw about the garage and she'd not being cat proof-is there no way you can secure the holes with chicken wire or something similar?
I've attached some pictures of the shed - the garage is a no-go, but I spent the afternoon cleaning out the shed today (so that picture is AFTER extensive clearing... yeugh) and trying to figure out if it would be possible. I think it's definitely do-able, but my main concern is that he's not really comfortable being confined right now. He's hardly been indoors so far, even just the car/carrier for 20 minutes freaked him out a bit. Plus - you can see where I've already (lazily) boarded up a coyote-sized hole so that he could get in but a bigger animal couldn't. My fear is that I go through all the work of securing it, but he squeezes out somehow, and then if he gets chased back by something he can't get back in.

And, before anyone says it, I know it's a ratty place for any domesticated animal - I'm doing my best to make it safe. At least he can climb up there to hide, that's where he usually sleeps. Thinking about taking those dusty old things down and building him a nice, secure, bird-crap-free loft.

You could try talking to the landlord. I've rented from many places across the country that didn't allow pets or only allowed one (where I had two) or two (where I had three) and usually if you talk to them something can be worked out.
The full story - I just graduated college and I'm staying here with my parents while I look for a salary job. They're renting from a farmer who had a bigger house built down the street. And he's got this weird thing about pets - he doesn't even let his own dog in the house. And then, to top it off, my dad despises this cat for some reason, and tries to keep him out of the garage. It's a good consideration for when I move out, though (soon (fingers crossed)).

It's about the kerchief around his neck...it looks super-cool...BUT: that can be a huge danger for him, especially as he wanders overnight without any supervision or monitoring.
Good catch - they put that on him on the way out of the vet. Something about mommy pheromones to calm him down (and it worked, too, he napped the whole way home). He hated it once he woke up, it was just so cute I wanted to get a pic before I took it off! Actually, while I'm here, I guess I should ask about collars. I'm definitely thinking about the microchip when he gets fixed, but if there's any way I could get a safe, non-obtrusive collar for him, I'd like to, just so nobody thinks he's still a stray. Suggestions, or should I pass on that?

Thanks everyone for your replies, they've really got me thinking. Especially
Coyotes, owls, hawks, eagles, dogs could snatch him in a second. Cats are hit by cars all the time.
:/

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's a little heartbreaker! How cute!

It sounds like you are doing everything in your power to make him as safe as possible. You've already done a ton of work! While I think everyone agrees that it's not ideal to have him roam, you said it was only a month or two. Hopefully with all the care and attention you are providing, he will be safe until that time comes.

Good vibes your way! :vibes::vibes:

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah, yes boarding up every inch would be a task.

It's definitely hard when you don't have total control of your living situation. I feel for you there.

I would probably get something like this

Zampa Pet Folding Playpen

and then get him a leash and harness and spend as much time during the day with him on the leash and harness as possible. You could get a super long leash or rope and attach it to him so you could sit and let him roam about but still have him in your eye line and be able to reel him in when it's time to go "inside." Then zip him up in the play pen at night. He won't like it, but sometimes we have to do things our children won't like for their own good. You can ease the blow by giving him his favorite treat or toy only when he's in the pen (or however you end up containing him). Wearing him out during the day will also help him get on a schedule of sleeping at night, although admittedly it is a fight against their nocturnal instincts. But just like some people work night shifts and sleep during the day, cats can reverse their schedule too.

It's a good thing you're there to looking out for him! He is an adorable little boy. And from one millennial to another, good luck with the job hunt!

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Get him chipped as soon as possible. That way if he does get injured and someone finds him the vet or shelter will be able to contact you.

I think your "shed" is pretty glam. I won't post pictures of my shed. It's all cobwebs and old flower pots but I'm sure a cat would spend time in there. They don't mind stuff. Your job is to make it safe by removing any hazardous chemicals and items (nails, steel wool etc).

Since your holes are pretty big I'd only leave dry food out during the day and take it in at night so coyotes aren't attracted to the odor. Dry cat food is made to be stinky to entice cats. It'd be more ideal if you could fix the holes so nothing could get in and the cat couldn't get out but if it's just impossible to do and if you are able to, leave a second hole across from the first so if a predator is coming in one way the cat can leave through the second way.

He'll get over his confinement issues. He's still young. Hopefully you'll get your own place soon though while he's still so mentally malleable.

Finally yes, the time to talk with a landlord is when you are looking for a place. Negotiate it right in. Offer to pay a little extra a month- offer 50. Make sure you say he's a young healthy cat that is small and has been fixed so he shouldn't be making a mess in the apartment. Have a cute picture of the cat cuddled up in a cat bed to show the landlord. It's got to be an "awww" inspiring picture that will give the landlord the impression that your cat is calm, small and well behaved. I've used this tactic in the past with success a few times.

So, when you are hunting and all you see are adds saying no pets, go down face to face and inquire about getting the cat into the lease. Or if you already have some sort of physical or mental issue that could benefit from a therapy animal you could go that route too.

