Keeping Kittens

janeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray pregnant kitty. ..she gave birth to 4 babies and I have decided to keep 1 or possibly 2 of the kittens and of course mama. ..my question is will they live happily or will this be upsetting for mama cat?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It really depends on the mom. A lot of times mom cats will start to distance themselves from the kittens when it is time to wean. Once you get the mom spayed, sometimes it is almost like inteoducing cats that never knew each other. Other times the mom cat reaccepts the kittens as if nothing had happened.

There is nothing you can do to predict or influence how the mom cat will react. You should be prepared to have to reintroduce the kittens you keep to mom after the spay.

In most cases, once the kittens are about 12 weeks there is a breif seperation so her milk will dry before the spay. Then healing some from the spay so kittens trying to nurse don't hurt her stitches. After shes fully healed try to introduce and see how it goes. If she accepts, them wonderful. If not, just do slow introductions as if they were unknown to her. Eventually, they will likely live happily as a family unit. From what I have seen its along the lines of 50/50 on if mom will recognize and accept the kittens after being away or if she will need time for reintroduction.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try not to let her go into heat again; that's usually when they chase off the older kittens. She can be spayed when they're around 8-12 weeks old, try to have it done as soon as your vet is willing. Unfortunately they do sometimes go into heat before that but hopefully not. Have the kittens spayed/neutered as soon as possible too, or she may start seeing them as threats. Try to pick her favorites---most mama cats prefer their sons but if she seems especially close to a daughter that's fine too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Try not to let her go into heat again; that's usually when they chase off the older kittens. She can be spayed when they're around 8-12 weeks old, try to have it done as soon as your vet is willing. Unfortunately they do sometimes go into heat before that but hopefully not. Have the kittens spayed/neutered as soon as possible too, or she may start seeing them as threats. Try to pick her favorites---most mama cats prefer their sons but if she seems especially close to a daughter that's fine too.
Thank you for your advice. ..very helpful. ..unfortunately she went into heat and her appt for spay isn't til the 26th of Sept, that's the earliest I could get her in. She is a great mom to her kittens even when in heat. .lol. .one kitten has been adopted and possibly another on Sunday. Her kittens are 10 and a half weeks old.When she comes home from her surgery should I keep them separated for a day or 2?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could you get the kittens fixed at the same time as mom? That way, no one will want to rough house and they will all smell the same. I have found that whenever I get kittens done at the same time, there seems to be a bigger bond between them. Don't know why that is, but it's something I've noticed.

janeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It really depends on the mom. A lot of times mom cats will start to distance themselves from the kittens when it is time to wean. Once you get the mom spayed, sometimes it is almost like inteoducing cats that never knew each other. Other times the mom cat reaccepts the kittens as if nothing had happened.

There is nothing you can do to predict or influence how the mom cat will react. You should be prepared to have to reintroduce the kittens you keep to mom after the spay.

In most cases, once the kittens are about 12 weeks there is a breif seperation so her milk will dry before the spay. Then healing some from the spay so kittens trying to nurse don't hurt her stitches. After shes fully healed try to introduce and see how it goes. If she accepts, them wonderful. If not, just do slow introductions as if they were unknown to her. Eventually, they will likely live happily as a family unit. From what I have seen its along the lines of 50/50 on if mom will recognize and accept the kittens after being away or if she will need time for reintroduction.
Thank you for your response. ..

Thank you. ...
Could you get the kittens fixed at the same time as mom? That way, no one will want to rough house and they will all smell the same. I have found that whenever I get kittens done at the same time, there seems to be a bigger bond between them. Don't know why that is, but it's something I've noticed.
I'll ask my vet. .but she said spay and neuter at 6 months when I called to book apt for mama

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll ask my vet. .but she said spay and neuter at 6 months when I called to book apt for mama
I've noticed that with a lot of vets. Mine have always been done between 10-12 weeks. The clinics up here want them done early.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've noticed that with a lot of vets. Mine have always been done between 10-12 weeks. The clinics up here want them done early.
Rescues and S/N clinics want it done early most veterinarians that you pay to take your cat to want to wait. I had to make a case to get mine done at 5 months. My Little Mercy was done at 8 weeks. A healthy kitten should be able to handle a S/N with no issue. When one cat comes back from the vet they don't smell right which is what leads to the reintroduction blues for the guardians. Lots of cat owners here take their cats in for shots on the same day just to avoid that issue.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My vet didn't want to neuter Link until 6 months. I took him to the clinic who did it at 3 pounds and just told my vet after. Rocket was nearly 8 months for her spay but she was malnourished and underweight so we had to wait for her health.

I'd call around and see if any clinics will neuter earlier. Neuters are extremely low risk and quick so those can be done anywhere. Spays, I am a little pickier on after a bad experience.

janeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Rescues and S/N clinics want it done early most veterinarians that you pay to take your cat to want to wait. I had to make a case to get mine done at 5 months. My Little Mercy was done at 8 weeks. A healthy kitten should be able to handle a S/N with no issue. When one cat comes back from the vet they don't smell right which is what leads to the reintroduction blues for the guardians. Lots of cat owners here take their cats in for shots on the same day just to avoid that issue.
Thank you for the advice. ..mama cat had her shots the other day. ..and I'll take the kittens in for theirs together. ..yes you're right about most vets telling you to wait to get them spay and neuter. I rescued her from the streets not a center so they won't help me out with this or the cost either. ..but I'm glad she found me, she is a sweetheart and I don't think she or her kittens would have made it out there. She (I named her Gia )was very weak and very pregnant when she came to me.....❤

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check with your local clinic. Half of mine were not shelter cats, but were rescued or given to me. The clinic would fix them at 12 weeks.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. ..mama cat had her shots the other day. ..and I'll take the kittens in for theirs together. ..yes you're right about most vets telling you to wait to get them spay and neuter. I rescued her from the streets not a center so they won't help me out with this or the cost either. ..but I'm glad she found me, she is a sweetheart and I don't think she or her kittens would have made it out there. She (I named her Gia )was very weak and very pregnant when she came to me.....❤
I went through the same thing. We kept the kits but ended up surrendering mama Tera to a no kill shelter for a few hundred dollars. She's in a great home now and the babies are my lovely Tabbinese Tigers. No one helped us either but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Tera + 2 - 4
Thank you for caring. Sometimes it's one cat by one person and it makes a difference. Fixing Gia and her Kits means the cycle of overbreeding stops with them.
Keep us updated with LOTS of pictures please.

janeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I went through the same thing. We kept the kits but ended up surrendering mama Tera to a no kill shelter for a few hundred dollars. She's in a great home now and the babies are my lovely Tabbinese Tigers. No one helped us either but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
Tera + 2 - 4
Thank you for caring. Sometimes it's one cat by one person and it makes a difference. Fixing Gia and her Kits means the cycle of overbreeding stops with them.
Keep us updated with LOTS of pictures please.
Thank you for the kind words. ..I will share updates. .

janeto

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My vet didn't want to neuter Link until 6 months. I took him to the clinic who did it at 3 pounds and just told my vet after. Rocket was nearly 8 months for her spay but she was malnourished and underweight so we had to wait for her health.

I'd call around and see if any clinics will neuter earlier. Neuters are extremely low risk and quick so those can be done anywhere. Spays, I am a little pickier on after a bad experience.
Thank you. ..I will ask different vets. ..so I can get the male neutered as soon as possible. ..