keeping her off the stove

alayna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi so i realize this topic has been done plenty times before, but here it goes. I just can't keep my cat from jumping on the stove. The stove is right beside a window, so she uses the stove as means to get to that window, even though there are other windows at the front of our house, Thankfully we haven't had any accidents yet (knocks on wood), but i am worried that will happen one day. I have tried wetting my hand and fling some water on her, (learned recently to make sure not to get it on her face), but all that does is make her run away. any ideas would be much appreciated :)

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give her something to use to get to the window other than the stove.   If you don't want to spend money on it, it's possible even a chair could do.  I'd recommend a cat tree or kitty condo. Then whenever she tries to reach the window through the stove, instead of just putting her down or on the window, put her on the new object and show her she can go from there.

As for the rest, water will probably not be effective (especially if no luck so far).  The better way to consistently train her is to pick her up and set her on the floor EVERY time you see her on the stove.  It may take a long long while but eventually she will get teh message.

I feel your pain.  I have a gas stove.  They don't go on it in front of me ever (and actually never have), but twice in my time with them I've woken up to find it on, gas spilling into my apartment, as they casually slept it off on the sofa.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alayna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you tulosai for the advice. i probably will try putting a chair there for now. as far as putting her down when i see her there, she is very sneaky and as soon as i get up she usually jumps down and runs away.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thank you tulosai for the advice. i probably will try putting a chair there for now. as far as putting her down when i see her there, she is very sneaky and as soon as i get up she usually jumps down and runs away.
I heard if you put foil anywhere you don't want the cat to go,they won't go there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alayna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i did try tin foil, but it dosent do much good unless i cover the entire stove in it lol For now when we use the stove top, i put some water in the pan and leave it on the burner until it cools down, so far it works and she dosent go near the hot burners anymore. 

miskinsincap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, i did try tin foil, but it dosent do much good unless i cover the entire stove in it lol For now when we use the stove top, i put some water in the pan and leave it on the burner until it cools down, so far it works and she dosent go near the hot burners anymore. 
I was gonna suggest you to boil some water on it while she's in the room. I have no idea why, but boiling water seems to be the only way that my Peanut acknowledges that stove is a big no-no. I had to change my stove a few times, and each time she treated the new stove as a piece of harmless furniture to climb and even sleep on, untill she saw water boiling on it. Be careful though, needless to say, don't leave her unsupervised with hot water, not even for a second.