I'm glad you came on here and asked for help. You are doing the right thing for your little guy:)

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay - update time. Ishra got a little sick from something - he was lethargic, wouldn't eat, and had some awful diarrhea. But I took him to the vet this morning, got him some meds, and now he's doing much better.

So here's the thing - while he was sick I smuggled him inside and he slept with me. I think I'm just gonna try to take him inside at night and see if I can't flip his sleep schedule - he still has to be outdoors some of the time, as this space isn't big enough for him, but I think he'll be safer outside during the day rather than at night.

So I've got him in here with me tonight, but now that he's feeling better, he's in full hunter mode and doesn't want to stay. I brought a bunch of toys in, but I think that he's so used to the "real thing" that they don't really do much for him at this hour, when he's most active. There's only one toy that I can distract him with actively, but I can't keep it up all night... and his yowling at the door is really breaking my heart. It's got me worried about moving, too, and transitioning him to be inside all day.

I'm planning to go out tomorrow and get enough toys that he won't know what to do with himself, but I'm worried that nothing will be able to overcome his hunting instincts. Any tips?

Thanks for the advice so far, by the way. Here's an obligatory pic for ya.

Attachments

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
Our girl Olive just went nuts for a Da Bird furry attachment. It’s real fur and she was so excited. I actually had to detach it because she went so wild she was being tangled in the string.

Also, puzzle feeders might be good for him. This will take time but you can definitely be successful and he can be very happy inside only.

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Try to get some toys like wand toys

These make my cats go absolutely crazy and they sleep so well at night hahah

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, I'd just bring him inside. By the time the landlord gets on it, you'll be gone, not much he can do. Farm kittens rarely live long :/. And he's already gotten himself in trouble. And then he'll be fully transitioned by the time you move.

If you really think you can't get away with that, perhaps you can build something in the shed, or outside if the landlord would allow it. A basic structure made with 2 x 4s and welded fencing is easy to make and should be pretty affordable.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
M Mishaxhi - I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this thread since it's been a few weeks since you've been on. I had your thread marked to look at and weigh in on when I read it initially, but then it got pushed to the bottom of my emails and I lost track of it. What have you decided to do?

After seeing the pictures of Ishra - - I don't think I could let him out of my sight to even go to work! He's absofreakinglutely adorable!!!!

And I'm SO glad someone mentioned the bandana - - - he is absolutely adorable in it, but boy they can be deadly. Sadly, I have a friend who lost a kitten because he too was wearing a similar bandana after coming home from a shelter - - and my friend left for just 30--40 minutes to grocery shop, and came back to him hanging by the bandana off of a curtain rod. He'd jumped on top of a hutch, tried to climb across the curtain rod, obviously lost his balance, and when he fell, got caught on the rod. It was just awful. She was beside herself - - even more so as she was going to take the bandana off when she got home. So I've gotten hyper aware of them - - - it can just happen so fast. :( So glad to hear it was on just for a bit - - and a photoshoot. ;)

I SO hope you ended up bringing him inside. But I do understand that you're - to an extent - at your parents' mercy until you move out. Hopefully the move's coming soon. And you should really, truly, pat yourself on the back - - for hours! - - -you've done SO much for this little guy! It's so true -- I grew up on a farm, and I can state unequivocally that most barn cats have VERY short life spans. And coyotes are moving more into "human areas" (which I always feel funny saying since generally we as humans are generally the reasons wildlife - including coyotes - has been displaced and is being forced into smaller areas, often coming back to infringe on "human areas." Our neighborhood - despite being between a ravine about 2 blocks north and a large river maybe ½ a mile away - hasn't had coyotes until home building started to expand. Now we have coyotes coming and taking small dogs out of backyards in the middle of the night (why someone would leave one in the backyard without supervision astounds me anyway - - but of course I still feel sorry for the loss of their dog).

So hopefully you did bring him in! Try and talk to your dad (is he better if mom's around?) - and tell him how much this little one means to you, the lengths to which you've gone to try to keep him safe WITHOUT bringing him in as you desperately wanted to make your dad happy...but that it's becoming apparent it's not possible. Remind him it's for a VERY short time - - and that you'll do your best to keep him from having to interact too much with Ishra.

The toys suggested above are great ones. It's very hard to completely change his nocturnal ways (especially at his age). But wearing him out in a pre-bed ritual is definitely the best way to try - - and it should definitely help. Toy-wise, I have a few more to add - - - "Cat Dancer" keeps our foster kittens at it for ages:

(
It's literally a piece of piano wire with cardboard at the end, but every foster goes NUTS for it - - and Da Bird, which I saw was already recommended. The other things that always wears foster kittens out for us is this inexpensive track and ball - - they work at it for hours (the link's below, but it's called "Petmate Fat Cat Crazy Circle Interactive Cat Toy:

Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 1.21.00 AM.png

Ours (from foster babies to our very adult kitties) go after this toy without fail - - usually till they're worn out (and for some reason - - we've tried LOTS - - this is the one that works 99% of the time!

