Keeping Cats Off The Computer/Study Materials?

mildlyironic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's day five and my kittens have made it into my bedroom. They're super adorable! And I love them!

Except that I'm also studying to take the bar exam, and it's....difficult.

No really.

Really Hard.

Anyone have tips on how to keep them off my computer and bar review materials? I feel bad just constantly moving them when they just want to sleep on my arm - not to mention, it doesn't seem that effective.

Thanks in advance!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Awww, that would be so distracting!  Who wouldn't want to play with adorable kittens instead of study?!  I used to work at home and basically just got used to having a cat on my lap most of the time.  I couldn't bring myself to shut them out.  But when you need to study without distraction, can you shut them out of the room you're studying in?  Or how about giving them comfy little beds in another part of the room to snooze in?  Or an interactive toy that would keep them distracted elsewhere?

Good luck with the bar exam!!

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Will "bait books" work? Put a pile of books you aren't actually reading, and either put them there or encourage them to sleep on those books. For example, pretend to read the books you don't need, and when they settle down on those piles, you can read your actual books.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bait books...LOL!!!

I'm studying for nursing boards, so I can appreciate needing study space (and "get off my paperwork!").  I just find something to distract them or direct them to another spot they like.  They like laying by my feet, so I prop the laptop in my lap and direct them to my feet when in the recliner.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mildlyironic

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I LOVE the bait books idea! They just got let into my bedroom this morning, but now that I have a better sense of where they like to settle, I think a lot of these ideas will work better now - directing them to those spots, making them EXTRA SNUGGLY, bait-booking them :) If I have to, I'll shut them back into the bathroom, but I do love having them around <3

Funnily enough, I finally moved their cat furniture (which was a preferred sleeping space) from the bathroom (their confinement space), and they got super displeased at me. At least, they don't sleep in it right now, haha. My fault for making too many changes 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Bait books...LOL!!!
 It worked for me! My cat has his own pretty little water bowl, yet he never touches it. He, however, would come up to my desk and drink out of MY cup. So I got him a bait cup. Filled it with water, and put it nearby. When he tries to drink from mine, I swap the cups and he drinks from the bait cup.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Nilah is sitting on the keyboard as I try to type... maybe I need a 'bait keyboard'

Gorgeous pics @mildlyironic   and good luck!