Keeping Neighbor's Cats out of Vegetable Garden

symplestytches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

so a month ago, i caught some "stray/feral" cats. turns out they were the neighbor's indoor/outdoor kittens, that were starting to be allowed to be full time outdoor cats. well, they're on my property every day now, and though they now have collars and ident tags, they are messing with my veggie garden! I know the neighbors are fully aware that their cats run loose throughout the neighborhood, and will not do anything to stop them from coming over. there is a chain-link fence between out two properties, and i'm hoping that by finding the hole in the fence and repairing it that this will keep them out of my garden, since then they will have to go down to the street and around to get there. 

They have also been peeing at my front door. it stopped for a while, then started up again last night. i have strictly indoor cats, so I think this is why they are doing it (the neighbor's cats are 3 male, 2 female).

my garden is in a wooden fenced area, and i plan to put either chicken wire or deer fencing along the outside of the wooden fence, to block between the slats, and maybe put carpet tack strips along the top as well.  is there something else I can do (other can cover the beds with prickly things, since I actually want to use these are veggie gardens)?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know you feel the neighbors are unwilling to do anything but honestly I think the sensible thing to do first is at least try to talk to them. They may surprise you and if not at least you did try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

symplestytches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we have talked to them in the past, when i "accidentally" trapped their cats in a humane trap, and they mentioned that there was a hole in the fence that they haven't fixed yet. i wish i had their email, cuz i hate talking on the phone with people.  I want to offer to repair the part of the fence that is broken, but I don't know how they will take it, since it's their fence, not mine. but then, it's also their cats, not mine, that are roaming the neighborhood that's full of cars and coyotes and stuff.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree. They may not even be aware that it's going on. If you make it seem like you're concerned for the cats' welfare (some plants are poisonous to cats), they may be receptive. Let them know what you're willing to do on your end to "keep their cats safe" and they may be willing to work with you on their end. good luck. these situations can be touchy

symplestytches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
definitely touchy. supposedly, one of the cats is their "most favorite" yet it roams around the block indiscriminately. i just don't get it, but whatever. I will leave a note in their mailbox, with my email address, letting them know that their kitties are roaming again, and that i'd like to assist with fixing the fence, if that will keep them on their side. what else should i leave in their mail with the note, if anything? 

how does one deter them from peeing on my doorstep, since they've started that up again? i was thinking just lemon extract on the door step, and around the perimeter of the front porch?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would start the note (which is a great idea) by being as civil and even kind as possible. Say you hope they are well and that you are writing about the cats. You know that when you spoke before they spoke of fixing the fence, but unfortunately the cats are still coming into your yard daily. That you've tried to give them time to fix the fence because you understand how busy life can be, but that the cats have unfortunately become a real problem for you, your garden, and even your house. That you are writing to ask what you can do to help them address this problem, and you want them to know you'd be 100% happy to help them fix the fence.

Then leave your name, address and a phone number and ask them to please contact you within a week to discuss this further. Then at the very end I'd add something like I hope we can work this out between ourselves without my needing to take further action.

As a side note, don't judge them too harshly for letting the cat out in and of itself. People truly do have vastly different ideas and experiences on indoor vs outdoor cats and many people who do let cats out judge those who keep them indoors just as fiercely :/ Letting the cats out doesn't mean they don't love them. the real issue is their irresponsibility about the fence.

Last edited:

symplestytches

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
@tulosai - thank you so much for that! i want to write the note, just didn't know how to make it sound without being blunt. my husband and i don't even mind them roaming our property, just as long as they don't mark our doors/porch and use my flower beds and veggie garden as their personal potties. i try not to judge, it's just hard cuz i know how dangerous it is outside and know that most folks don't let their dogs roam freely, so why the cats? but that's a different issue entirely. for now, i just want to not come across kitty wee and poos in my garden and every time i open the front door.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really do understand totally and also understand it's hard not to judge- I used to be a lot more judgemental about it too but then I moved to Europe and like everyone thinks we're cruel not to let our cats out lol so it really gave me a different perspective on why people do want to let cats out...

Anyway good luck! Let us know how they respond.