Keeping Kitten In Crate After Spay: How Often To Let Out To Use Litter Box?

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitten Zelda got spayed this morning and they said to put her in a dark room overnight while the anesthetic wears off. I don't have a spare room so I'm keeping her in a large crate. I'm offering food and water every few hours. I was just wondering how often I should take her out to let her use the litter box? I can't let her out because Rick and Morty like to play rough and wrestle and also because the dog we're fostering loves chasing the cats around but Zelda isn't allowed to run or jump for a while. So, how often should I take her out to let her use the litter box?

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How large is the crate? Can you purchase, or make, a small litterbox for Zelda to keep in the corner of the crate? (You just never know what she'll need/want it, she's just a kitten who may have not set up a "regular" pattern of peeing & pooping yet... so you may not know that she'll even "go" in a litter box when you let her out of the crate -- she might PLAY instead!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never had to care for an animal who's been spayed before. Here's a picture 20170908_104644.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is it possible to confine her to a bathroom? Then you could put a litter box in with her.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There was some litter on Zelda's spay site but I picked all of it out. The site does look kind of agitated though. Will she be alright? I notice some white-ish substance although I might just be tripping. But it's definitely a bit more red/open than yesterday. 20170909_091817.jpg

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How large is the crate? Can you purchase, or make, a small litterbox for Zelda to keep in the corner of the crate? (You just never know what she'll need/want it, she's just a kitten who may have not set up a "regular" pattern of peeing & pooping yet... so you may not know that she'll even "go" in a litter box when you let her out of the crate -- she might PLAY instead!)
I've actually found that she's pretty good at going when I put her in there 3-4 times a day; usually a bit after i give her food.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Moderators can you change the title of the thread to something like "Spay Updates Daily: Opinions Wanted"

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Doesn't seem like many people are seeing this thread but I'll post my updates anyway because I didn't have anyone's daily pictures to look at and I want to be able to help someone if they're in my situation. This is day 3 post-op. We went to a free vaccine clinic to get Zelda her 2nd set of 3in1 today and they said her spay site looked good other than the little bump which as long as we monitor should be fine :D
20170910_192420.jpg

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The wound looks better now than it did at first. Just keep an eye on it. Mine still have a small bump and they were spayed 3 months ago. It's getting smaller so yours may do the same as mine.

BTW, it's not that the thread is not being noticed, I believe that it's because the U.S. has been a little pre-occupied lately. First Harvey and now Irma (within weeks of each other). I know I have not been on TCS as much and have been keeping an eye on the storm, even though it doesn't affect me personally.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Spay picture day 4
20170911_195149.jpg (the fur on the bottom is tail fur, which is why it's so long)

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's 5 days post spay and while she isn't totally healed yet I think she's good enough to be let out of the area we've been confining her to. Do you guys think her brothers will be too rough with her when playing?

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. To me, it looks like it wasn't stitched tight enough.
I would let her out to play...by herself. At least for a little while longer. Wait to let her play with the others.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I noticed her chewing on it and stopped her. I then proceeded to buy a baby onesie to make her wear until day 10 just in case she starts chewing again. It looked a bit bad so I called and made an appointment at the place I got her spayed for a check up. So now we're back to letting her out several times a day to use the litter box, but also have to take off the onesie as well. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do for love.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: she has an infection. They cleaned her spay site and gave me a cone and some antibiotics to give her. They also stapled her incision closed. I have to come back in 7-10 days to get them removed if everything goes well

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't think it was stitched properly. Glad you got her to the vet. She will do better now.

KalicoKitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We bought a popup playpen that we're gonna put zelda in with a little litter box so that she has more room than a medium crate. It'll be here in 2 days

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one of those. Don't know where it's been all my life.
Unfortunately, it won't keep the kittens in anymore.