keeping cool

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so summer has finally hit where I live, and I'm wondering how to keep Isis and saki cool through this heat. neither are overweight, and they have been choosing spots in the shade to rest and such. I have a couple of 14"x14" tiles set on the ground for them to rest upon, should they choose to, since those are generally cooler than the carpet. I used to have marble tiles, but the rabbits thomped one too many times and broke them. we don't have a/c in the main living areas, and locking the cats in the bedrooms doesn't seem fair. I have a few frozen towels that I will be setting out to see if they will like those, and they have multiple watering holes, including a filtered water fountain, but what other ways can I cool them down and encourage them to drink more water?

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any temperature you as a human can tolerate, the cats can tolerate just fine. They are a desert adapted species after all.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It can get into the 90's in my conservatory but my fur kids love it, especially Sophie.

They sometimes come inside the house where it's cooler or lie on the floor, but what l usually do is to get a cold damp face cloth and rub them down with it when it's at it's warmest, and l put ice in their water bowl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twobananaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<sorry it's taken so long to reply>

thanks for the reassurances Ducman and Rosiemac. I only really know about rabbits, and how finicky they are about heat and such, so I worried that the girls would be getting too hot, being both long-ish haired cats and all. they seem to be fine though, and I do mix extra water into their wet food in the evenings to make sure they stay well hydrated. I was observing Isis today, and she will move places every 30-45 minutes or so during the hotter parts of the day, from a shady spot to a sunny spot and back again (although I think Saki is hiding in my sister's room where there's an window a/c running). anyway, thanks again for your info!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I really notice with my really big long-hair Ragdoll boy is that he lies on hard floors on his back. All the other cats, long and short hair, just seem to sleep a lot more when it's warm.