Keeping indoor cat stimulated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charlie'sMommie

If he's big on the "food chase" how about one of those toys that you can put treats in. I can't remember the brand name but I've seen them at WalMart. They are a plastic ball with holes. You put the treats (or food) in the centre and then as the kitty bashes the toy around the food falls out and they get a snack. I have a friend who gives her cat one of his meals this way (his breakfast goes in and it takes him most of the day to get it out) so that way he's not really getting "extra" food, just his regular rations.
Hmm. I'll look for one of those balls. I tried putting some treats in that round thing with the ball in it. He poked at it for awhile, then gave up. I guess it might work better if he could actually get them out
. I think what he likes though is batting it down and / or pouncing on it. I've said if cats ever organize a hockey team, I'm signing him up for goalie! He's so cute when he plays. BTW, he doesn't really get extra food, I take it out his bowl to toss it. And Cindy loves to watch him, but she doesn't see any need to chase it when it's right there in front of her for the taking.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Also, though it's controversial, the Cat Sitter DVD is a hit around here
Why is it controversial? I was halfway thinking about getting one for Cindy. That commercial with the little prarie dogs squeaking came on and she jumped up and stared at the tv. She likes to watch tv, in general. I'm afraid I would have lots of scratches on my tv though from Swanie, he's rarely content to just watch.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people feel the video is frustrating to the cats to watch. I think it depends on the cat. None of my cats seemed frustrated by it - one really seems interested in watching it, one is mildly interested, and the other two don't even seem to notice it.

If you know someone who has the video, perhaps you could borrow it and see how your cats react to it - if they seem to like it, and don't seem frustrated or annoyed by it (chasing around behind the TV and/or acting stressed) it might be worth getting it for your cats.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

Some people feel the video is frustrating to the cats to watch. I think it depends on the cat. None of my cats seemed frustrated by it - one really seems interested in watching it, one is mildly interested, and the other two don't even seem to notice it.

If you know someone who has the video, perhaps you could borrow it and see how your cats react to it - if they seem to like it, and don't seem frustrated or annoyed by it (chasing around behind the TV and/or acting stressed) it might be worth getting it for your cats.
Well, that makes sense. I know Swanie gets frustrated as heck watching the birds and squirrels out the window. I always feel bad, like it's teasing him that he can see and not get out there. I'm not sure about the tv. When we first got him, he must not have seen tv before, because he ran around it and such, but now he either watches it calmly or ignores it.

Have to think about the video. I expect Cindy would be the one interested, but once she knew they weren't "real" she would lose interest.

emma195

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Well, that makes sense. I know Swanie gets frustrated as heck watching the birds and squirrels out the window. I always feel bad, like it's teasing him that he can see and not get out there. I'm not sure about the tv. When we first got him, he must not have seen tv before, because he ran around it and such, but now he either watches it calmly or ignores it.

Have to think about the video. I expect Cindy would be the one interested, but once she knew they weren't "real" she would lose interest.
hi misty
i have one cat aged 5yrs male.william .i live in a flat second floor so he has been indoors since i had him as a kitten, he has a good vantage point for looking at birds etc ,but i do feel a bit guilty like yourself ,that he cant get to the real thing also ,flat downstairs has four cats and one dog and he sometimes looks at them ,but the way my entrance is situated and a very busy main road ,there no way it would be safe for him to go out.
But other than that he seems quite happy .