81PsmIl7UsL._SL1500_.jpg

So please keep us posted!!! We're rooting for you and Ishra - - you definitely found each other!!!!!

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey - thanks for the replies! I haven't stopped watching, just got auto-logged out so it wasn't showing. I brought him in for a few nights (esp. while he was sick) but this is just too small a space for him. It'd be fine if I could shift him around to more active in the day, but it's too hot for him to play outside in the day and he's getting more energetic (and bigger) by the day. I'm not happy with it, but it's less stressful for both of us to just let him do his thing. It was really getting to the point where, inside or outside, the constant worry was keeping me from getting things done. So, to some extent, I've just resolved to hope for the best.

Now, that's not to say I've not stopped trying. Firstly, I've stopped leaving food out for him all day and started to get him on a feeding schedule. I feed him in the morning, then in the afternoon, and then I starve him a little bit until night. And then around 11 I hit him with the fancy feast. My hope is that by getting him to eat his biggest late at night he's going to need to nap it off. No idea if this is working or not, I'm kind of worried I'm just giving him more energy to prowl this way. Thoughts?

Secondly, I went on a big shopping spree and brought home more toys than either of us know what to do with to try and tire him out. On the bright side, I'm pretty sure he prefers playing with me to hunting in the corn fields, so if I wanted I could probably keep him occupied until he's totally worn out. However, I know you've probably all seen, but this little guy has so much energy! Every time I think he's tuckered out, he just rests a few minutes and comes back at it. I believe it helps get him snoozing earlier, but it's no guarantee. I'm working on improving my own schedule so I have time to go straight from a long play session into his big nighttime meal, I think the one-two combo might do the trick.

Lastly, I've been thinking about getting a cat-proof gate to trap him in the garage. Still not ideal, but better than getting a large cage or playpen. I'm afraid that keeping him that confined would create a very negative experience for him. I could set up a hammock or something and sleep out there to make it a little better for him, too. I'm just really bad at saying "no" to him - even just in the 20 minute car ride to the vet, his yowls for freedom really get to me.

He's getting neutered in just about a week now. He also needs a rabies vaccination ASAP - I found a small, nearly-dead bat in the garage where we spend most of our time together, so I'm thinking he caught it and brought it in for me. Ishra didn't have any bites but that doesn't stop me worrying!

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to see you were still "lurking" (we all do it....or at least I do)!

Totally understand that sometimes you've got to allow yourself a mental break from the worry. I think alot of us, on this forum in particular, get that since we're largely dealing with cats/kittens that we have little or no control over much of what happens in their lives....at least until we can start socializing, etc. It can be very tough mentally and emotionally, since all it takes for so many of us is a glimpse of that battle-scarred Tom, or bottle-brush baby jumping at grasshoppers, or that rail-thin mom we know is trying to keep a litter alive - - - and then we're hooked emotionally for good! And PLEASE be sure you cut yourself slack - - you've done SOOOOO much to take care of him and make his world better already!!! And it sounds like it's just gonna get better! It'll all work out in the end - - just probably more slowly than you'd like. :)

And I know I (again - I think most of us feel that way) ache to the core too at hearing those "yowls of agony" during car trips to the vet (they are confused, and the feeling of a car ride is weird for them - - but it's alot of drama too - - -you can't tell me that some don't know that they get extra loving if they do extra yowling. :) (I know one of ours does) I do agree - - a playpen, etc. would be hard, especially if you feel keeping him in your room is too little space for him. But don't forget it's all just a means to an end - - keeping him safe and alive until you can have him with you somewhere together. (I love that you're willing to put a hammock out to sleep with him - - is there nothing better than being wrapped around one of his little paws? :heartshape: And yup - - kittens have BOUNDLESS energy (which is why I often recommend when people adopt that they consider an older cat - OR two kittens so they can wear each other out! They're little energy machines at his age! But you're doing so much - - and it sounds like you;re doing so much RIGHT. Kudos to you, a thousand times over.

Neutering will definitely help curb wandering, etc. - - although it's not an overnight thing. It takes a bit for that giant dose of mate-driving testosterone to completely leave his system. But that will definitely help him stay put!

(and yes - - the bat was likely a gift! another reason getting the both of you somewhere where you can keep him inside -- - it keeps the chance of "mouse head gifts" on your pillow at zero - - something I learned to truly appreciate that. ;)

Keep us posted!

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Small update: Ishra's been kind enough to sacrifice his testicles, and I wasn't really expecting much change, but he's become a whole new cat. Calmer, sleepier, and, best of all, his sleep schedule seems to be adapting to ours, all on his own. Just a few weeks ago I could play with him for hours on end and he'd still go out at night - now he's only that active at dawn.

I was planning to build my own cat tower, but I found a surprisingly cheap one which now resides in the garage, and he seems to be mostly sleeping there now. Sleeping at night, too (I think). So, all in all, we're in a much better spot now. Now my main worry is keeping him inside, when the time comes...

Attachments