Keeping cats off TV stand

sarah54

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We don't know what to do, they constantly jump onto the TV stand and try to scratch at the TV (they both have claws and we have an LCD TV). We can't spray them because of all the electrical equipment.

We have tried tin foil but they like walking on it.

What can we do?!?!?!

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried making a loud noise like clapping your hands when they jump up there?

I read on another thread about a person who left their vacuum plugged in so they could turn it on whenever their cat got too interested in getting outside. Maybe that's an option for you.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wide tape (masking tape, for example) sticky side up.

atinsley

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You could also put orange peels in a cup near the TV because most cats hate the smell of citrus. However you would have to put in fresh peels every couple of days.

Overall I recommend trying the masking tape.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can go to Lowe's or Home Depot and get plastic carpet runners. Cut them to the desired size and then place them on top of the TV stand with the little nubs pointed up. Once or twice landing on the nubs should take care of the problem.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had excellent results with Ssscat. It is an aerosol spray that emits an invisible beam. When a cat crosses it, it automatically sprays a sharp burst of harmless air.

You say you can't use a spray bottle, but this can be set up directed away from the screen. I have never had it fail me. It scares the cat, and he does not try again.

You can use other homemade things, but I find nothing works like being startled! I have scared myself from time to time! You can get it at most large pet stores. It isn't cheap, but it's less than a new television.

Google it.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
do they scratch at front or back? my Marshmallow will go behind my huge 50" plasma and have himself a good 5min scratch right in the middle of American Idol
I just put up with it... but if it's the front, try 'paws away' or any double sided sticky tape, cats hate it and i have very good results in other places in my house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah54

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They scratch the front and back, its getting unbearable!

I think we're going to try the double sided tape and see if that helps

Thanks for all the advice!