Keeping cats with their owner

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of any boarding facilities that will work temporarily with a displace person who is trying to keep their three cats? Someone who can act as a temp foster. A modest fee along with food and litter can be provided. Does anyone know of anybody or any organizations that can help?
Thank you.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would contact some of the local shelters. Lots of shelters are run by kind hearted people who, if the situation was explained, would be happy to try to organise something temporarily while the owner figures some stuff out, especially if they can help support the animals in the mean time :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I would contact some of the local shelters. Lots of shelters are run by kind hearted people who, if the situation was explained, would be happy to try to organise something temporarily while the owner figures some stuff out, especially if they can help support the animals in the mean time :)
Thank you, that is very helpful to know.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'd start with the shelters. But a few other thoughts... If the person is a member of a church or is a veteran or belongs to any organizations, perhaps someone from one of those groups could help. You could also try contacting the local cat rescues or the SPCA/humane society to see if they have anyone who could foster the cats.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'd start with the shelters. But a few other thoughts... If the person is a member of a church or is a veteran or belongs to any organizations, perhaps someone from one of those groups could help. You could also try contacting the local cat rescues or the SPCA/humane society to see if they have anyone who could foster the cats.
Thank you for your suggestions and I am going to pass them on. Never thought of local shelters, that will be a good start. Even if someone can't help they may know of someone who can. Thank you again.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, there is a trend to try and keep pets with their owners. The person must do the legwork to find the connections. Contacting every resource is crucial. Networking is how it happens. Maybe you could post the general area where help is needed? The state maybe?
Jcatbird Jcatbird and jefferd18 jefferd18 I know that the NYCACC system, for one, is actively doing this. bestfriends.org has boots on the ground there and they are very determined in this effort, so their website is a good place to go: Pet-inclusive Housing *This is directed more at groups than at individuals. But if the person searches "Keeping pets with their guardians" they will find a plethora of listings, some of which may be helpful in addressing their specific needs.* Best Friends is Best Friends Animal Society (BFAS) for those who don't know.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 Thank you so much! Excellent info! This is a time sensitive issue and that may help to keep those kitties where they need to be.
It's also worth noting that with the pandemic still being in full force and the previous Surgeon General's disastrous policy of making spay & neuter "elective" rather than the essential lifesaving and community-beneficial service it is and needs to be, even private citizens are waiting MONTHS to get their own cats spayed & neutered, so cats are out there and shelters are full beyond capacity. Cats are at great risk now. There aren't places for them to go, so many times, unless people step up and assume personal responsibility for adopting, fostering, and caring for them, as they should anyway.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 That is so true. In this case, we just need a temporary foster for a little while. One human to step up. Surely one can do this?
Fosters……. We need you all! I know burn out is a reality but the rewards are huge. If anyone here has fostered before but has any space now, please, please step forward. If I had any space open, this would already be solved.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 That is so true. In this case, we just need a temporary foster for a little while. One human to step up. Surely one can do this?
Fosters……. We need you all! I know burn out is a reality but the rewards are huge. If anyone here has fostered before but has any space now, please, please step forward. If I had any space open, this would already be solved.
Again, IDK how helpful Best Friends can be but they do have boots on the ground in ATL as well as their wonderful site with all those links designed to get people involved.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Just so you know, there is a trend to try and keep pets with their owners. The person must do the legwork to find the connections. Contacting every resource is crucial. Networking is how it happens. Maybe you could post the general area where help is needed? The state maybe?

The state is Missouri, the general area is Jefferson county.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 and Jcatbird Jcatbird for all of your help and interest. Unfortunately bestfriends does not offer that service, their goal is to rescue cats and adopt them out. I put a call out to gateway pet guardians. I have a feeling that while they can offer free food to pet owners, they will probably not be able to house them.

In this day and age I find it baffling that some pet boarding facilities can not offer a sliding scale to those who are struggling to keep their pets. No discounts, no anything.
I am having difficulty with joining nextdoor.com but I have a call out to them so hopefully I will be able to join in short time.

Thank you again, ladies, for all of your suggestions and brainstorming. That is what is needed here.

Last edited:

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
nextdoor.com might have some local people who would be willing to foster, especially if the food were provided. Someone just posted here about needing a volunteer to drive an elderly parent and his elderly dog to the dog park twice a week and people did come forward.

Thank you, fionasmom fionasmom . I have been told that site can be very helpful. I am having a hard time becoming a member because of the verification process but I am planing on scanning my ID to them tomorrow so hopefully that will get me aboard.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know of any boarding facilities that will work temporarily with a displace person who is trying to keep their three cats? Someone who can act as a temp foster. A modest fee along with food and litter can be provided. Does anyone know of anybody or any organizations that can help?
Thank you.
This information does not pertain directly to the post, but I ran across it elsewhere today and wanted to share it. For people seeking cat-friendly rentals, it's suggested that they go to Apartments.com and Zillow.com, input the zip code they are seeking to locate in, top $$$ they are willing to pay, and click the indicators for cat-friendly and/or animals-friendly. I thought this might help in the longer run if the person is able to find a rental place. I just checked the first link and from the homepage, if they scroll down to the bottom, they can click directly on THIS: Pet Friendly Apartments for Rent and then on the listed location(s).

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
jefferd18 jefferd18 You got a lot of good advice so far. In my neck of the woods Animal Control had a program, where a person who was in a bad situation(temporarily homeless) could pay a small fee and have there pets boarded for a little while. I am not the biggest fan of ACC, but some pet parents said that program was a lifesaver. Perhaps the Humane Society would have a similar program. It is a shame you can't find a vet who would charge a reasonable boarding fee. Outside of vets and organizations, maybe a friend or family member could take the kitties in for a little while.

I hope you find help soon. Best of luck. 🙂