Keeping Cats Off My Car

decible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First thing's first. I like cats. I have a cat. He's a butthead, but I love him. But I've got a problem with my neighbor's cats. She has six cats that spend most of their time outside. They run in her house to eat, but mostly they like to be out. One of their favorite spots to lounge is on top of my car. I suppose because it's high up, fairly flat, and they can see. I'm sure it's a sweet spot if your a cat. Problem is, I don't want them on my car. I like my car to stay clean. They get muddy little paw prints all over it. Also ... and this is the worst ... sometimes they vomit on my car.

I don't want to hurt them, I just want them to stay off the car. Period. They know they shouldn't be there, because when I approach them they scurry off. I tried buying a squirt gun, so I could punish them quickly and silently from a distance, so they wouldn't have the chance to run from it. But, alas, that doesn't seem to be detouring them. They hate the water, but they haven't made the connection that "getting on the man's car equals getting sprayed." I thought about trying other things in the squirt gun, like vinegar or water mixed with a little chili power ... but that just seems mean. Like I said I don't want to hurt them I just want them to stay off the car.

So, any suggestions you might have would be appreciated. The cheaper the better. Ive tried talking to my neighbor about her cats, but she isn't proactive about helping me with this. It Isn't her car so she doesn't care. Yeah, shes a real gem.

Last edited by a moderator:

crcyclone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your neighbor doesn't care? She should be proactive about this, her cats are damaging other people's property. It shouldn't be up to you to prevent someone else's cats from getting on your car, it's the cats' owner's responsibility. If they really are damaging your car, you might need to go to some authority to MAKE her proactive :p

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All I can think of is having a burglar alarm installed on your car. Then when they jump on it. The alarm will go off and scare them. I would first talk with her about the problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

decible

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alright, well, Ive tried talking to her about this, as well as various other issues in the past, to no avail. She's just "one of those" neighbors. You know? She's fifty something, bitter at where she is in life, and all she has left is her excessive amount of plants and cats. So me telling her to keep her cats in check just gets her all defensive and livid, no matter how tactful I try to be. So ... lets just assume that she wont do anything to help, and it's up to me to resolve the issue myself. What is the best course of action? I can't ask her to watch them all night. I'm pretty sure she works nights. Every time I've asked her to keep them inside at night she gives me a lecture about how "I like to be free and so do my kitties ... I just COULDN'T POSSIBLY trap them indoors all night!" and then she starts breathing real heavy and shuffling her feet. It's ridiculous but there it is. It's what I have to deal with. Is there something I can spritz on my car that will 1) keep that cats off and 2) won't damage my car/paint?

Thanks

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cover your car with a tarpaulin and spray it with bitter apple scent. When the cats start avoiding your car, you can stop using the tarp but continue to spray around the vehicle. Hope this works.

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good Idea, you should try it. At least you'll have a tarp on the car, so even if they do still go on it, it will prevent damage.

joecool

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
someplace so boring i am slowly but surely losing
Try rubbing or spraying citrus oil on your car. It smells good to us, but most cats hate it. Secondly, if the neighbor lady is "one of those people", you could involve the authorities(the police, animal control, etc.). If her cats are bothering your stuff, it is her responsibility to stop it. There are laws against that. It is her job to control her pets, not ignore your complaints. It is totally right for you to do something about it. Hopefully helpfully,

Joecool

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow you sound like you have your hands full!

Cats don't like the feel of aluminium foil under their feet. They also don't like bubble wrap, or sticky surfaces. You could try getting something sticky and pop it on top of your car, or aluminium foil, or bubble wrap. Also, try filling up some flat trays (like litter trays) with water and leaving them on the top of your car.

I know this seems like a pain but you'll only have to do it for a bit, and then they'll end up associating `top-of-car-equals-discomfort'. Once cats have learnt something (even though it might take a while to learn) it's almost impossible for them to unlearn it, they're such creatures of habit. And that's what the car thing is - it's a habit. You need to break it.

And yay for you for not being hot-headed and nasty and just downright hurting or terrifying them like a lot of people would do.

Hope this helps a bit.

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KitEKats4Eva!

Once cats have learnt something (even though it might take a while to learn) it's almost impossible for them to unlearn it, they're such creatures of habit. And that's what the car thing is - it's a habit. You need to break it.

And yay for you for not being hot-headed and nasty and just downright hurting or terrifying them like a lot of people would do.
Yes, that's right.

You've gotten some good ideas here. Another option might be to cover your car with a big piece of netting weighted down on all sides with a heavy rock or something. Cats won't like the instability of the netting and won't like trying to climb up it to get on your car. You'll only have to do it till they "learn" they don't like the car anymore.

Good luck! Let us know how things work out.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i would say get a bitter apple spray or any other cat deterrent and spray directly on top of the car. do so everytime you park it for the night, i bet in a week or so, they'll start avoiding it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you decide to spray anything on your car please check first to ensure it will not damage the paint finish.

catguy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
oop, will it? I didnt know, honest. nevermind then.

mrod1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

That'll cause harm to the cats.
Give the scented sprays some time to work first.
Thats just getting cruel, and you don't want to be responsible for vet bills. There are a lot of good ideas. I like the tarp and bitter apple idea. If it doesn't work. And your neighbor will not cooperate, then call Animal control and the police, and file a complaint. Maybe taking a proactive approach will make that lady sit up and listen. She won't want to end up in court for damage to your car.